Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 28/04/2019 at 20:57, Lord Willard said:

Glad Dean came out and said Jack needs protecting. 

Naaah, I don't get that. They say that about other players like Naymar. 

What does that mean? Why does Grealish need protecting? Does Whelan not need protecting? What about Adomah?

Its either a foul or it isn't. If it's a foul you penalise it, end of. No special protection needed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

What does that mean? Why does Grealish need protecting? Does Whelan not need protecting? What about Adomah?

Its either a foul or it isn't. If it's a foul you penalise it, end of. No special protection needed.

It’s just a manager’s way of highlighting to a ref that a particular player is going to be targeted and that it may be something the ref should be looking out for.

All players need protection but some players are targeted more and as such will require more.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s just a manager’s way of highlighting to a ref that a particular player is going to be targeted and that it may be something the ref should be looking out for.

All players need protection but some players are targeted more and as such will require more.

I wonder if refs are briefed on things like that. Surely they must do some homework before a game?

21 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I wonder if refs are briefed on things like that. Surely they must do some homework before a game?

Perhaps, I think at the very least a manager who highlights it means there’s a chance it will find it’s way in the back of a ref’s mind when he’s making a decision. You hear things like how Ashley Young or whomever might not win a penalty because he built up a reputation for diving. It’s a similar thing I think. 

41 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think it’s probably because teams don’t go out with the tactic of kicking Glen Whelan off the field but if this is a trick question let me know.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

A foul is a foul. If Grealish wants to be the best, he's going to have to be the best, and play to the whistle. Here's why..

The 'Bad Boys' philosophy and strategy for retaining their title and continuing their dynasty was to stop Michael Jordan.

The very reason the Bad Boys enjoyed two consecutive titles in the first place, was their ability to quite literally beat the Chicago Bulls, in particular, Jordan.

The Chicago 'undeniaBulls' met the 'Bad Boys' for their fourth straight year in the postseason playoffs.. The last three had seen the Jordan led Bulls eliminated.

Something had changed. Jordan and his now untouchaBulls had come of age. No longer tinged by frustration and disappointment, their focus and strategy was on their own game.

The incrediBulls went on to achieve the greatest dynasty known in basketball history.

Which all started when the Bulls mentally saw beyond the Bad Boys tactical focal point, denying Michael Jordan. This allowed the Bulls to realise their strength..

Literally using 'foul tactics', and at times sheer unsportsmanlike behaviour, the Bad Boys came undone when Chicago learnt this..

Wishing that the Bad Boys and their tactics were not a reality of the game was useless. Overcoming them was the only way.

Jordan had labelled the Bad Boys an "unprofessional and classless" team.

When the Pistons walked off the court before time expired in Chicago’s clinching victory without congratulating or acknowledging the Bulls, it only backed up his words.

Leeds couldn't beat us despite their dishonesty and an extra man. They are now without Bamford for their next two decisive matches.

We're a team.. and a bloody good one as is. We'll take the set piece opportunities in our final third like we have all season. We're number one at that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It means players should be punished sooner and harsher for obvious pre-meditated fouls.

Whelan doesn't need as much protection as he's not a quick, skillful player who is our biggest threat and is therefore targeted by the other team.

A yellow card the first time Grealish was hacked down on Sunday would have set the tone that deliberate hard fouls are not acceptable. 

That's protecting the players. Just giving free kicks essentially lets the aggressor get away with it. Yeah they give away a free kick, but they're free to do it again next time until they get booked.

Leeds were pretty much taking it in turns on Sunday to kick Grealish

Maybe you are right.

I just always associate terms like 'protecting the player' with Naymar, Salah or other big names in the sport that are acting like divas.

But then again, the same tackle on Grealish or Whelan has to be treated in the same way. Simply because a player is more likely to get fouled does not mean the punishment should be any different. 

Lots of managers now brief their players to take turns in fouling hard and/or cynically particular key players, this either a) effects their emotional balance and puts them off their game or b) gives them a knock and knocks them off their natural game. 

Jose Mourinho is well known for employing this tactic, and managers have been complaining for years. Referee's don't usually take into account the context behind fouling tactics like this, and instead judge each foul individually which usually results in not many bookings being given and not much "protection" for the player. 

Edited by carewjust4u

Officials should be able to spot premeditated plans to constantly foul particular players. You only need look at the stats, the evidence, to clearly see that some opposition teams set out to foul Grealish, and foul him hard. I’d suggest Grealish has suffered more horrendous challenges on him than any other player in this country over the last 5yrs. He’s been on the end of a good number of challenges that in many other leagues would result in straight red cards. I don’t think there’s yet been one straight red card for a challenge on Grealish, and if you watch a montage of the challenges on him over the years that’s a scandalous stat. Sometime soon someone will seriously injure Grealish. 

19 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Officials should be able to spot premeditated plans to constantly foul particular players. You only need look at the stats, the evidence, to clearly see that some opposition teams set out to foul Grealish, and foul him hard. I’d suggest Grealish has suffered more horrendous challenges on him than any other player in this country over the last 5yrs. He’s been on the end of a good number of challenges that in many other leagues would result in straight red cards. I don’t think there’s yet been one straight red card for a challenge on Grealish, and if you watch a montage of the challenges on him over the years that’s a scandalous stat. Sometime soon someone will seriously injure Grealish. 

sometimes it even happens in playoff finals :rant:

• Like 1

I thought Smith got it wrong today.

Taking off Henri Lansbury who was running the midfield spraying long diagonals all day was tactical nativity beyond comprehension.

The game was screaming out for Davis to come on for the powder puff green who looked scared to take on his man all game. Kodjia could have been shifted out wide to cut in and feed from Davis's flick ons when we pumped it long from steer, then bingo!

6 mins after Lansbury walks off (to a standing ovation) norwich win the game.

The one thing I can't abide is opposition teams coming to Villa Park to lift silverware. hearing "we are premier league" to the tune of Oops Upside Your Head and "going up up up" to the merrymens hot hot hot really made me want to chunder. watching norwich lift that trophy was like being a loser on bullseye. getting  the speedboat out just to deliberatly goad you.

Smith should come out and say he got it wrong.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Taking off Henri Lansbury who was running the midfield spraying long diagonals all day was tactical nativity beyond comprehension.

The game was screaming out for Davis to come on for the powder puff green who looked scared to take on his man all game. Kodjia could have been shifted out wide to cut in and feed from Davis's flick ons when we pumped it long from steer, then bingo!

The one thing I can't abide is opposition teams coming to Villa Park to lift silverware. hearing "we are premier league" to the tune of Oops Upside Your Head and "going up up up" to the merrymens hot hot hot really made me want to chunder. watching norwich lift that trophy was like being a loser on bullseye. getting  the speedboat out just to deliberatly goad you.

Not your best. 

I expect real improvement now we're at the business end of the season.

• Haha 2

Guest av1
11 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Give it a rest ffs. 

Â