Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One thing I noticed in recent weeks many Villa teams before were weak and never complained about bad decisions.. Now with Jack, Mings, Whelan, Hourihane, Tammy even Taylor they always in ref face arguing

I like to think Deano passion is effecting others though also praise for Terry he was one of the best at it with ref decisions

and we have JT on the side giving it to the lino and 4th official too at every suspect decision.

A player making a mistake does not mean the manager got it wrong. Whelan has been fantastic the last couple of months and has more than justified his inclusion today.

It didn't work so Smith changed it. I don't see any any reason to criticise the manager today. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

A player making a mistake does not mean the manager got it wrong. Whelan has been fantastic the last couple of months and has more than justified his inclusion today.

It didn't work so Smith changed it. I don't see any any reason to criticise the manager today. 

Agree....the real positive is he does change things according to what is happening on the pitch rather than just the same old changes for the sake of it.

I'd rather he get it wrong and adapt tbh rather than getting it wrong and just hoping something special turns it around. 

Edited by New_Hope

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

and we have JT on the side giving it to the lino and 4th official too at every suspect decision.

I dont think the great sportsman Bielsa allows us to score if Terry and Jedi dont storm over to Leeds dugout

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Totally agree with you.

However sometimes I also try to put myself in their shoes.

The gravity of the situation and fine margins probably terrifies them.

True. You make the change at half time and then concede another you get crucified. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Smith was right to start Whelan but wrong to not change it at half time when it was clear that Albion were parking the bus. I always wonder why managers are scared to make changes at half time.

Because you might change it and they might come out completely different as well, I guess - I suppose the theory is take a few mins and assess how the second half is going. But I know what you mean. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

I just think he could have changed it a bit sooner. But overall I’m happy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Because you might change it and they might come out completely different as well, I guess - I suppose the theory is take a few mins and assess how the second half is going. But I know what you mean. 

Good point mate.  I just think 21 minutes was too long. Fine margins though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

42 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Personally, I love a bit of tactical nativity. 

Me too.

Baby Jesus in goal because he saves.

Shepherd back 3. Wise men midfield. Angel up front.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

Agree....the real positive is he does change things according to what is happening on the pitch rather than just the same old changes for the sake of it.

I'd rather he get it wrong and adapt tbh rather than getting it wrong and just hoping something special turns it around. 

Absolutely. My only concern with Whelan coming into the playoffs was the quick turn around of games. I felt it was probably a case of starting Whelan in one and Hourihane in the other, and if I'm honest i can see why some people think Hourihane would have been a better bet today with Whelan starting at the Hawthorns. But it was a 50/50 call for me, certainly not the ridiculous decision some are trying to make out. 

Regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season, all I want to say is that I'm delighted Dean Smith will be our manager next season no matter what. 

• Like 3

I think the problem in the first half especially was we were moving the ball at too slow and allowing Albion to set defensively. When they are playing 5 across the midfield sometimes a quick ball behind them will create the space and break them up defensively. Thought Grealish was playing a bit too deep as he would have been able to create these opportunities more.

At the end of the day they came to park the bus and counter, but if your good enough and maintain the pressure you'll get your chances and we took them. Great performance, 90 min to go.

On Tuesday, I don't think parking the bus will be on the cards for us; it doesn't suit our style.  I think we will continue to dominate possession and take the sting out of the game that way whilst maybe creating chances to take take control of the tie.

1 minute ago, New_Hope said:

On Tuesday, I don't think parking the bus will be on the cards for us; it doesn't suit our style.  I think we will continue to dominate possession and take the sting out of the game that way whilst maybe creating chances to take take control of the tie.

Totally. There was most of us thinking he'd rest a couple against Leeds yet names a full strength attacking team. He'll look at the baggies needing 2 to win it and will set us up in ultra attack mode - giving us maximum confidence going into the final and breeding fear into the hearts of Leeds/Derby. Don't let us down Dean!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Totally. There was most of us thinking he'd rest a couple against Leeds yet names a full strength attacking team. He'll look at the baggies needing 2 to win it and will set us up in ultra attack mode - giving us maximum confidence going into the final and breeding fear into the hearts of Leeds/Derby. Don't let us down Dean!

Not parking the bus, but Whelan in again for me.

We are a draw away from Wembley, who would have thought that a few months ago?

It's been a crazy season in many respects but Smith has done an absolutely fantastic job imo. 

Go the starting line up absolutely spot on in my eyes. He then obviously gave them a big speech at half time and altered the way we were playing. At the time I thought he made a mistake with the subs, as I thought the formation was too comfortable and going 442 with Kodjia coming in instead of Conor would give us a difference. I’m so glad I was wrong though and Smith got it right. He deserves a lot of credit for what he does in the training ground and in matches. 

• Like 1

Â