Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, striker said:

Much of what you say in this post (bolded) I agree with even though I’ve been one of the few to support Smith during the previous poor points return over 13 games. For me it was a very strange decision to send O’Hare out on loan when he was the obvious replacement for Grealish to allow Villa to play the same system and style of play while also giving a very promising young player the chance to shine.

Certainly it would have been hard to see Villa earning even less points over the same period with O’Hare in the team but I guess the manager doesn’t have the benefit of hindsight as we do.

Personally with Villa flying before the Grealish injury I feel it was a major mistake by Smith to change the system to accommodate the loss of Grealish which has the team playing, yet again, catch up to gain promotion but I hope he has learned from it?

Ohare isn't a panacea, he's not as good as a lot of people on here seem to think he is.

There is a reason he's on loan to a league 2 side.

Does he have potential?....yes, do I hope he develops in the future to be a good player for us?.....yes.

But he isn't currently, and wasn't a replacement for Grealish, at all.

I do think there is some rose tinted glasses going on with some of our youth players, especially with ohare.

As I say I do think he has potential, jist like a few of our youth do, but ohare definitely wasn't ready to try and replace Grealish and probably wouldn't have changed a single thing in that 12/13 match run.

Here's hoping they might help next season though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Ohare isn't a panacea, he's not as good as a lot of people on here seem to think he is.

There is a reason he's on loan to a league 2 side.

Does he have potential?....yes, do I hope he develops in the future to be a good player for us?.....yes.

But he isn't currently, and wasn't a replacement for Grealish, at all.

I do think there is some rose tinted glasses going on with some of our youth players, especially with ohare.

As I say I do think he has potential, jist like a few of our youth do, but ohare definitely wasn't ready to try and replace Grealish and probably wouldn't have changed a single thing in that 12/13 match run.

Here's hoping they might help next season though.

Well for a start I don’t think you should gage someone’s ability on who he is loaned to for several reasons.

Mings dropped a division to be loaned to Villa from a Premiership team to get game time plus Tuanzebe.. Theres a history of many Man U youngsters for instance being loaned out to lower division teams to gain experience. Chelsea loan their young players all over the world again to gain experience. Whom they are loaned to isn’t a measure of their ability.

I would also take issue with your rose tinted glasses comment. I think most on here are very realistic concerning the ability of Villa’s youth and I would argue that O’Hare had shown enough in the U23s to at least be given a chance in the 1st team. I would further argue that O’Hare was the only player available to Smith that could have slotted into Grealish’s role without having to disrupt the whole system.

Furthermore I don’t know if results would have been better with O’Hare replacing Grealish? My point was though they probably wouldn’t have been any worse while also giving another young player the chance to shine and who knows O’Hare may have done just that?

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Well for a start I don’t think you should gage someone’s ability on who he is loaned to for several reasons.

Mings dropped a division to be loaned to Villa from a Premiership team to get game time plus Tuanzebe.. Theres a history of many Man U youngsters for instance being loaned out to lower division teams to gain experience. Chelsea loan their young players all over the world again to gain experience. Whom they are loaned to isn’t a measure of their ability.

I would also take issue with your rose tinted glasses comment. I think most on here are very realistic concerning the ability of Villa’s youth and I would argue that O’Hare had shown enough in the U23s to at least be given a chance in the 1st team. I would further argue that O’Hare was the only player available to Smith that could have slotted into Grealish’s role without having to disrupt the whole system.

Furthermore I don’t know if results would have been better with O’Hare replacing Grealish? My point was though they probably wouldn’t have been any worse while also giving another young player the chance to shine and who knows O’Hare may have done just that?

who they are loaned to is absolutely a gauge on their ability. if mings was inundated with premiership offers, none of them made the papers. he dropped a division because no one in the premiership wanted him, because he, at the time, was championship level player. we would have loaned o'hare to a league 1 or championship side had there been any offers, but there weren't hence why he's in league 2...because every single one of the 48 league 1 + championship sides including us felt that he was not good enough for them. they cant all be wrong!

Jack went on lian to Notts County. Soon after he was starring in an FA Cup semi final for Villa. Means nothing.

I see a lot of potential in O'Hare. Doesnt mean he'll ever realise it though. We could have given him a proper chance when Jack was injured. We didn't. We'll see how it all pans out with him.

• Like 2

Yes we did have a really bad run of results, but from when he came in to half time against Leeds we were almost as good as we have been in the last 5 games. That gets lost in a lot of this, the people who started saying Smith was rubbish and should go in the bad run had already seen him completely change the way we played and play some incredible football in the process. 

As has been said above, it wasn't just Grealish getting crocked, Chester was knackered, Axel long term injury, Nyland's form wasn't going to instill much confidence in anyone. There's more than that too and we changed to being far more direct and not playing out from the back and tried to get some results that way as we weren't capable of playing how Smith wanted with the personnel we had available. 

With all that going on, we had a dire run, awful football and results but you had to completely ignore the first run to have no faith in Smith left before this run started. Smith is going to turn us into a very good footballing side, whether we go up this season or not. The new recruitment team have picked out Mings and Hause and we've sorted the defence. They will have to be very busy in the summer but I'm confident that the days of having an unbalanced and old squad with no sell on value and seemingly little final footballing plan in getting them in are over. 

Smith is the best thing to have happened to us in ages, credit to that goes to the new owners Purslow and Pitarch too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Jack went on lian to Notts County. Soon after he was starring in an FA Cup semi final for Villa. Means nothing.

I see a lot of potential in O'Hare. Doesnt mean he'll ever realise it though. We could have given him a proper chance when Jack was injured. We didn't. We'll see how it all pans out with him.

Yeah even Beckham went on loan to Preston. Nobody wanted him either.😁

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If Smith were and its a big if here takes us up now he has to be considered one of our greatest managers in recent history 

He would certainly be a candidate that's for sure.

Considering what he walked into and inherited compared to what he could potentially achieve would be nothing short of marvellous.

The wheels nearly came off but luckily we are right back on track going in the right direction.  Let's make it to Wembley and take it from there! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If Smith were and its a big if here takes us up now he has to be considered one of our greatest managers in recent history 

Agreed, but that's like a non handicapped athlete winning in the special Olympics :D 

• Haha 1

Based on Smiths ppg since he took over we if he was manager from then start of the season we would have finished on 76 points. 

Now considering he took over a team that had won 1 in 10 and conceded 15 goals in the process I think he has done a superb job of keeping us in contention for playoffs.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Grealish went to Notts County at the age of 17 and ran the show. 

O’Hare is 20 in 2 months. I’m not sure he is making a big impact wherever he is going. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Grealish went to Notts County at the age of 17 and ran the show. 

O’Hare is 20 in 2 months. I’m not sure he is making a big impact wherever he is going. 

I think that might be the early consensus for many of our established youths currently out in loan. 

Â