Dean Smith

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's a good indication of how strong we've become that we've managed to keep up with a full-strength Norwich side with essentially our B team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyway, I think regardless of the next couple of weeks, I think Dean can look at his performance at Villa with pride. I've enjoyed watching us play like never before...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

You have to look at it as Norwich were also one a premier side in the early 90s, it's taken them time and patience to get where they are now, which is a championship title winning team and a premier club once again.

We should of fallen long before we did with how badly mismanaged we were, yet we didn't but we're here just like others who lost there way out of the top flight. 

We for one season have come along way, but there are those of you who expect everything straight away. Club's don't turn things around this fast after falling so far as we have. You or anyone else who thinks we are a premier quality club and think we have a right to be up there your not kidding anyone apart from yourself. The only way we deserve to be there is if we earn it and we still have three games yet to go to decide that. 

You can call out Norwich all you like and belittle them, yet you fail to realise that they have accomplished an amazing task by getting promoted. They have a bunch of players who they didn't spend loads of coin on and managed to beat the rest of the club's to clinch that title they deserve it.

If we fail the playoffs I fear you and others would call for Smith's head, which would be a grave mistake. Again look at Norwhich and how they bought into what there manager was selling. At first they wasnt up for him but they stuck with Farke because it was cheaper to stick with him than pay him off and sack him, so yes they are now reaping rewards because of patience and loyalty. I do fear some fans will shout Smith out if the playoffs don't go our way, I for one have decided to stick by him no matter what and believe time and patience can only take us back up.

We are where we are because of many bad things that happened to our club, there are those clubs in this league who show us how it's really sposed to be done. Maybe some day we can compete again with the top 10, till then we need to do things right and plan for the long term and support Smith.

I don't know how you can say your not happy to compete with another football club. It's like your saying they are beneath us, which kinda stinks to be honest. Norwich have more than earned there promotion, in fact as it stands there are now rated better than us because they are in a league with the best in this country while we are not.

I am totally delighted to have made the play offs and regardless of how we fare - I am looking forward to next season with Dean Smith at the helm.

He will need all of his experience and contacts to replace Jack - but I have faith that he will take us back to the prem automatically - should we miss out this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No i have accepted where we are, i'm just never in my life going to say i'm happy to compete with Norwich.

Ridicilous

So you are essentially saying you wouldn't have been happy with winning the league?

You're right, that is ridicilous and also disrespectful to a team who have for all intents and purposes (despite getting the yips towards the end) laid waste to the division. What you're doing is being childish based on the name, not what they have actually achieved or how they have done it. Or would you have said the same about Newcastle and Wolves?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

I am totally delighted to have made the play offs and regardless of how we fare - I am looking forward to next season with Dean Smith at the helm.

He will need all of his experience and contacts to replace Jack - but I have faith that he will take us back to the prem automatically - should we miss out this year.

Yes it will be a shame to lose Jack, would be shocked if we kept him though for one more season. The money Jack will generate should give Smith all he needs to do a very nice build capable of a title hunt next season. It's very exciting because if this season has taught us anything it's that Villas chiefs have gotten the signing right. If we lose Jack I would love lolley brought in to replace. Wonder if lolley could be switched into Jacks role as he's very creative or just keep as a winger and have Mcginn step into Jacks shoes.

Smith makes me feel excited about the future, what signing will come in, I just hope it will be a premier build were going for.

Think if we dont get promoted and Jack goes I seriously think Jack could start a bidding war. For a championship star he could set a record for sale of a championship star, if a bidding war starts between the top clubs I'm scared to think what Jack could be sold for. I know it's sposed to be 60 mill but I believe it could end up being more than that if those in charge of his sale play it right and clubs go crazy over him, he's worth it as well for what he does. 

Smith isn't direct dealing with transfers is he?? he just says who he'd like?? Jesus and Purslow no doubt will try bring Mings here permenent regardless I believe and I think he wants to be here no matter the league were in. I hope we don't see a return of small defenders next season, think it's more more than noticed that taller defenders are more suited.

Hurry play offs I'm dieing to get the outcomes out the way and know what's happening for next season. That way I can order my fifa 20 if we're a premier team , told my son i wouldnt be buying it if we wasnt a premier side next season lol

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So you are essentially saying you wouldn't have been happy with winning the league?

You're right, that is ridicilous and also disrespectful to a team who have for all intents and purposes (despite getting the yips towards the end) laid waste to the division. What you're doing is being childish based on the name, not what they have actually achieved or how they have done it. Or would you have said the same about Newcastle and Wolves?

Norwich is a small nobody club.

Yeah i know we are on their level at the moment but i will never be content or "happy" to compete with them. I'mg lad to see progression in the team, but i would be happy to compete with bigger teams like Everton, not Norwich.

Aston Villa should always be a top 8 club in The Premier League and we just have to cross our fingers we can get to that level some day.

Edited by villalad21

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Why? We are where we are. Norwich are the champions of the league we are in. At the moment, there are only two possibilities: 

(a) We can compete with Norwich

OR 

(b) We CAN'T compete with Norwich. 

I know which I prefer. 

image.jpeg.8ab490e3cda6978fe7ddce184e3aaa2b.jpeg

🤣🤣

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah i know we are on their level at the moment but i will never be content or "happy" to compete with them. I'mg lad to see progression in the team, but i would be happy to compete with bigger teams like Everton, not Norwich.

Aston Villa should always be a top 8 club in The Premier League and we just have to cross our fingers we can get to that level some day.

What if Norwich get to play in Champions League and we finish 5th? 

Would that be a bad season or a disgrace to be behind Norwich?

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Top 8? That’s a bit random. I guess the top 6 fans probably see us as a small nobody club as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Should, should, should. Entitlement. We are entitled to nothing we haven't earned. At the moment we are exactly where wr should be. Our history makes us a 'big' club? Well, sure, but history counts for precisely the square root of **** all - just ask Preston or Blackpool. Right now, Norwich (not to mention Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Watford, et al) are 'bigger' than us - and they've earned it. 

They've earned their place in the Premier League, yes. As we will have to. Bigger? No way.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We're not entitled to anything. You earn the right to play in the Premier League - not rely on previous historical achievements. You get there through winning the league or winning the play off. Simple as. 

We went from;

Nearly facing up a winding up order to being saved;

Just about keeping our most prized asset,

Enduring underwhelming results from a 'tried and tested' manager who lost all endeavour and got found out;

and we've now gone to;

To looking to the future by getting in a Villa man who has brought us all a sense of togetherness;

Breaking records whilst setting a new records that we will probably never be broken;

To giving us a chance back into the big time while building a sustainable model, and giving us back our sense of identity and pride.

We're doing just fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Hardly Dean Smith's fault we're not in that position anymore unless I've missed something.

Anyway given what is coming down I think next season will be much weaker at the top so I reckon that will be our best chance of actually winning the league if we stay down.

That would mean though Jack staying (very unlikely), Mings being signed full time (unlikely if he gets a prem offer) and McGinn staying (more likely).

More than anything we'd need a good start to the season. Feels like we're always playing catch up down here due to the poor starts we make to seasons. Would be great to get off to a flyer. If we can win 5 straight in April, we can do it in August aswell.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Personally I expect Aston Villa to compete with every team how ever big or small they are, every single week.

If Villa compete with the team they are playing against I will be happy as I know results cant always go our way but we need to at least compete.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm much more confident going into the playoffs this season with Smith than I was last season under Bruce. 

I joked from about March last season that we would reach the playoff final and lose to Fulham, and so it transpired. This season I'm not sure, I can see us going all the way. 

Not much has changed then.....In the world of certainty?😁

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Whilst they will never be a massive club - the canaries are not a small club either - they were matching Leeds for crowds a couple of years ago.

They are the epitome of a good club, run well and never get ahead of themselves.

As far back as I can recall - they have tried to play football in the right manner and I for one wish them well.

They have always been a thoroughly nice bunch and the fact they play good football endears them to most neutrals.

They were very appreciative of our good will and a team like Norwich get the best out of us, on and off the pitch...Our fans were magnificent towards them, and its no surprise the avalanche of praise back towards us....it is nice to be nice.

They have done a remarkable job after coming down with us from The Prem.....built a team who move the ball correctly  and did it with a modest budget....... amazing.

I wish them well and hope we can join them, back in our rightful place.

• Like 2

Â