Dean Smith

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, Skruff said:

What strength does our players have that he's not playing to? What would you have liked to see him do? 

Chester and Elphick are not ball playing defenders, that's not their game. Stop telling them to play out from the back, that just one example.

19 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You're comparing Manchester United's squad to ours 🤪 so your point is basically that OGS could've come in and done better than DS....

No my point is OGS adapted to the squad, DS forces the players to adapt to him.

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I really really want to believe in Smith and this project but they’re really not making it easy. It’s just all a bit shit. 

I am convinced as many have said after today's game that it is quality we are lacking, the summer should bring that very needed quality, precision and good vibe mentality in.

Again as many also said why even bother to play football if you know your contracts up in the air. What I don't get with that type of mentality from our players is that surely if they improved and sealed promotion some would gain an extension. Maybe that is just it though at most it would be an extension and not long term.

I can imagine how pissed off many fans are with that type of attitude, it has made me feel that way it is something that has no business being near our football club. If anything even if players who have contracts going up in smoke move on, you would think by putting in performances of there life that they would be sealing a move elsewhere as another club would no doubt want. At this rate some of them will not be make it at another club in this league as no club would be stupid enough to take them on at this level, clearly some of them can not hack it.

Then injurys, Hutton being injured says it all now, we are effing closer to having no choice but to use the youth. So all that I and others said about using the youth may be coming into affect sooner than we think. Its just a real shame that using the youth maybe forced on us rather than it being our choice. I feel it may have a negative effect that way as those who might get there chance. Surely if it happens they would feel better if they knew they were being picked because they were chosen before under performing first teamers rather than being picked because players are Injured.

Next season I think will settle down alot, it's been a crazy two seasons and that's what we need from all directions is calm. The big bad wolf tried to blow down our house and failed so the best thing we can  do is blow back. We will do it, we will bring the football next season, I'm confident. You do have those that say but Smith averaged mid table with his other clubs, while true we have to remember that again he made do with what was available, in the summer though he will have funds and backing and I feel he will shine. Brentford and Walsall have no where near the wealth our owners have. We have the investment and what should be a fair bit coming in since we have an entire new team under the owners who have shown clearly they are more than capable of bringing in money at there other previous clubs. One thing is while many thought we were grounded by FFP, since all the new staff have joined there have been a couple big money signings, it has to be  we investment from those under the owners who have made that possible, I think If they wasn't bought in on time we wouldn't of seen kalanic or Gilbert join us.

Think it will all fall into place next season, we just have to ride the waves meantime..

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Both agree and disagree...

OGS didn't have to adapt to the squad, he was an attack-minded manager taking over a squad with good attackers and midfielders and perhaps a more iffy defence, and replacing a manager whith a defensive mindset. A former Manchester United striker and an interim manager for the rest of this season, all he had to do at the outset was basically not to be Mourinho. How he will do in the long run is another matter.

DS on the other hand is another matter. When changing managers over the past decade, par for the course at Villa has been to make an 180 degree turn. Ooops - that didn't work - let's try another angle. And so, players are deemed surplus, and they have to be replaced. At a cost.

Replacing Bruce, the logical step would have been to look for a Bruce 2.0 - Solid defence, willing to attack, doing tactics - the lack of which stopped us from going up last season.

(But Bruce 2.0 would still have to work with Bruce 1.0's woefully disasssembled defence this season.)

The very fact that the new board has brought in an attack-minded head coach (not a manager) and saying that promotion isn't essential this season makes me believe that the new board is taking a long-term view on how the club is going to be run in the future and that DS is brought in to implement a new playing style and force the players to adapt - or be replaced.  Sorting the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. It might take 2 or 3 windows, at least, to replace all the chaff. Getting it to work this season would just be a wonderful bonus.

If Smith doesn't work out I hope that he'll be replaced with Smith 2.0, whoever that might be, but still working with the same squad and along the same principles. Not yet another 180-degree turnaround with a defensive-minded dinosaur.

Or maybe I'm just talking through my hat.

Edited by TB
typo
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

That's not how a release clause works...

Sorry I should've written it better, there is a release clause and despite of it there still no way we are selling him for 18 million. Not in today's market.

He won't leave is (imo) for some dross mid table club. He will stay for one more season here, prove himself and go to a club reaching for his ambitions. 

In saying that it all opinions, and if yours is right I will be devestated on all counts. I can handle him going but we need to get paid for it.

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Chester and Elphick are not ball playing defenders, that's not their game. Stop telling them to play out from the back, that just one example.

Wish he has actually done. The ball gets launched long from goal kicks now as apposed too from the back when we had Tuenzebe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

nobody is paying 30 million for grealish, He has been injured for 1/3 of the season so far and hasn't exactly set the league alight when he was playing. Spurs were the only club remotely interested and they will not bid that much again. He will be staying or someone like leicester/west ham will bid 18 million and he'll be off.

There is no way this club is noway on earth we are selling grealish for 18m. Maybe under xia but these owners are not stupid. Your telling me we will sell him for. Less than Che Adams who Blose want 20m for? 

The least I can see us selling for would be 25m. He will appeal to a lot of sides in premier league as he is young has huge potential and most key he is English and you need a certain amount of English players in your match day squad. 

I read these threads and some our thoughts on managers are so diverse from each other its liking reading latest reports from Brexit we are all passionate and often get a little slated when we offer a different view. But we all want the same, our team back in the Prem and winning

This is what I think (so I too am prepared to be slated)

Bruce was sacked because - he had a good team on paper several X captains from other teams that had performed well before arriving at VP, but he wasn't winning with them. So he was sacked. If they had been winning everything and playing great football he would still be here. We cant keep blaming him for what he left, he was sacked for this reason. This is known as Cakeism in the land of Bolitics  

Dean was brought in because of what he was managing to do at Brentford with a squad not nearly so good on paper and using his youth payers because he had too, we all thought (well I did)  that if he could do it there he could do it at VP. and I welcomed his appointment 

He started doing it we were winning, we were entertaining, we had hope, now the style has changed and we aren't doing it , we are boring and we have desperation and cant see where the next win is coming from. Cant keep staying ahh well look at the injuries and ahh the team cant play his type of football. this is back to Cakeism

A top manager is supposed to be able to get the best out of the players he has, if they cant play his style then adapt to what they can do. As said so many times you cant keep doing the same thing every week and hope for a different result, But he is.

So for me this next few weeks really is the time for Deano to do something or he has to go along with every one else that couldn't turn the Villa around 

Amen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

There is no way this club is noway on earth we are selling grealish for 18m. Maybe under xia but these owners are not stupid. Your telling me we will sell him for. Less than Che Adams who Blose want 20m for? 

The least I can see us selling for would be 25m. He will appeal to a lot of sides in premier league as he is young has huge potential and most key he is English and you need a certain amount of English players in your match day squad. 

In all fairness Adams performs week in week out. 

You can also get him on the pitch which a plus. 

Grealish and Tuanzebe have missed substantial parts of the season.

McGinn, Davis, Kalinic, Nyland and Lansbury are currently unavailable.

Taylor, Jedinak, Hutton, Bjarnason, Elmo, Elphick, Hogan, Adomah and the majority of the rest of the first team squad had all been written off as not being good enough by majority of fans even before Dean Smith arrived.

Of our youngsters O'Hare, RHM and Doyle-Hayes have not exactly set League 2 on fire. That is not knocking them but illustrating they are not ready to walk into the first team. Ramsey meanwhile has been promoted by Smith. He might be an exceptional 17 year old but I doubt all of the academy teenagers are ready for the Championship. 

My point is with the players we have available that currently we have a mid table Championship or possibly a bottom half Championship squad. I am not shocked that the performances have reflected that. The head coach Dean Smith is simply a cog in a bigger machine. If the board, the players, recruitment and other coaches were shit even Guardiola would struggle. On the whole I think majority of posts have been positive and patient. For those who are not happy I understand the frustration at paying good money to watch shit football week in week out. What I would ask you is how exactly can Dean Smith do any better with the resources at his disposal? Who exactly is this miracle worker you would replace him with?

Fortunately everything I've read and heard from Purslow and the board encourages me that they have a strategy and will put things in place behind the scenes to get things right. I do not believe anything would push them to sack Smith this season. I think next season once the dead wood has been moved on we will really start to see what Smith is about. The year after that I believe he will take us back to the Premier League.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I hope we get at least 30 mill just for Grealish. He has signed a new contract since we wanted 25 mill. You're right for as much talent as JG has, if he goes then we can bring in a few of the players Smith wants.

Next season brings hope we might actually build a proper squad instead of throwing money at random players.

I thought the owners had put a 40 mill tag on the lad, I think some club in the prem would pay that even with his injuries.

As much as i hate to see him go I think it would be for the best for one main reason alone that those players in the team from next season are not heavy reliant on just one person.

Whatever Grealish goes for I'll have this season's shirt with jacks name on back the one me dieing mum brought me for my birthday in August last year only to pass away the exact day it is jacks birthday 10th September, a strange occurrence to me, both my star players..

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, villadodo said:

Grealish and Tuanzebe have missed substantial parts of the season.

McGinn, Davis, Kalinic, Nyland and Lansbury are currently unavailable.

Taylor, Jedinak, Hutton, Bjarnason, Elmo, Elphick, Hogan, Adomah and the majority of the rest of the first team squad had all been written off as not being good enough by majority of fans even before Dean Smith arrived.

Of our youngsters O'Hare, RHM and Doyle-Hayes have not exactly set League 2 on fire. That is not knocking them but illustrating they are not ready to walk into the first team. Ramsey meanwhile has been promoted by Smith. He might be an exceptional 17 year old but I doubt all of the academy teenagers are ready for the Championship. 

My point is with the players we have available that currently we have a mid table Championship or possibly a bottom half Championship squad. I am not shocked that the performances have reflected that. The head coach Dean Smith is simply a cog in a bigger machine. If the board, the players, recruitment and other coaches were shit even Guardiola would struggle. On the whole I think majority of posts have been positive and patient. For those who are not happy I understand the frustration at paying good money to watch shit football week in week out. What I would ask you is how exactly can Dean Smith do any better with the resources at his disposal? Who exactly is this miracle worker you would replace him with?

Fortunately everything I've read and heard from Purslow and the board encourages me that they have a strategy and will put things in place behind the scenes to get things right. I do not believe anything would push them to sack Smith this season. I think next season once the dead wood has been moved on we will really start to see what Smith is about. The year after that I believe he will take us back to the Premier League.

Well said dodo and i agree..+1

2 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I read these threads and some our thoughts on managers are so diverse from each other its liking reading latest reports from Brexit we are all passionate and often get a little slated when we offer a different view. But we all want the same, our team back in the Prem and winning

This is what I think (so I too am prepared to be slated)

Bruce was sacked because - he had a good team on paper several X captains from other teams that had performed well before arriving at VP, but he wasn't winning with them. So he was sacked. If they had been winning everything and playing great football he would still be here. We cant keep blaming him for what he left, he was sacked for this reason. This is known as Cakeism in the land of Bolitics  

Dean was brought in because of what he was managing to do at Brentford with a squad not nearly so good on paper and using his youth payers because he had too, we all thought (well I did)  that if he could do it there he could do it at VP. and I welcomed his appointment 

He started doing it we were winning, we were entertaining, we had hope, now the style has changed and we aren't doing it , we are boring and we have desperation and cant see where the next win is coming from. Cant keep staying ahh well look at the injuries and ahh the team cant play his type of football. this is back to Cakeism

A top manager is supposed to be able to get the best out of the players he has, if they cant play his style then adapt to what they can do. As said so many times you cant keep doing the same thing every week and hope for a different result, But he is.

So for me this next few weeks really is the time for Deano to do something or he has to go along with every one else that couldn't turn the Villa around 

Amen

Some how I always think If we had managed to keep johnstone, snoddy, Grabban, Terry in our squad that Bruce may not have had that bad run at the start of this season, who knows. Wonder if Smith with those four players would be equally going through these results of draws, who knows. I think we're missing very important cogs to a squad that we obviously could not keep because money ran dry. It's a shame as I think losing those have caused a disturbance in the squad and ruined a good oiled machine. Now it seems a rip up and rebuild is necessary in order for our squad to become whole again and bring results in.

The one negative I think we can all agree on is how Bruce whether he deliberately sabotaged our squad or not made a mess of a defence in the end. He clearly made what was a very amateurish managerial move in leaving our defence wide open the way he did. To think that he his a guy who often relies of defensive tactics I just can't get it out of my head that he made that move on accident.

I've more than come to the conclusion earlier in the season that as a club we went and are still going through enough to put a team down and out for promotion back to the top. We are playing against clubs who are more than settled than what we are. It doesn't surprise me that were facing draws, in fact I'm surprised the amount of defeats have not been higher which I'm happy for.

Next season I would like our squad to go out and show the championship who we are. It's no easy task promotion which is why I don't think it will happen next season, but if it does fantastic.

Would be nice in the summer for the owners to come straight out and state None of the players we want to keep are going anywhere, that would settle things straight away. I know some still say we are a selling club and I can understand why they say that. Time will tell on that next season as our owners don't exactly need the funds. I also think those under our owners were bought in for a reason and will accomplish bringing in significant investment without the club needing to much financial support from the owners.

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

OGS is there until the summer and Dean Smith is planning for the future.

You don't get a head coach with his own football style in and then tell him to go away from his methods. You adapt to the managers style or you will be shown the door.

• Like 1

Â