Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We really, really can't afford to just get shot before he's actually had a chance. Both financially and for our long term future. Bruce was allowed time, the very least we can do is extend the same to Smith.

Bruce was allowed too long and by an incompetent owner - I don’t think finance would come into their thinking regarding smiths future - it’s a results game - I’d be tempted to give him the window and 12 games  of the new season and see where we stand but he needs to turn this form around too - if we finish in the bottom 8 then he will be lucky to survive 

• Like 1

I think he does need time, within reason.

However, I don't think the Brentford Model will work with us.....I don't see us going up without a discerning view on defence.....I mean, the whole team having an ability to defend.....See Man U last night or Albion against us.

I think there will be much scrutiny, in what happens between now and the end of the season.....and opinions behind the scenes will be made....Its not a question of whats fair and whats not.....if Dean presides over a similar run in his first 14' he may not be given the time or opportunity to try and improve it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bruce was allowed too long and by an incompetent owner - I don’t think finance would come into their thinking regarding smiths future - it’s a results game - I’d be tempted to give him the window and 12 games  of the new season and see where we stand but he needs to turn this form around too - if we finish in the bottom 8 then he will be lucky to survive 

Finance should come into it, we lose the best part of £300k a week in revenue soon, expiring contracts nearly cover it leaving net nothing for a rebuild without selling some of the bigger earners with a year left. Smith has worked under bigger constraints and him, Pitarch, Kelly etc. will have better resources than Brentford regardless. What they need is some time. Binning the project before it has a chance to get going incurs cost in paying off Smith and Kelly.

EDIT: Bruce in the end was given too much time, but he was allowed to have a preseason to get things how he wanted for a tilt at going up (which very nearly happened). The same should be given to Smith.

Edited by romavillan

Just now, romavillan said:

Finance should come into it, we lose the best part of £300k a week in revenue soon, expiring contracts nearly cover it leaving net nothing for a rebuild without selling some of the bigger earners with a year left. Smith has worked under bigger constraints and him, Pitarch, Kelly etc. will have better resources than Brentford regardless. What they need is some time. Binning the project before it has a chance to get going incurs cost in paying off Smith and Kelly.

I’d hope that purslow is right in his comments about ffp and that our finances are not bad enough to worry about who we can or can’t afford to sack - if smith does finish in the bottom 8 and the board feel they can attract a better manager then I’d hope that finance wouldn’t be an obstacle - that said I’m sure we all hope smith does succeed - I certainly could never have envisaged a run like this a couple of months ago 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

EDIT: Bruce in the end was given too much time, but he was allowed to have a preseason to get things how he wanted for a tilt at going up (which very nearly happened). The same should be given to Smith.

Big  Differennce like it or not ! Bruce had a track record , really dont want to change but dont see DS lasting to much longer.  

• Like 1

I am tired of listening to these manager philosophies....what's Darren Moores philosophy?.....what's Chris Wilders Philosophy?....What's  Lee Johnsons Philosophies.

They just build balanced teams......players who can defend and players who can attack.

They all work their nuts off and don't get physically out played.

Its so damn obvious its untrue.......we are a million miles away from anything that resembles balanced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think if he can demonstate that a few players have significantly improved, he will get time.....they will see, things can get better

I have seen no one improve under his tutelage.....its not good guys.

bumping along, much like Bruce, will not save him.

33 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We really, really can't afford to just get shot before he's actually had a chance. Both financially and for our long term future. Bruce was allowed time, the very least we can do is extend the same to Smith.

34 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I don't want to drift in to the Bruce bit....i think it detracts from the real issue.

Its not a question of what is right, its a question of whether owners feel they are backing a winning horse.....They will need to see something tangible in order to give him next season.If we carry on struggling like we are, but he manages to turn a couple of players form around, he could survive.

Give the owners nothing.....I fear the worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Eh ? are you saying we should start calling smith , Jovanic ?

Not sure if you seriously don’t understand my post or if it was just a lead to your quip.

I assume you wouldn’t want Jovanic sacked after just one January window and no preseason, as you’d correctly think the club hadn’t given him a fair chance to implement his managing ability. I think it’s fair to apply that rationale to Smith.

1 minute ago, brommy said:

Not sure if you seriously don’t understand my post or if it was just a lead to your quip.

I assume you wouldn’t want Jovanic sacked after just one January window and no preseason, as you’d correctly think the club hadn’t given him a fair chance to implement his managing ability. I think it’s fair to apply that rationale to Smith.

It’s jokanovic not jovanic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

One player does not make a team and he brought him in didn't he so not sure what the point is? 

The point, I think is they were on a poor run till January and they didn't sack the manager, even after the poor win %ge he had the season before...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

but what will happen next season when we pick up a couple of injurues?

Smith started with 5 wins from 8 with this aparently shit squad that he has since added to, a couple of injuries and the whole style of play & gameplan is completely out of the window and he doesn't look like he has a clue what he is doing.

He's gone from great after match chats & press conferences talking about phases/traps/videos at half time to saying the ref is shit and we are unlucky against teams we barely kicked the ball against for 80% of the match

Thats where the idea of transfer windows and him building his "squad" come sin.

Have they not been?

You think he REALLY thinks we've played well when we haven't? Or is he trying to tread carefully?

As you pointed out, there were times we got good results and performances and he has stated that we havent played well.

Think he has realised we are limited and is trying to survive until he can f*ck a load of these off.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The point, I think is they were on a poor run till January and they didn't sack the manager, even after the poor win %ge he had the season before...

Okay cool, well fingers crossed Smith finds himself a Mitrovic to solve his problems, I remain sceptical personally. We look shite. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am tired of listening to these manager philosophies....what's Darren Moores philosophy?.....what's Chris Wilders Philosophy?....What's  Lee Johnsons Philosophies.

They just build balanced teams......players who can defend and players who can attack.

They all work their nuts off and don't get physically out played.

Its so damn obvious its untrue.......we are a million miles away from anything that resembles balanced.

Just a buzzword for struggling managers. If we were sitting top of the championship we wouldnt be talking about how good the philosophy is !

its all winning the next few games, building an identity that may kick in 3 seasons time is no good to me.....

When the pressure is on and he needs to keep up with the pack we let ourselves down. We were well within a playoff spot chance not long ago only 4 points from it. Now were 9 points off which could potentially be 15 points.

Thats what i find crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay.P.A said:

wtf? Are you feeling alright?

Your views seem a tad bit simplistic and quite short sighted. "Good managers win matches and poor ones don't" - so there's no other factors? It's just black and white to you.

there are other factors....but the significant one is how many games he wins.

football is a simple game mate....you win, loose or draw...loose and draw to many and fans get jumpy. Win lots and youre a hero. pretty much how much its been in 45 years of watching villa.

The odd geezer tries to blag it by laying foundations, building an ethos, and getting an identity...but they usually dissapear in nothingness after a short while.

Â