Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I think Smith's problem is motivation. Nothing wrong with his tactics or planning, just doesn't get the players ready to run through walls for him. The mitigating circumstance is that a lot of them won't be here next season anyway and have seemingly checked out, but I don't think DS can motivate well.

Unfortunately it seems like this now.

Were dominating every game in terms of possession, amount of passes, pass completion e.t.c.

Just no cutting edge or drive in the middle of the park combined with far too many players who can't be arsed and have nothing to play for.

It will be onwards and upwards next season.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I think Smith's problem is motivation. Nothing wrong with his tactics or planning, just doesn't get the players ready to run through walls for him. The mitigating circumstance is that a lot of them won't be here next season anyway and have seemingly checked out, but I don't think DS can motivate well.

And this is exactly why I am excited to see what players who want to play for him can do! He needs to be given this chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Whatever you're opinion of Smith - I wonder how people pro or anti think Smith will still be here by Christmas ?

I’d happily place a bet with anybody if he is given the pre-season we will be challenging for top 2 by next Christmas. 

Saying that last time I won a bet on here with @dont_do_it_doug. he never paid up. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yup. Very important summer ahead and the players we go for need to be of the right personality and attitude to work well in the team. Smith's approach is seemingly pretty specific and while that is definitely a strength, with the squad we've got not being right for it, it's a bit hard going at the moment. 

In any case, I'm prepared to give him time. 

That level of wholesale recruitment in one summer is difficult and January showed we aren’t the best at it. I know Summer market is better, but more likely it takes ~3 windows to get the optimised squad together. Which is why Smith needs to start getting more out of certain current players.  

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Whatever you're opinion of Smith - I wonder how people pro or anti think Smith will still be here by Christmas ?

I don’t think he’ll be here in August.

• Confused 1

There's a lack of quality but more so a lack of motivation and drive, Smith doesn't seem to be able to get a huge amount out of what he has. Ultimately the clear out has to happen and I'm hopeful Smith will be around to spearhead it. Wasn't a 'terrible' display today, it's just frustrating that the urgency only came around the 70 minute mark in the second half, we need to be starting games like that.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

22 minutes ago, AshVilla said:
Were dominating every game in terms of possession, amount of passes, pass completion e.t.c.

Just no cutting edge or drive in the middle of the park combined with far too many players who can't be arsed and have nothing to play for.

It will be onwards and upwards next season.

Our midfield was Glen Whelan and Conor Hourihane. Where is this drive you speak of going to come from?

• Like 1

In terms of effort I thought they gave it their all for most of the game. The quality was just lacking. In the second half Stoke seem to tire and we were able to apply more pressure. 

Motivation or effort isn’t the problem for me. It’s purely down to quality of the players. 

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I didn't watch today, did we go more 4-4-2?

Yeh but one of Abraham or Kodija would always drop so was more a 4-4-1-1

We bossed the game so midfield didn’t struggle defensively. Just couldn’t break them down. 

I think they had 2 attempts all game. 

It becomes much more obvious how big of an impact Greallish has been when you look at the midfield in his absence. Not a creative bone in there. It's no surprise we were playing such great football when we had Jack and McGinn playing as #8's. They were so good it didn't matter if it was Hourihane or Whelan sitting behind them. Take either of them out of the picture, and it kind of does matter then.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It becomes much more obvious how big of an impact Greallish has been when you look at the midfield in his absence. Not a creative bone in there. It's no surprise we were playing such great football when we had Jack and McGinn playing as #8's. They were so good it didn't matter if it was Hourihane or Whelan sitting behind them. Take either of them out of the picture, and it kind of does matter then.

Problem is Jack and possibly McGinn wont be here next season, so we need to potentialy replace both

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

Problem is Jack and possibly McGinn wont be here next season, so we need to potentialy replace both

Yup, and I'm sure Smith and the club are planning for such a scenario. I'm ready for the rebuild next season and am confident we'll start in August a much better and more balanced side. 

• Like 1

First half was same as the last few weeks garbage but second half I thought we were really good. That's a solid point for us with no midfield. 

If we can see more the second half over 90 minutes then we definitely we will win more. 

One thing I wilm say despite critising Smith we do look a lot more solid at the back and not as shake as we were 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

We are going to get between 30-40m between them two I think if they went. With that Smith could build a great team. 

I'd rather have a great squad as opposed to have one top player we heavily rely on wgo only plays half the season despite how good he is. 

• Like 2

Â