Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was a fan of AllTheWeb, myself. 

Yeah but I can't be happy with it not beating small time chum like DuckDuckGo these days.

5 hours ago, Mazrim said:

They've earned their place in the Premier League, yes. As we will have to. Bigger? No way.

Absolutely.

We have it all to do and we have 3 games to prove it.

On Sunday, we had a second string team out and acquitted ourselves very well Imo could have won the game....But there was aspects of play in Norwich's strongest team that was clear for all to see and those sames aspects was better than ours as a group they have much quicker feet and move the ball so proficiently well.....I am rather hoping in the fullness of time,Dean can instil this in us....to some degree he has, but not quite there yet.

Norwich deserve their success and I am hoping Villa can do the same.

Edited by TRO

28 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Yeah but I can't be happy with it not beating small time chum like DuckDuckGo these days.

how very dare you, duckduckgo is class, they don't filter for DRM like the googlez do :D

• Like 1

Guest av1

I feel like Don Corleone, i keep telling myself (and others) to stop feeding the trolls, and just when i think I'm above it i see more waffle 😂

15 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Back on topic:

Personally, I think the Norwich game has really put me at ease about the fact that we may still come up short of promotion this season.  We lined up against the league champions without 5-6 of our starters and still played the same dominant and beautiful Smithball we've played since February.  The fact that our second string came in and played with the same intensity and purpose that our 1st team does with shows me that Smith has completely won this team over and our winning streak wasn't just a fluke or down 100% to just Jack's return to the team.  Even if Jack goes, we miss out on signing Mings, Axel, and El Gazi, and are forced to sign some "bargain bin" type players to comply with FFP, I have full confidence in Deano to get the squad challenging at the top end of the table next season.  For the first time ever as a Villa supporter, I'm actually at ease about our long term future.  We finally seem to have all the right pieces in place...

I think I can agree with most of this. Smith and his staff are getting the message through to the whole of the squad, and with every week that passes we appear to be becoming less reliant on individuals. Ideally (of course) we win promotion and can keep the momentum going. The important thing though is that we can see improvements being made and we’re heading in the right direction. Promotion would be the cherry on top of a really strong 3 months. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, romavillan said:

how very dare you, duckduckgo is class, they don't filter for DRM like the googlez do :D

Raises hand, I use duckduckgo too :) Mainly because I got sick of the way too much tracking google does and hands it off to its ad services. Google becomes like your very own personal stalker, serving up creepily targeted ads on websites.  

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Having an identity as a team is very important and something we have lacked for years, it means players can slip in and out but the style of play stays the same.

Its still early days if Dean is our man for the next 3 years, I still maintain that any manager worth his salt should have this squad at least in the play offs.

So far I like what I've seen though.

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Having an identity as a team is very important and something we have lacked for years, it means players can slip in and out but the style of play stays the same.

Its still early days if Dean is our man for the next 3 years, I still maintain that any manager worth his salt should have this squad at least in the play offs.

So far I like what I've seen though.

What do you mean? We had a clear identity under Bruce, it's what got us in that play off final in the first place.

Very organized, counter attack and focusing on set pieces. You might not like that identity, but it is an identity nevertheless.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What do you mean? We had a clear identity under Bruce, it's what got us in that play off final in the first place.

Very organized, counter attack and focusing on set pieces. You might not like that identity, but it is an identity nevertheless.

I'm not sure I agree. Hoofing it up the field and hoping someone does something positive isn't really an identity but yes he was defensive minded which is an identity of sorts, not in the sense that players are interchangeable within it though.

• Like 1

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

I'm not sure I agree. Hoofing it up the field and hoping someone does something positive isn't really an identity but yes he was defensive minded which is an identity of sorts, not in the sense that players are interchangeable within it though.

To say that Steve Bruce doesn't have a style of play or identity is simply not true.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

To say that Steve Bruce doesn't have a style of play or identity is simply not true.

Do we  add these pages onto the Steve Bruce thread or what?

10 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Agree with this mostly. We did a lot of defending under Bruce. Passages of play consisted largely of clearances and direct long balls.

I think there's a strong argument to say that was because we lacked identity and not because we lacked the ability in personnel.

When build-up consists largely of the ball returning to the opposition, allowing them an opportunity to dictate play once more, you could say a team lacks ideas of what to do.

Which is because it lacks... identity!

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Depends on the context and how you define identity.

I think people are referring to identity in the sense that there is an identifiable purpose, oneness and congruence to Smith's approach.

Players are generally if not always on the same page (identifying intent) and passages of play are able to develop on our terms, as opposed to hit and hope.

I have to agree with @villalad21 for once.

We did have an identity under Bruce. Any player that came in knew they had to get behind the ball and try and play on the counter. 

We had become known as being very hard to beat.

Unfortunately It was generally very boring to watch and if we went behind there was no plan b.

• Like 1

Â