Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This guy has taken a lot of pressure off fans today - the booby prize of the play-offs is seeing Dean Smith assemble a championship winning squad this summer - with Grealish, or without Grealish and a very good budget. It's not a win-win, but with DS we can at least chill out and look forward to our football whatever happens. 

This!

• Like 2

I know Jack is better in a central role however I thought he should have been put on the wing in place of Adomah/Green and see how WBA’s defending adjusts. Taylor and Elmo were probably the guys who had the most touches but all of their crosses resulted in nothing unsurprisingly. 

Smith has to find ways to get the ball to Jack in games where teams mark the center. Leeds game was similar. 

Also they’d better train defending corners and free kicks in the days until tuesday. Will be tough for WBA to score from open play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I know Jack is better in a central role however I thought he should have been put on the wing in place of Adomah/Green and see how WBA’s defending adjusts. Taylor and Elmo were probably the guys who had the most touches but all of their crosses resulted in nothing unsurprisingly. 

Smith has to find ways to get the ball to Jack in games where teams mark the center. Leeds game was similar. 

Also they’d better train defending corners and free kicks in the days until tuesday. Will be tough for WBA to score from open play.

No. Grealish needs the ball but keeping him wide restricts him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not sure he got team selectiom wrong but not his fault Whelan was poor. Subs were good and changed game

It's handy to have both options available to him to change it up.  West Brom did play into our hands a bit going so defensive and letting Conor have so much time on the ball, not that I'm complaining.

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I disagree. If 2 men are on him in the centre they don't have to travel far to close any of Grealish's passes down. 2 men marking him on the left gives us the option of central balls, or switching the play quickly to the right, where the gaps will be. 

Sometimes the best use of Grealish is by making him a decoy to create space for others. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I disagree. If 2 men are on him in the centre they don't have to travel far too close any of Grealish's passes down. 2 men making him on the left gives us the option of central balls, or switching the play quickly to the right, where the gaps will be. 

Sometimes the best use of Grealish is by making him a decoy to create space for others. 

Indeed. Play him on the wing for periods in games like this, see how they mark him there, will they let a center back move away from position or drag one of their central midfielders out wide. That leaves their other defensive midfielder roaming with not much to do since they can’t cover for the other DM easily without leaving the middle completely open.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed with this. But...

if El Ghazi don't play so Grealish is best alterntive to play Left Inside Forward with 4 options - will write if you wanted know.. (or swap position often to confused defender | full back - Right Winger) and O'hare take Grealish roles. The reason i agreed with these he can penerate and creative in Wide that other winger can't (Green can't and Albert can't) beside El Ghazi. That why i often moan that we need left foot with flair of El Ghazi | Grealish type (Right inside forward | Left winger - like we got Snodgrass last year) ** off topic - would love see Snodgrass (even he is has lack pace yet still danger player) in right with El Ghazi in left we will consistate threat from centre and left plus right! **

back to topic
only i agreed with you as grealish in centre to purpose design him become more flexable to operate for him to do anything to create and shot option. draft to left | Right width area to make create space and draw defender or midfield to create space for other Villa players to threat them in this cause eithier CH or McGinn ...or for himself to apply finish em or give finish product. 

we lucky have El Ghazi which more pace with high flair dribble skills (quick movement - suitable for winger very important trait) - which grealish lack of - this other reason Grealish suitable centre rather width would waste there. I hope we sign him and find left foot "El Ghazi type" 

Last thing ...Captain is suitable in centre rather width to more command area and more easy commuciate players, and rally player too.

Was bemused by the Whelan over Hourihane selection and the game materialised to prove that worry. 

Smith needs to get it right on Tuesday and, if he does, Villa will run out clear winners as Albion have nothing to scare us with, especially now Gayle is out. 

Play Hourihane and Villa win 2 or 3 nil on Tuesday. 

I thought the team was spot on personally. However it was clear early on that Whelan wasn't quite at it, subs were good yet again though and changed the game. One slight issue I have today is the midfield was a bit all over the place at times. Not entirely sure what the tactics were but there were such huge gaps between the midfield 3 that we couldn't break Albion down. 

Big result though, again showing the fantastic mentality this squad has. Have to finish the job on Tuesday night now. 

*Actually the team thing is a lie, I'd have played Green over Adomah but other than that yes spot on.

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

Picked the right team today, in my opinion. He also made the right changes at the right time. I would have snapped your hands off for this position at ht. Plenty to do still but this guy is a class or 10 above Brucie. Keep going Deano. UTV

Â