Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think its petulant and sums up the modern football fan to want a manager out so early

9 hours ago, Nigel said:

There's a lot to be said for this!

A lot of villa fans haven't known it any other way. Social media has just exacerbated this immediate results philosophy imo, the need to be first to any idea makes me want to weep!

A tad harsh on the patronising side there gents.

I get what you are saying and I can see your side of the argument which is relevent so many a fan of clubs in todays modern era of football.

But on the other side of the coin, many of these fans who are not so wrapped up in a modern day social media spin but have been following football and this club heavily since 1982 and probably longer have seen enough and witnessed enough to know that Dean Smith is not right for this club and is out his depth.

I always felt the club and occasion would be too big for him - especially if things ever turned.

He has not showed enough in the times when it's mattered to get this team performing and nor does he fill me with confidence of building another team knowing he is a League one version of one dimensional football.

First we had Steve Bruce and his 4 promotions now we've got Dean Smith and the 'Dean Smith' way. Sorry, but no thanks.

This club needs a manager who has atleast done something above the football league and has an ilk of being able to have alternative ideas and suggestions combined with adaptability when the shit hits the fan.

We need a manager that has finished higher than football league midtable at best with a team he built - that took years to build anyway.

I get we shouldn't be chopping and changing managers, absolutely. So let's try appointing a decent one from the beginning that does instill hope and confidence into the fans and that does have a wealth of football experience above Championship level and further.

I think many fans have realised very quickly Dean Smith style of management has a ceiling and unfortunately it's not high enough for a club of Aston Villa's stature and where we need to be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

We're descending into madness here. Now we're to believe Smith had very little to do with coaching at Brentford, and in fact there was an army of 300 coaches who did it all while Smith stared longingly at a poster of Paul Mcgrath. 

The 10 games before Smith left, Brentford took 14 points. The 10 games after they took 4. What happened if not Smith then? The Shoelace tying coach take a sabbatical? 

A crazy point to disprove a crazy statement. 

Wear has anyone said this ?

The Brentford on here implied Smith took over as he was happy not to have control over transfers, where as warbuton quit because he wanted more control.

more and more clubs operate like that now. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

The Brentford on here implied Smith took over as he was happy not to have control over transfers, where as warbuton quit because he wanted more control.

The initial point wasn't about transfers though. I fully understand the nature of our model and I'm very much aware that more and more clubs are moving to that model. 

Someone else back in the thread was talking about Smith having little influence on the development of players at Brentford, implying he did very little. 

I have to keep reminding myself that we all want the same thing, just disagree about how we get there. Equally it seems some people just dislike Smith and are very quick to dismiss anything he's done as someone else. 

Edited by Sam3773
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Fact is the owners at the moment seem happy with what's happening.

You know this, how? 

Also you constant bashing of the fans is getting tiresome. Fans are entitled to their opinion and if results are poor with little to no sign of improving, they will be unhappy and rightly so. 

The latest Villa View podcast was very good.

They spoke about fans, and being disappointed and upset about how Villa Park and Villa fans in general are becoming very miserable.

To the point where some fans (Them included) are beginning to wonder what they are a part of.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

You are correct whenever we were in the transfer window and Dean was asked about players in or out he would say talk to the DoFs.Doesnt make him a bad coach and these players who come in have to be coached to improve as players and he was very succesfull at doing this.It’s up to your scouts and DoF to get better players in and then you would be able to judge him the squad he has just isn’t good enough to get you to the PL He needs time something you big clubs never want to do

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

The initial point wasn't about transfers though. I fully understand the nature of our model and I'm very much aware that more and more clubs are moving to that model. 

Someone else back in the thread was talking about Smith having little influence on the development of players at Brentford, implying he did very little. 

I have to keep reminding myself that we all want the same thing, just disagree about how we get there. Equally it seems some people just dislike Smith and are very quick to dismiss anything he's done as someone else. 

Fair enough. Brentford nylons has posted an excellent peice on how smith operated at Brentford.

UTV

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah over the moon Dem.

its not ideal. It’s not the end of the world. 

So we agree then so what was your point? ;)

Let's hope that changes today. Believe it or not I really want Smith to be a success here. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jim said:

You know this, how? 

Also you constant bashing of the fans is getting tiresome. Fans are entitled to their opinion and if results are poor with little to no sign of improving, they will be unhappy and rightly so. 

What and the constant fans bashing Smith isn't tiresome so spare me the crap mate. Think I'm entitled to an opinion as well right?? It's not like I'm saying to everyone of our fans out there that what they are doing is wrong, most are supportive. Those that are doing more of the same, again and again instead of getting behind who is at the helm and being fully supportive is not helping our squad out at all is it.

Speaks for itself doesn't it that the owners would of been in by now with the current run of draws. Also when the owners stated before Smith joined while bruce was still around that promotion was not a thing this season, that if promotion happened great but it wasnt a demand.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Dean Smith might be exactly the right manager for us in the summer. I wish he could go on holiday until then and we could appoint a caretaker.

As things stand, I'd rate him about 5-1 to make it to the summer - there are already plenty of critics and if we lose the next three or four, which I think is very possible, then I think it'll be vey difficult. We might be about to learn something about our board.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I have a feeling that Dean Smith might be exactly the right manager for us in the summer. I wish he could go on holiday until then and we could appoint a caretaker.

As things stand, I'd rate him about 5-1 to make it to the summer - there are already plenty of critics and if we lose the next three or four, which I think is very possible, then I think it'll be vey difficult. We might be about to learn something about our board.

I think that you are right, our board will show soon enough what will happen, whether they think Smith is the man he will be here in the summer.

They could also come swooping in and replace Smith if it needs to be done, but it needs to be with someone who is established and has achieved promotion and more.

It's a real tough world and I dont envy those who have decisions to make and are in charge of our squad for many reasons.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The latest Villa View podcast was very good.

They spoke about fans, and being disappointed and upset about how Villa Park and Villa fans in general are becoming very miserable.

To the point where some fans (Them included) are beginning to wonder what they are a part of.

It's a very good video and they speak from many different points of view. One thing I entirely agree on is we need to get behind our team fully, it's our club, our players.

The toxicity around villa is absoloute crazy and those who do it do need to take a step back and breathe like these guys say.

(Villa fans are gaining a reputation as a bunch of fans who can't take losing a game, drawing a game or underachieving in a game) The guy on the right couldn't of said it any better than that.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This. 

What goes on behind the scenes would be so interesting to know. 

If the board believe in smith and he has a clear message and plan then I imagine they’ll stick with him into next season no matter what (within reason)

like you said, it may teach us a lot about the board. He’s their man, you’d think they back him for next season at least. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nigel said:

Who then?

Who are you seriously expecting to take over a mid table championship team with immediate pressure to win every game with attacking football?

What are you going to say when the next manager inevitability hits a bad run?

Why not give this manager your support? 

Great post.

Spoiler alert - we are just not that a big a draw for many managers. Just being ‘Aston Villa’ is not enough to attract the sort of names that get bandied around on VT. Rodger? Benitez? Dream on.

We are currently a bang average mid table Championship side whose squad needs to be majorly rebuilt on limited funds. Personally I don’t think we can hope for much better than Smith and I do think he needs to be given time as I believe he can rebuild the squad and get us playing the right sort of football.

Bruce got 100 games over two years and spent tens of millions to take us nowhere and yet 3-4 months in fans want Smith out to bring in who? Oh yes that dream manager, the best manager we have ever had......until he loses a few games.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

Great post.

Spoiler alert - we are just not that a big a draw for many managers. Just being ‘Aston Villa’ is not enough to attract the sort of names that get bandied around on VT. Rodger? Benitez? Dream on.

We are currently a bang average mid table Championship side whose squad needs to be majorly rebuilt on limited funds. Personally I don’t think we can hope for much better than Smith and I do think he needs to be given time as I believe he can rebuild the squad and get us playing the right sort of football.

Bruce got 100 games over two years and spent tens of millions to take us nowhere and yet 3-4 months in fans want Smith out to bring in who? Oh yes that dream manager, the best manager we have ever had......until he loses a few games.

I think Barr Chris Wilder, Beisla. Most championship managers would come here if an offer was made in the close season

Aston Villa is a massive pull at this level.

Edited by hippo

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Great post.

But but but Wagner and Jokanovic are available don't you know!

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I think Barr Chris Wilder, Beisla. Most championship managers would come here if an offer was made in the close.

Aston Villa is a massive pull at this level.

And here lies your hypocrisy my friend because 'most' championship managers are not good enough according to your rhetoric!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, New_Hope said:

And here lies your hypocrisy my friend because 'most' championship managers are not good enough according to your rhetoric!

I dont ever recall saying that.

Happy to accept your apologies....?

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I dont ever recall saying that.

Happy to accept your apologies....?

I apologize for nothing mate because surely Smith equates to 'most championship managers' and he is not good enough and yet you have implied many a time at the club should be looking for a top class manager.

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

I apologize for nothing mate because surely Smith equates to 'most championship managers and he is not good enough and yet you have implied many a time at the club should be looking for a top class manager.

Can I just where all the angst has come from ?

All I have said is Aston Villa are still a big draw at this Level

what on earth are you reading ?

Â