Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

When we were on that bad run, you seemed to conveniently forget his opening 8-10 games in charge.

It's always going to be a positive response from the players after a new manager comes in so to use that timeline isn't really that relevant. They all want to impress the new manager so they can get into the starting eleven.

Getting good results after a new manager comes in is hardly uncommon.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Losing 3-0 against Wigan, drawing against Reading. 2 wins in 12 or whatever it was.

Some fans doesn't have a short term memory. But to be fair Smith is on the right track to win me over, but i still have my doubts.

A question i ask my self is what happens if Grealish get's injured? Can Smith find a way to win football games without him?

Two wins out of twelve and a loss and the rest draws, sorry but its not as if we were constantly losing, sure they are not wins but draws are better than losses. Before that draw streak when Smith came in, he had the team winning. What's most important as many of us called it, is that Smith is smart enough to find a winning solution again and get back on track.

I think If Jack gets injured between now and end of the season it will be much different to what it was like when he did get injured before. I believe our players who were getting alot of abuse at that time over a month ago, just didn't believe in themselves or what they were doing nearly as much as they do now. I also think now they have catapulted themselves upto 5th that they truly believe promotion is a real thing. At that point Grealish was injured, we had a defence that wasnt working at all, we were letting goals in left right and centre, our midfield wasn't clicking. We had many players who were being questioned every game about there performances. Although a few who were getting abuse seem to have steered themselves back to putting in a good shift like Whelan and hourihane, there are still a few who have not like kodjia, adomah, bjarnason. The main thing is the majority of the squad now looks strong and they are bringing the heat and making the rest of the teams around us sweat. I would even go as far and say they might even fear us at the moment.

We're getting closer and closer but truth be told the way I feel is: bloody fantastic if we go up, if we don't however no biggy and we just go right again next season and we should take the league by storm. It is vital however that we keep those players who are our stars and continue building round them while we mount a challenge for an automatic place next season.

We can do it and Smith has my faith to take us back up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think If Jack gets injured between now and end of the season it will be much different to what it was like when he did get injured before.

That's where i'm not sure at all.

Jack isn't just improving the team's quality but he also seem to lift everyone's game mentally and that is absolutely massive.

Take El Ghazi as an example, he looked totally clueless during Jack's absence, but instantly after Jacks returned he seemed to be playing like a totally different player.

Take Jack out of this team and i'm honestly not sure what would happen.

Edited by villalad21

On 02/04/2019 at 13:16, MarkLillis said:

Whichever way you look at it,Dean Smiths results with a (more or less) full squad available are more than enough for a top six finish.

There are 7 games to go and it looks like the turnaround in form is here to stay.

Does anyone think his persistence with playing a style suited to Jack Grealish.....even though he wasn’t on the pitch,has helped the team click now that he is back?

I think its a valid point.....I am more inclined to think Dean has discovered a system/Style  in the past he is comfortable with and pursued it....it just happens to be a style that suits Jack too.

• Like 3

On 02/04/2019 at 15:40, KentVillan said:

Hadn't thought about it like that really, but it's a very good point. Sometimes, what gets you the best results in the short term holds you back in the long term, and vice versa.

To caveat that a bit, there was a period when DS was starting to second guess himself (remember when we tried Jedinak as DM, Kodjia out wide, Hourihane as a deep lying playmaker?) and it looked like he was scrabbling around for a solution.

But in the main he has stuck to his central philosophy, which is to control possession in the opposition half, with high full backs and wingers. In possession, we often end up with something that looks like a 3-4-3, as Whelan drops into defence, CBs split, both full backs push high like wingbacks, and wingers are free to come inside.

This style has been a feature of the DS reign, but when Grealish was injured we turned over possession too quickly in the middle of the park to make it work. We were also getting severely punished for losing possession because of some of the defensive personnel, and DS has sorted that out as well. So as others have said, it's not just Jack's return, but a few different things coming together at once.

I'd also give DS a bit of credit for making Glenn Whelan the cornerstone of the midfield. That wasn't an obvious choice, but it's worked.

I quite like this 3-1-3-3 formation England play at times, with Whelan being the 1.....I am still a tad concerned by playing 2 wingers, particularly away from home, I think it makes hard work for the middle....its great if wingers are kept busy in offensive work, but if not they can easily become passengers, that's when it gets tricky.

At present our work on the flanks has been iffy, we need to try and address that.

Just watched his latest video and he made references to the pressure of playing for Villa. Made a great point about Alex Ferguson looking at players that can play under the pressure of having 67000 fans and high expectations. I think we have had plenty of players that are good under no pressure but wilt under pressure , I'm glad he regonises this it's a very important point .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That's where i'm not sure at all.

Jack isn't just improving the team's quality but he also seem to lift everyone's game mentally and that is absolutely massive.

Take El Ghazi as an example, he looked totally clueless during Jack's absence, but instantly after Jacks returned he seemed to be playing like a totally different player.

Take Jack out of this team and i'm honestly not sure what would happen.

I think you are absolutely correct - I am a Smith fan, but I honestly believe without Jack we would have little chance of promotion.

out of balance I would add - that every team in this league misses a fit Jack .

• Like 2

On 31/03/2019 at 16:07, DCJonah said:

This is the team brucie built? Smith signed the 2 cbs, recalled the starting keeper and right winger who bruce deemed not needed, and then through a style, a plan and good coaching have them playing better football than bruce could dream of. 

Smith will always have to prove stuff to you and Alex Bruce, who will continue to post criticism and doubt towards him on here no matter what. 

May I ask what that clown Bruce jnr is saying now ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Isn't it refreshing to see our coaches coaching, delivering instructions and ensuring our players know what they're responsibilities are.

Much better than Bruce standing there arms folded day dreaming about the order he's going to place at his local kebab shop after. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Much better than Bruce standing there arms folded day dreaming about the order he's going to place at his local kebab shop after. 

Ferguson didn't do any of the coaching. He delegated and trusted the people around him.

There is not one correct formula in how to successfully manage a football club.

Edited by villalad21

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Ferguson didn't do any of the coaching. He delegated and trusted the people around him.

You’re right. If a manager doesn’t coach then he needs good coaches working with him. Bruce’s coaches only seemed to know how to coach one way and that’s not to concede goals first and foremost. Granted it can be effective. But it’s boring as hell to watch and when it’s not working it makes it even worse to stomach.

• Like 2

I’ve watched that video and I’ve not the foggiest idea what it’s all about.

” Fill the space “ 🤔

Whats all the stuff where they are passing the ball to each other ?

Im beginning to think this might have something to do with what we are seeing at weekends.

Shocking.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That's certainly true. However, the formula of stubbornly sticking to whatever worked for you previously, disregarding any change of circumstances, seldom leads to success in the long run.

IMO, new assistant managers/coaches brought in under Ferguson came in with new/modern ideas of tactics and training methods. Perhaps that's why they're were hired. Perhaps that's why he stayed so long. You don't keep your job as manager at any club for 25+ years unless you're willing to adapt and evolve. A hair-dryer shouldn't be the only tool you have at hand.

(On topic: I know this is this is the Dean Smith thread. Some of what I've written may be equallly applicable to Dean Smith - and some to Steve Bruce. I trust you all will be able to sort it out.)

Edited by TB

Â