Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Bruce went on a horrific run from a similar time 2 seasons ago and that was after spending a fortune in the 2017 January transfer window. I think we got down to about 17th. It took him the summer to build a side he wanted. This is basically a repeat but with a more attacking manager, and that this time around we will have far less money to rebuild the squad. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Bruce went on a horrific run from a similar time 2 seasons ago and that was after spending a fortune in the 2017 January transfer window. I think we got down to about 17th. It took him the summer to build a side he wanted. This is basically a repeat but with a more attacking manager, and that this time around we will have far less money to rebuild the squad. 

Yeah broadly this is it.

In fairness we did have a decent/good run of six or seven games after that dismal run under Bruce which I think persuaded most that he should be given the following season. I think an equivalent decent run under Smith in the final quarter of this season would alleviate a fair few concerns.

In cooler moments, after the frustration of crap results, I've returned to thinking Dean needs a full summer and pretty much a whole new squad. Go get the gems from league 1 and 2, and scour the young stars in some of the foreign leagues. Let those guys be the bulwark of a new team of players we can fully get behind and forge a new identity - hopefully with some of our youngsters currently out on loan. 

Most of the players we have are shit and only going to get shitter, I am more ready to believe that Dean can get better with players he wants. Still pissed off with the performances of late though

Aside from that we cant obviously continue with this awful form for the rest of the season I think the deciding factor for Smith is why did they sign him.

He was brought in mid season due to Bruce having lost it. 

But was he brought in because they identified him as THE guy they wanted, or as a cheap option with some Villa connection to up the feel good factor (and to hopefully improve our fortunes) that could be got at the time?

I've no idea tbh, the club is not going to come out and tell us either way, and even if they did  would not take it to heart anyway. It's a business.

Hopefully for Smith the stuff happening behind closed doors and in training is more impressive than the stuff we are seeing on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, sne said:

But was he brought in because they identified him as THE guy they wanted, or as a cheap option with some Villa connection to up the feel good factor (and to hopefully improve our fortunes) that could be got at the time?

I've no idea tbh, the club is not going to come out and tell us either way, and even if they did  would not take it to heart anyway. It's a business.

Well, if the poor form continues for the remainder of the season, we’ll have an answer to this one way or another. Especially if there are options like Jokanovic and Wagner still available by then.

Poor form continues and he’s here for next season, they believe in a long term project and he’s the man to do it.

Poor form continues and he’s shown the door, it would add some weight to the argument he was a cheap stop gap appointment.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you dont think they have had a better squad all season?

Only Villa players that get in Derby team is Tammy, Mings, Jack and McGinn. 2 are on loan(1 joined in January) and 1 is injured

Come on our squad is better in my eyes. I don't know their injury situation but we have better players than them 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Come on our squad is better in my eyes. I don't know their injury situation but we have better players than them 

We really dont. Lawrence, Carson, Wilson, Davies, Mount, Johnson, Bryson, King even Richard Keogh would have improved us this season

We have a shit squad for money we pay

33 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Well, if the poor form continues for the remainder of the season, we’ll have an answer to this one way or another. Especially if there are options like Jokanovic and Wagner still available by then.

Poor form continues and he’s here for next season, they believe in a long term project and he’s the man to do it.

Poor form continues and he’s shown the door, it would add some weight to the argument he was a cheap stop gap appointment.

Agreed, would also add credence to who we were initially linked with. Fonseca and the other Portuguese folk.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We really dont. Lawrence, Carson, Wilson, Davies, Mount, Johnson, Bryson, King even Richard Keogh would have improved us this season

We have a shit squad for money we pay

I disagree I think Chester Mings tuanzebe grealish bolaise (when he ws Shere) Kodjia Abraham I'd even say El ghazi when on form all get in their team. I think we have a better keeper now too

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree I think Chester Mings tuanzebe grealish bolaise (when he ws Shere) Kodjia Abraham I'd even say El ghazi when on form all get in their team. I think we have a better keeper now too

So that list includes three injured players, two wildly inconsistent attacking players, one player who’s been here a few weeks and a wasteman.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's also Lampards first go as Manager, anywhere. 

They've played well against, and beaten Premier league teams. 

Their expectations / needs are not as high as ours. 

Theyre above us in the league and their form is better. 

But yeah aside from that, them losing at home to Millwall is directly comparable with our situation.......great comparison. 

not my comparison really, Some of the smith apologists were getting hysterical about derby last night, other people were asking about derbys results compared to ours, i just provided the numbers.

We are shit, they are less shit, They have drawn an awful lot of games lately but other than that are far better off than us at the moment

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The way we are banging on about DS already, no other competent manager should touch us with a barge pole.

We are  seriously our own worst enemy.

Really don't think this differs from any other club.

Barca fans are crying that Valverde got a new contract ffs.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

but for some reason less patience 

We went 9 games without a win, We fixed this immediately by winning 7 of the next 8

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Really don't think this differs from any other club.

Barca fans are crying that Valverde got a new contract ffs.

Obviously a totally different level though.

Barcelona are the cream of the crop.

For instance, I actually understood Arsenal fans frustrations with Wenger and i'm not even an Arsenal fan.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

but for some reason less patience 

You're joking aren't you?

The knives were out for Bruce in that first bad spell by those who wanted him gone from the start.

Much like is happening here with Smith.

It's the world of VT. You'll get a few posters who will nail their colours to the mast early on and won't waver from their opinion no matter what.

It happened with bruce, it's happened with Smith it'll happen with the next guy

• Like 2

Â