Dean Smith

Demitri_C

46 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

On form over Smith's reign is does he have the team about where it should be or is he over or underachieving? 

Without Grealish I’d say we are under achieving although not massively. If we had Grealish I’d say we be still be challenging for top 6. Oh well.

OGS is a great example of a man learning from his mistakes from Cardiff where he tried to change too much when he arrived.

It looks like this time he made much smaller changes, but the big things is he adapted to the players he had available and plays to their strengths.

That's exactly what i want from DS. It's ok to try play the Brentford way after a Transfer window and pre season, but right now he have to adapt to the players, not the other way around. DS made too many changes when he arrived, it only adds confusion.

Why is he telling the likes of Chester and Elphick playing short passes in their own half? It's not their game, they are not ball playing defenders.

Edited by villalad21

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Was that a slight chink in the armour? This time next year you’ll be wearing a Dean Smith mask and singing Deano to the tune of Gino! 😄 

Lol - I hope so - love to be wrong about him.

I try to call it as I see it - The defence is looking better - so it should with a guy like Mings in there.....can we afford to keep him ? - should we shell out big bucks considering his injury record...? 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

OGS has done a great job with zero windows...

Well, I'd say he arrived at a club with a balanced squad with cover in every position, at the very least.

On OGS: at this point in time, he could be their equivalent to Sherwood arriving at Villa, or he might improve them over time. Only time will tell.

On DS: I'm sure you'll understand what I'm getting at in my first paragraph.

6 minutes ago, TB said:

On OGS: at this point in time, he could be their equivalent to Sherwood arriving at Villa, or he might improve them over time. Only time will tell.

He also get's the best out of his players and plays to their strengths. Something DS has failed to do big time.

It's something called man managment, pretty damn important attribute in modern football.

Edited by villalad21

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

Lol - I hope so - love to be wrong about him.

I try to call it as I see it - The defence is looking better - so it should with a guy like Mings in there.....can we afford to keep him ? - should we shell out big bucks considering his injury record...? 

Mings is a quality player, no doubt. However the big risk is his injury record as you rightly point out. If he stays injury free for the rest of the season that’s a positive if we want him. However that might put him out of our reach. We have a lot of questions to try to answer this summer, I’m glad I can just comment on here and don’t have any responsibility for those questions. 

I also hope you’re wrong about Smith, largely because that means we will be doing well and not starting again for the umpteenth time. All will be revealed in the fullness of time. 

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He also get's the best out of his players and plays to their strengths. Something DS has failed to do big time.

It's something called man managment, pretty damn important attribute in modern football.

Nice pruning of my post (or else you didn't understand what I was hinting at). I'd say Smith in his first games had his players playing well - much better than his predecessor was able to. The squad was still unbalanced and threadbare in vital areas, but the lack of cover wasn't that important at the time. I didn't see anyone complaining about lacking man management then. 

And then an attack-minded manager loses his best creative force and the only defender able to bring the ball out from the defence and link up with the midfield through injury. Of course it makes a difference.

Edited by TB
typo
  • Like 2

On 22/02/2019 at 09:58, Dave-R said:

Well the only way of getting out of that is to stick by someone for a change or find our White Knight every season or two, there is more chance of the first happening as the latter we've been trying it for decades..

I really really want to believe in Smith and this project but they’re really not making it easy. It’s just all a bit shit. 

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We are going to get between 30-40m between them two I think if they went. With that Smith could build a great team. 

I'd rather have a great squad as opposed to have one top player we heavily rely on wgo only plays half the season despite how good he is.

I hope we get at least 30 mill just for Grealish. He has signed a new contract since we wanted 25 mill. You're right for as much talent as JG has, if he goes then we can bring in a few of the players Smith wants.

Next season brings hope we might actually build a proper squad instead of throwing money at random players.

36 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I really really want to believe in Smith and this project but they’re really not making it easy. It’s just all a bit shit. 

Actually, I hope the project is bigger than Smith. When he's replaced (sooner or later. all managers/head coaches will be), I hope that he is replaced with a better version (tactics, man management, coaching, game management - whatever could be improved upon), but with a similar style. A Smith v.2.0, if you will. Just the fact that the club has hired a head coach and not a manager this time around gives me hope.

Edited by TB
trying to explain my idea of 'a better version' a little better
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I hope we get at least 30 mill just for Grealish. He has signed a new contract since we wanted 25 mill. You're right for as much talent as JG has, if he goes then we can bring in a few of the players Smith wants.

Next season brings hope we might actually build a proper squad instead of throwing money at random players.

nobody is paying 30 million for grealish, He has been injured for 1/3 of the season so far and hasn't exactly set the league alight when he was playing. Spurs were the only club remotely interested and they will not bid that much again. He will be staying or someone like leicester/west ham will bid 18 million and he'll be off.

Of course this all depends on tying all of them down but I'd be very excited about the club building around Mings/Axel/Grealish/McGinn. That is a very solid spine.

If only we got in Smith earlier and started this rebuild this summer we could have had Tammy on board too. This is the problem with getting all of these loans if you don't get promoted. So glad we're moving away from this model. At least with the January loans we have the option to sign them if we want.

I'd say, assuming we keep all of the aforementioned we'd need:

2 CMs at least

2 LBs

1 RB

1 CF

2 Wingers maybe even 3 if we don't sign El Ghazi

We'll probably be lining up something like this:

Kalinic

Guibert       Axel        Mings        New LB

New CM

McGinn                  Grealish

New Winger                  El Ghazi/New Winger

New CF/Kodjia/Hogan

Subs: Steer, New CB, New FB, Hourihane, Hogan/Kodjia, Green, New CM

That's almost a whole XI, but if this January window is anything to go by, I imagine we'll do a good job. Quietly excited about next season tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

nobody is paying 30 million for grealish, He has been injured for 1/3 of the season so far and hasn't exactly set the league alight when he was playing. Spurs were the only club remotely interested and they will not bid that much again. He will be staying or someone like leicester/west ham will bid 18 million and he'll be off.

He has release clause, he won't be going for 18mill

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What strength does our players have that he's not playing to? What would you have liked to see him do? 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You're comparing Manchester United's squad to ours 🤪 so your point is basically that OGS could've come in and done better than DS....

Cos he turned Cardiff into world beaters 😂

Edited by Villan_of_oz

On 20/02/2019 at 09:50, flashingqwerty said:

The thing for me is that DS put a string of 5 or 6 games together where we looked like a good team.

I cant recall that many games in SBs tenure where i felt we played well. - wolves, ... Erm... Im struggling for more...

I think even the wolves game flattered us a little. It was 1-1 at half time & I thought we did well to keep up with them in that half.

• Like 1

Â