Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 hours ago, romavillan said:

Win or lose the final Smith has been fantastic. I'd back him to get us up if we lose, I'd back the new regime to rebuild wisely and give Smith the right tools. I'd also love to see him stick to his principles and get some serious backing from the board if we do win the jackpot and get promoted.

it will be a rebuild whatever happens.....its just a question of the quality of player or where we go shopping.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Wasnt the big wembley pitch rumbled as a myth ? VP and wembley are in fact similar size pitches..

Yes that’s what I was saying I probably didn’t make it clear 🙂

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

it will be a rebuild whatever happens.....its just a question of the quality of player or where we go shopping.

Id actually like us to shop in the same place if we go up as we would have if we stayed down. The last thing we want is to start throwing money around.

Itd be great to convert the loans of Tammy, Hause, Mings, and El Ghazi, but other than that I’d like to see us being very very careful..

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Id actually like us to shop in the same place if we go up as we would have if we stayed down. The last thing we want is to start throwing money around.

Itd be great to convert the loans of Tammy, Hause, Mings, and El Ghazi, but other than that I’d like to see us being very very careful..

Me too Terry, but not sure it will be.

I would expect Tammy and Mings, to not be cheap.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Me too Terry, but not sure it will be.

I would expect Tammy and Mings, to not be cheap.

Well I don’t mind that. I’d happily throw a small fortune at those 4...5 if we can get Axel aswell. That’d be £60-£100m well spent. No Unknown’s there.

Weve plenty of money, so it’s not the cost that’d bother me, but the type we’d get. So I’d rather we blew a small (?!) fortune on those guys then utilise youth and scouting for the other 5.

• Like 2

Wouldn't imagine mings would be more than 8 to 10 million

El ghazi thought it was a 6 million agreed fee ?

Hause I thought was a 3 million agreed fee ?

Tammy the numbers seem to be between 16 at 25 million.

Let's hope we win our next game!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Last 15 games or so, I agree 

Lets not forget there has been a lot of poor stuff this year under Bruce and that spell under Smith

Delighted with the turnaround though! 

Totally agree! That's what i mean, it was so turgid and awful and i'd completely given up hope and accepted that Grealish was leaving ect. 

I think that's why it's been such an enjoyable season, it's been snatched from the jaws of hopelessness. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Watching the changing room celebratory videos after the match, you could see the squad harmony and passion that Dean has fostered in the players.

Even fringe players or those not involved in the matchday squad are all enjoying the ride together. You can see how it's all based on the core principle Dean's spoken about in many interviews - "Being a good teammate."

He, along with the rest of the backroom team, deserve so much credit for what they've been able to accomplish so far. 

Spot on 👍

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2019 at 20:28, terrytini said:

I disagree to some extent. There are sensible risks we can take in the transfer market which will improve our chances of staying up. We just need to get the maths right.

In some positions we look weak even by Championship standards, and these weaknesses will be ruthlessly exposed in the Premier League. I'd be willing to pay a premium for a defensive midfielder with some top-flight experience, and likewise for a couple of decent full backs. Ideally players with a good injury history. The premium for proven quality players in these positions is less financially risky than forking out on a big name striker, and I think it would be money well spent.

But I agree in the sense that we shouldn't just start flashing the cash at old players with no resale value, or injury prone strikers, or a Billy Big Balls who's going to upset the changing room. We need to have a long-term plan, and part of that plan should be accepting that we may be scrapping with Brighton etc for 17th place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I disagree to some extent. There are sensible risks we can take in the transfer market which will improve our chances of staying up. We just need to get the maths right.

In some positions we look weak even by Championship standards, and these weaknesses will be ruthlessly exposed in the Premier League. I'd be willing to pay a premium for a defensive midfielder with some top-flight experience, and likewise for a couple of decent full backs. Ideally players with a good injury history. The premium for proven quality players in these positions is less financially risky than forking out on a big name striker, and I think it would be money well spent.

But I agree in the sense that we shouldn't just start flashing the cash at old players with no resale value, or injury prone strikers, or a Billy Big Balls who's going to upset the changing room. We need to have a long-term plan, and part of that plan should be accepting that we may be scrapping with Brighton etc for 17th place.

I think the other major consideration is.....Dean has built an impressive team spirit in such a short space of time.....He will not want to pull that asunder, for some mouth watering prospect that deems to be short term.

The camaraderie he has developed is central to our mini-success....I think he will be very mindful to secure that.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2019 at 20:28, terrytini said:

I do think you make a very valid point Terry.....It is a balancing act of course and if players have a sell on value it is less of a risk.

But , highlighting your point, if there is a single way to test the stability of a club or disrupt the enthusiasm of the owners it is to waste big money.....It derails clubs and dilutes enthusiasm from everyone....it creates that evil commodity, that engulfs badly run clubs.....DOUBT.

I think the club will be very mindful of the last 10 years or so....but we can't sit on our hands either.....but we all know that.

The recruitment going forward will be crucial to our success, but I think we have a good, vibrant , sensible manager, who has a vision for long term employment with the club he and his family love.....you can't over value that.

I think we have a real chance of progress this time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Deans love for the club has been contagious, its helped Jack spread the Gospel according to William McGregor.

I can see that change coming like we had under Saunders and Taylor, where the club is getting its soul back.

We have a long way to go and the final is important....but if we fail at Wembley, I still feel that the momentum of change will continue under this manager until we reach the holy grail.

Me too.

Id be genuinely sad if we don’t go up, not for the Premier League, but losing Axel, Tammy, Jack, there genuinely feels like such a great vibe.  Having said that, that vibe didn’t happen by accident, so I’m confident if we don’t go up we will retain it, and prosper next season.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yes, but I began by being happy to spend upwards of £60m for the loan players we have..( with of course wages on top) ...so much more than that we would be into the £100m plus bracket.....that’s pushing it for Year 1 !

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

On 16/05/2019 at 09:00, NIVillan said:

When Paul Lambert went off and spoke to Pep at Bayern he had us play a passing game that meant we had the majority of possession in most games.  We were still shite and played like shite because we didnt create anything.  He got sacked.  Even Timmy improved on that by getting us to take a chance more (Turnaround against Leicester in Cup ).

We didnt play well at all over the two legs, slipping and sliding around.

I did say that I didn't like our finishing.

To say we didn't play well I think is largely denying the truth, that we did play good enough to win the semi's. We had many aspect of our game that we clearly needed to adjust and sort out yes, but there were many bits of both our legs where we couldn't be faulted.

I think some are using the blunders, the finishing rate of us too make it sound like we were rubbish, in what was a very desperate and ambitious game anyway Albion at certain points did look like they wanted it more. I still don't think we got out played, Albion capitalised on our mistakes, they offered nothing else and sat back for the entirety of the game. If we had not of made the mistakes we had, Albion would of looked utter rubbish given the possession and pass rate we had to them.

In times of ten man teams where one is sent off, it has been more than noted that ten man teams can often be the dominator in games like this, that wasn't the case and we shut them down completely for fourty mins of play.

I don't think we played shite,  I just think we needed to be more on point, we needed to shoot corners properly and shoot further out than trying to get inside there defence. When a team like Albs plays that defensively, it's highly unlikely they are going to be breached, so the shots must fly from outside the box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we have a good, vibrant , sensible manager, who has a vision for long term employment with the club he and his family love.....you can't over value that.

Early days but could be our own Ferguson

Â