Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Still keeping faith in DS. If he have the courage and play the likes of Ramsey and start them soon I would be very encouraged.

Last time we didnt play our youngster neither last season when we managed the playoffs early nor the season before where we missed it early.

Its not that we have other choice but to play them! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

You seem to think we are in for a huge rebuild and have the finances to accomplish this. I think you will be in for a surprise next summer

Well just maybe we will have to recruit just like any other established Championship club. Proactively recruit younger, hungrier players that have yet to get a chance at this level whilst also integrating our own youngsters if they are of the required ability and attitude. Mixing in a few loans where required is also a sensible option if future purchases are agreed. This will not require tens of millions and I’m glad about that as those days are gone and we now have to become s properly run viable financial business of a football club...yes it will require some investment but not at the completely unsustainable and ridiculous levels we have seen in our Championship seasons prior. 

I am very excited to see what DS will do and it may well take 2-3 years before we are ready to challenge but if that means we see a energetic, hungry, pacy and technical team playing attractive football well I’m on board as I haven’t seen that from Villa since the Big Ron days. Bring it on!!!

One of my problems with Smith is that he speaks well, and tells us all the right things, but....

I have nothing to conclude that he gets the things done he promises and speaks about. It's not enough to have the right views or ideas, you also have to be able to put them into practice.

He speaks about how he wants us to play like Brentford. Then why do we play Bruceball? Why don't we even try to do something else, at least in the beginning of matches? We go in as losers - we get out as losers. He should get more out of this lot, plain and simple.

So far, with the exception of a handful of games early on (new manager bounce), he is all talk, no action.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

One of my problems with Smith is that he speaks well, and tells us all the right things, but....

I have nothing to conclude that he gets the things done he promises and speaks about. It's not enough to have the right views or ideas, you also have to be able to put them into practice.

He speaks about how he wants us to play like Brentford. Then why do we play Bruceball? Why don't we even try to do something else, at least in the beginning of matches? We go in as losers - we get out as losers. He should get more out of this lot, plain and simple.

So far, with the exception of a handful of games early on (new manager bounce), he is all talk, no action.

First half hour against Albion we played some nice stuff. Second half not really, but the first 30 mins we were good.

Nice bloke local lad. You have to look at the facts and stats since he has been here, and it’s not good enough . You can argue not his team not his players can’t play his system . 

The stats replicate his career we can’t risk another season of ifs buts or maybe . If the owners are serious I think things will change again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KHV said:

I think we will be in big trouble next season as most relegated "big" clubs are after failing to get promotion after the parachute money runs out. Forest, Wednesday, Leeds, Man City etc. A further drop down the ladder would not come as a shock to me

You're a real ray of sunshine aren't you? 

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He didn't say he can't get them to play the way he wants, just that he needs time to do so. Perhaps try reading his words? Here, I'll quote him for you:

OK, that’s s good line to try at a performance review. *Yes, performance is unsatisfactory right now and I can’t get I want from my team but give me enough time and it will all be wonderful.*

(Hollow laughter from your boss ensues)

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Derby lost at home tonight to lowly Millwall, I wonder will Derbytalk be criticising him for having no promotion experience and demand him sacked for taking them nowhere

Probably the worst performance they've seen in 75 years too,  in danger of doing a Sunderland.

If the owners are serious they'll send shock waves through the game and hire Mourinho or Wenger.

• Haha 1

On 19/02/2019 at 21:14, TRO said:

I am tired of listening to these manager philosophies....what's Darren Moores philosophy?.....what's Chris Wilders Philosophy?....What's  Lee Johnsons Philosophies.

They just build balanced teams......players who can defend and players who can attack.

They all work their nuts off and don't get physically out played.

Its so damn obvious its untrue.......we are a million miles away from anything that resembles balanced.

Yes but did those managers hit the ground running and stayed running, they have had there tough times as well.

The Fact we go through managers like its a yearly pass for video game, tells me we really need to change the way in which we go about things. I can understand some critism towards Smith but when are we going to actually learn a lesson here and stick by someone for a change as it's just more of the same with some fans.

I made up my mind after Bruce I'm willing to change, especially how I've come to the conclusion it wasn't all his fault as to why the results have been the way they were. I would put a bet under this squad till it gets torn apart we could put X amount of managers to manage them and we would end up with the same kind of results. 

I would say some do have philosophy's, they must do, they have had to do things in a way that meant things were not easy for them and funds were not always there. The way in which some of these coaches have had to play the game, teach there squads in how to work together in the way the coach wants things to work. Some of these Coaches bring an idea and it's explodes into a full game plan that becomes a way of thinking and a club adopts it into a lifestyle. The fact big money teams like ours have lost to these Coaches is really testament to the way in how they have had to adapt or be swallowed up which is where were at now i think adapt or be swallowed up and drift further into oblivion.

We have way to many impatient fans, wanting the world or should I say expecting it, it's about time we played that long game and built something. It is also about time we got rid of the idea that were going to come across our white knight of a manager/coach every season, it hasn't worked for us for 20 years and it's not going to now.

I'm with Smith long term and I hope our owners are as well and choose not to listen to those fans who start calling for Smith out all because we go on a bad run. After the west brom game I had seen X amount of fans coming in from other clubs saying all the same thing really, that it is no good changing manager. We dont learn anything changing manager every season and it takes rebuild after rebuild and more money, I'd rather see one Coach keep building on a future.

Recent signings to me suggest were on the right track. The fact 3 of our big guys are all in a whattsapp group discussing future signings tells me that no one guy has the power. Less chance of failure on signings means we wont get the level of rejects on big money that have been at our club for some seasons now. The summer has me filled with excitement and optimism that we can finally be rid of certain players and Dean can make his version of a swuad and hope we see a return of what we seen earlier when he arrived.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Derby lost at home tonight to lowly Millwall, I wonder will Derbytalk be criticising him for having no promotion experience and demand him sacked for taking them nowhere

Have Derby won more than 7 in 22?  I can't be arsed to look but I'm guessing yes maybe be the answer?  

Results have been awful so far.

I don't like the idea of gambling on him another year hoping he will do something he has never in he's managerial career achieved, promotion.

If there were some signs that it might happen under him next season fair enough, but there is nothing to suggest we will be anywhere near top 6 under him next season. That's why i'd be ruthless and get in someone with a better track record.

I want Dean to succeed....but so much rests on getting the right players in , in the summer.

It does take time, but it takes money and Nous and a host of other factors too.

I hope he can do it.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I don't like the idea of gambling on him another year hoping he will do something he has never in he's managerial career achieved, promotion.

If there were some signs that it might happen under him next season fair enough, but there is nothing to suggest we will be anywhere near top 6 under him next season. That's why i'd be ruthless and get in someone with a better track record.

I hear steve bruce has more promotions to the premier league than anyone else on the whole universe, ever. Sky sports tells me we should get him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think top class managers or coaches will come here, they know all to well what's on the line and how quickly the fan base turns and throws abuse at them.

The impatient and high almighty fans who think that we deserve everything in football would only drive any top quality coach or manager away and all in one season.

I find for a club like ours that alot of our fans and the way they can go off is absoloute disgraceful at times. It's as if we had been man Utd winning that many trophys and then came along other clubs stealing the thunder, in fact there fans behave better yet I'd expect it from man Utd fans as they are used to being spoilt eith silverwear, they are are no longer winning the league every season.

Only someone who sees that we should be obtaining promotion will think the results have been awful so far. I don't think the results have been awful because I was never looking at us getting promoted this season. In fact I would say that while we've seen wins under Smith and then a bunch of draws and a few losses isn't all that bad. The fact we keep tossing managers away because of a run of results like this is proof that we do not learn our lessons. One day we will end up throwing someone away like rubbish and then they will go ahead and totally go do something they should of done at villa and it will bite us in the ass. All because of the way our fans treat players and managers we can't seem to find anyone to stick with, makes you see why we have fallen so far. I'd say it was the fans as much as the players/managers the toxicity at times is unreal, there is no loyalty towards the man that comes in to do the job for the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I hear steve bruce has more promotions to the premier league than anyone else on the whole universe, ever. Sky sports tells me we should get him.

That old chestnut ay?? 😋

Â