Dean Smith

Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

That level of wholesale recruitment in one summer is difficult and January showed we aren’t the best at it. I know Summer market is better, but more likely it takes ~3 windows to get the optimised squad together. Which is why Smith needs to start getting more out of certain current players.  

Brian little had 1 summer and totally changed the squad, we had a superb 95-96 after a disastrous 94-95. Like you said it is difficult in one window but it can be done. (Times have changed i know)

I have made my views on DS clear. However one glimmer is the defence is starting to look a bit tighter.

DS always gets him team scoring goals...what I think will make or break him here is the defence. we know he can do the other bits.

I’m confident that we are now a much better run club than we have been for years and will be prepared for all eventualities. However I doubt McGinn will be going anywhere. Don’t get me wrong he has been great for us, his energy and drive has been immense, but I think at the moment he is a little short of PL quality, his passing and decision making aren’t always great. I also think he is enjoying being here and understands that we will be rebuilding. 

Jack could be a different story, but he has just signed a 5 year contract and although he will of course have to consider his career, he should be easier to persuade than most to stick with the project. Those two would be great building blocks to add to in the summer. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

I have made my views on DS clear. However one glimmer is the defence is starting to look a bit tighter.

DS always gets him team scoring goals...what I think will make or break him here is the defence. we know he can do the other bits.

Was that a slight chink in the armour? This time next year you’ll be wearing a Dean Smith mask and singing Deano to the tune of Gino! 😄 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

But can he do them all together?

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

First half was same as the last few weeks garbage but second half I thought we were really good. That's a solid point for us with no midfield. 

If we can see more the second half over 90 minutes then we definitely we will win more. 

One thing I wilm say despite critising Smith we do look a lot more solid at the back and not as shake as we were 

Am I seeing things or is that a positive post from you!!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ironically i think he is close to sorting out the defence which he admitting was his first objective. We now lack serious creativity, mainly due to injuries.

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

But can he do them all together?

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How about we give him a chance to find out. 

He is having his chance now, and failing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Albert said:

Brian little had 1 summer and totally changed the squad, we had a superb 95-96 after a disastrous 94-95. Like you said it is difficult in one window but it can be done. (Times have changed i know)

So did Sherwood.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Am I seeing things or is that a positive post from you!!

I’ll give him credit where it is due. It’s a good point today and I was pleased with the second half performance. We completed dominated and should have won had we had abit more quality up top

• Like 1

I honestly think DS will have Grealish and McGin next season to choose from, Jack having been injured so long won't go for the release clause price, McGin is firmly in contract and we are not a selling club. I hope we can get Mings permanently but I think we'll get outbid by a prem club. Otherwise I can easily see DS bringing in 4 or 5 players of the right attributes and we will fly next season. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

On form over Smith's reign is does he have the team about where it should be or is he over or underachieving? 

Hard to say isn't it? A team with Mings, Grealish, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, McGinn etc. we would be getting a lot more wins thaan we are currently, With Chester playing through injury alongside Tuanzebe with Grealish in the team we played incredibly well and had a great run. Add Mings and Hause to that and we're a stronger side than the one Smith got playing amazingly and getting results. 

Without Grealish, Tuanzebe, Lansbury, Chester etc. through injury we've looked poor, now picking up a bit even without McGinn is a big positive for when we get him back. So mixed bag, showed massive potential, completely fallen to pieces through injury, had to adapt, starting to look better.... average all that out and I spose you get mid table and neither under or over achieving really. Could have been different with no injuries, even though it's not his squad.

Big summer, then next year is where we should start to be able to judge  properly how things might go longer term. With the dead team walking it's just treading water till summer in a lot of respects but at least he'll have a good idea of who he wants to keep if anyone of the 8 that started today who will be out of contract or gone back to parent clubs in the summer.

1 hour ago, Uncle Albert said:

OGS has done a great job with zero windows...

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m confident that we are now a much better run club than we have been for years and will be prepared for all eventualities. However I doubt McGinn will be going anywhere. Don’t get me wrong he has been great for us, his energy and drive has been immense, but I think at the moment he is a little short of PL quality, his passing and decision making aren’t always great. I also think he is enjoying being here and understands that we will be rebuilding. 

I think ALL players with qualities like him, will eventually get better when they have better players around them.

He has probably spent most of the season running around like a headless chicken to make up for the sheer pressure on our team most of the time.

Eventually something will give as there is only so much you can give until you are spent.

Hopefully next season we will have a more balances side and he can flourish.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I honestly think DS will have Grealish and McGin next season to choose from, Jack having been injured so long won't go for the release clause price, McGin is firmly in contract and we are not a selling club. I hope we can get Mings permanently but I think we'll get outbid by a prem club. Otherwise I can easily see DS bringing in 4 or 5 players of the right attributes and we will fly next season. 

If I’m honest, Mings looks too good for this level.

• Like 1

Not a fan of DS but we were better today. Hopefully that will act as a springboard for the rest of the season. In my view he needs a big run for the rest of the season to justify keeping his job. Hopefully that will start by stuffing Derby at B6 next week

Â