Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The keeper and centre back positions is what worries me. I have no idea how Smith will solve this.

No idea.

Chester and Tuanzebe will hopefully do for now. I say that hoping we're more on the front foot which might suit them better as a pair. As for goalkeeper...

Good interview. I'm feeling pretty enthused.

Edited by praisedmambo

Just now, praisedmambo said:

Chester and Tuanzebe will hopefully do for now. I say that hoping we're more on the front foot which might suit them better as a pair. As for goalkeeper...

Yea and what if one of them get injured? Then it's back to Jedinak..

Bruce really did leave behind a mess of a team. Totally inbalanced squad.

The decision to let Elphick go is just absurd. I cannot understand it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The press conference is at 57,600 seconds past midnight on the 287th day of the 736570th day A.D. 

I’m fighting off the urge to check the numbers by telling myself I’ve got a life!! ?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Ditto. Interviewer kept pushing him on the connection and DS was quick to remind him that he’s here on merit as a manager not because of his connection to the club. Full of professionalism and lacking the cliches we have become so accustomed to with previous managers.

Also loved his comments in JT: showing that he is the boss but has the humility to be able to learn from others around him. This was a skill his predecessor was sorely lacking. 

Would love to get an an insight into how his training sessions differ from Bruce/Calderwood’s. 

Such an underrated ability to have.....It can move mountains and is a great aid to Leadership.

I have really good vibes with this guy.....Interesting how he flirts with the emotion, but reminds everyone there is an important job to do.

I think he will have an overall plan, but in terms of the detail he will suck it and see with individual players.....some will be easy to transform, some will be much harder.

Liked his reference to defence, when his natural tendency is built towards attacking.

He is familiar with 2 assistants at Brentford and it is much clearer where JT fits in.....interesting how he has history with his brother, I don't see a problem there and JT's approach seems like one of keen to learn....their humility and desire will blend.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

"I want my team to play at an intensity " Games up for a fair few of them so.

That's the phrase that excited me most from his first interview. Train at an intensity, play at an intensity .... It's going to transform our squad over the next few months.

As you say, a few of our players will not fit into that, but it will open up opportunities for younger players to make an energetic and committed impact.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he will have an overall plan, but in terms of the detail he will suck it and see with individual players.....some will be easy to transform, some will be much harder.

ANNOUNCE KENNETH WILLIAMS

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This just feels like the perfect fit, don't you think?

An unfashionably named manager for a now unfashionable club. The media love to talk us down, and I'm sure many will talk about this appointment as being us settling for a future in the Championship, yet when Dean Smith talks, what he says seems to have substance and meaning, and his teams tend to play with style and substance too. 

Bruce was all regurgitated cliches, and yet he was a media darling. Looking at one of the other options we had; Henry will no doubt bring all the bells, whistles and camera flashes in the beautiful and fashionable setting of Monaco, but if I had to chose between "va va voom" or Brummie Smiffy, there's no contest!

I think Henry or Faria would have brought that familiar feeling that we had with Garde and Houllier, talking us up as being this "great historic club", but deep down you knew that they'd only previously read about us when they've had to.

The new guys will need time, as will whatever we're trying to set up in the background with Purslow (and possibly Mendes?), so I'm not expecting miracles straight away. But I do think we'll see an instant change in the way we play, with more focus on keeping the ball and limiting the opposition.

Exciting times! UTV!

Yeah.....I think you are right.

• Like 1

I loved the way he said " Yeah, I think i deserved it".....He wasn't having all this Villa Fan bit clouding the issue.

Too right fella....You do deserve it.....and the appointment is for all the right reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yea and what if one of them get injured? Then it's back to Jedinak..

Bruce really did leave behind a mess of a team. Totally inbalanced squad.

The decision to let Elphick go is just absurd. I cannot understand it.

Manager and assistant are centre halves....they will have to earn their keep?

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

buy keeper and

Nobody in the U23s is ready I think. Bedeau is the only really senior member and feel he is way off too.

Thought Bedeau was good but some felt he wasn't big enough? If so I'd give him a go, he might be the next Cannavaro ;)

This, this has the feeling of something special about it.

Just listening to him speak, you know things are going to be very different to the last couple of years and you can sense just what this job means to him.

Villa Park is going to be absolutely bouncing on Saturday, bouncing. I can't even begin to imagine how he will feel when he walks out and hears the Holte sing his name that first time, if there aren't tears in his eyes he is a tougher man than me.

I tell you what, if we start on the front foot and can get a early goal I really wouldn't want to be Swansea.

• Like 2

Â