Dean Smith

Demitri_C

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I wouldn't say I lost faith but I was disappointed that Smith couldn't get the best of what he had. I still have question marks about how limited Smith can be when he has a few injuries. 

However what's promising for me is Smith can spot talent as he did with Mings. Bruce never. Would have gone for someone like Mings. 

I am hopeful we see some shrewd business come the summer. 

I accept that we have to be more than a one man team but losing Grealish was a massive blow. We didn't have a player who could play the same role. As you know Smith didn't join us till October so inherited essentially Bruce's squad.

I agree bringing in Mings was a great move, but I think we lost our way primarily because we didn't have a competent midfielder to replace Jack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't we have 2 wins in 12 games without Jack? That's relegation form.

Our record was W2 D7 L4 Pts 13

Stretch that over a season and you have 46 points, which isn't relegation form. It's not great, but there were a lot of mitigating circumstances.

Take Nyland's blunders out of the equation, and you'd have been looking at more like 19 points, which would have you on ~67 points if stretched across a whole season - so around 10th/11th. As I said, "respectable" form - especially with your star player out. Even top managers go through spells like this when their squad is depleted.

(Also, this reminds me - why is everyone in football associated with Win % when you also get points for draws? If a manager has a depleted squad and is facing a close rival away from home, then a draw is an important result.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

Levels of expectation will have risen ten fold again and thats when Villa normally fall flat on their face. Smith, Terry and coaches should be drumming it into the players not to be complacent!

• Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 14:22, villalad21 said:

Oh sorry forgot you're not allowed to be critical or disagree with Smith's decisions if we win on this site.

Hadn't Grealish scored on that wonder strike it would been another draw and you would have a whole different tune. That's the problem with the majority of the fans on here, they don't actually analyze the game, they are so stuck up on the scoreline and ignore everything else.

You do understand football don't you?  You do realise the scoreline is the only stat that'll determine where we end up in the league you can analyse the game all you want but the only thing that matters in football is we scored 1 to the oppositions 0.

Also for the record I have criticised Smith in the past and was right to do so when he made errors in our poor run but I will also praise him when he gets things right, which imo he did vs Blues, he didn't change the side that destroyed Derby which was the correct decision because it says that he'll pick on form and not just his favourites.  Whelan did a good job he kept things tight you say he could have cost us the game I don't see how because despite Blues having lots of the ball they didn't really do anything with it and we had the best of the chances.  Then when Blues had tired out he put McGinn on and they just didn't have the legs to deal with that.  Smith got the line up and sub spot on Vs Blues. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

You do understand football don't you?  You do realise the scoreline is the only stat that'll determine where we end up in the league you can analyse the game all you want but the only thing that matters in football is we scored 1 to the oppositions 0.

Also for the record I have criticised Smith in the past and was right to do so when he made errors in our poor run but I will also praise him when he gets things right, which imo he did vs Blues, he didn't change the side that destroyed Derby which was the correct decision because it says that he'll pick on form and not just his favourites.  Whelan did a good job he kept things tight you say he could have cost us the game I don't see how because despite Blues having lots of the ball they didn't really do anything with it and we had the best of the chances.  Then when Blues had tired out he put McGinn on and they just didn't have the legs to deal with that.  Smith got the line up and sub spot on Vs Blues. 

In the long term, yes, the score is all that matters. In the short term, if you just use the score to measure the ability of a manager, you will miss a lot of the nuance -- was his team being dominated, was there an unlucky bounce, or a bad refereeing decision?

This focus on short-term results is how Alex McLeish has a Premier League Manager of the Month award.

You also seem completely deluded that Dean Smith's bad results have been mainly down to his bad decisions, and his good results mainly down to good decisions. That's a dramatic improvement over the course of a month isn't it? Or maybe, just maybe, football's more complicated than the "FFS PASS IT FORWARD" fans realise.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

In the long term, yes, the score is all that matters. In the short term, if you just use the score to measure the ability of a manager, you will miss a lot of the nuance -- was his team being dominated, was there an unlucky bounce, or a bad refereeing decision?

This focus on short-term results is how Alex McLeish has a Premier League Manager of the Month award.

You also seem completely deluded that Dean Smith's bad results have been mainly down to his bad decisions, and his good results mainly down to good decisions. That's a dramatic improvement over the course of a month isn't it? Or maybe, just maybe, football's more complicated than the "FFS PASS IT FORWARD" fans realise.

Point 1) Considering it's a results business wins are what the managers ability will be measured on as if he doesn't get wins he will end up Sacked it's as simple as that.  You can go on about all the other bullshit you spoke about but it's just that bullshit because win games manager keeps his job loses games manager will get the sack.

Point 2) Maybe you need to learn how to read education isn't as good as it used to be I suppose.  I'll try and dumb it down for you,  I'll Criticise Smith when he makes mistakes (which he has done) but I'll Also Praise when he gets things right.  If you are still struggling to understand it's best you go ask a teacher to explain.

• Confused 2

It's weird that I'm feeling like we did not play particularly well yesterday, yet we win 3-1 away from home after going behind 1-0 against one of the better teams in the league, not to forget we had a few other chances that could easily have ended with goals. 

I am so excited to see what Dean Smith can build here, if he had just been able to sign that one midfielder in January (Carrol was clearly a panic buy) and if Tuanzebe had not been injured for so long we would have been absolutely deadly in this league.

The signings of Mings and Hause have been really impressive

7 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

Sorry to piss on the parade but I'm still not convinced by Smith - 3 good results doesnt make up for the 3 months of  dire tactics / results. 

We are very lucky to be back in with a chance of making the playoffs. My worry is that if Grealish leaves - he doesn't know how to get results without him. If we don't get promoted I think Grealish would be forced to leave for his career (hope he doesnt ofc)

Not saying that DS is awful willing to give him some more time but the jury is still out for me. 

I don't see a manager with dire tactics......I see a manager who has had key players missing and unable to replicate their quality, with what he has.

I also see a team who have a number of players who are doubtful whether they can get us out of this division and another bunch, who could already be playing in the premier league....one bunch is undoubtedly carrying the other.....Deans job is to get more in the one bunch camp than the other.....these things take time, money and good judgement.

I have no idea if Dean will succeed, but I don't think it will be for the want of trying....its clear he has to gain some sort of improvement in results to stay in the job....defeats will finish any manager off.....I wish him well and hope he succeeds.

I think it will ultimately come down to how strong he can build the squad, assuming he is allowed to in terms of funds.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Amazing that this thread nearly dropped of the first page. Must mean he’s doing alright. 

Anyway I was surprised when he said Grealish gives Mings the armband when he goes off and it’s not something Smith instigated. 

You’d have thought the vice captain before the game would already be decided. Guess maybe not.

• Like 1

Top performance today, last Wednesday was about defending very well and taking chances where they come, today was complete domination in every department. No surprise that's coincided with Grealish's return but what can't be overlooked is the impact of the Mings - Hause partnership at the back, it's been excellent and behind our lack of goals conceded.

• Like 1

Â