Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I love the idea that some genuinely believe Pep Guardiola himself could walk in, hit the ground running, and get Neil Taylor, Mile Jedinak and Alan bloody Hutton to play exciting expansive football. 

Aston Villa - 6 managers in 5 years. 

Yeah a lot villa fans are thinking precisely that. :) 

12 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

The fans are going crazy because results aren't improving and the performances are getting worse with each passing game.

I don't see how the results are getting worse we came back and got a point from behind against the third best team in the league. 

Performances yes have been crap to poor but results wise its not got worse been about the same id say. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

No manager will get several windows.

You do realise the current defence has only 1 player signed by Bruce.

Not sure what your point is, the current defence has one player signed by Smith, one by Bruce, one by RDM and one by.. well honestly I can't remember who signed Hutton! Surely, if we take anything from that, its that we need to give a manager time to build a coherent defence?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, vreitti said:

What world do you live in I wonder? All I see are people questioning him, on here, on twitter, on facebook... everywhere. TBH don't think I've ever seen a manager/coach being questioned this heavily, so soon into his tenure before. It's both ridiculous and embarrassing, considering what he's had to work with...

He has a squad that is more than capable of being in the top 6 of the Championship.

I think a lot of people forget how shit this league is. Yes the squad has its problems but it is still better than 90% of the squads in this league. 

We have seen what this team is capable of, just a shame Smith can’t get those performances with any consistency.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jim said:

He has a squad that is more than capable of being in the top 6 of the Championship.

I think a lot of people forget how shit this league is. Yes the squad has its problems but it is still better than 90% of the squads in this league. 

We have seen what this team is capable of, just a shame Smith can’t get those performances with any consistency.

I agree. This squad should be able to make the playoffs... at least on paper. 

It's rather difficult to win games the way we keep conceding though. This is where Bruce left us in the shit IMO. A new goalkeeper, bringing back Elphick, bringing in Mings... will surely help, but it's not an overnight fix.  

11 minutes ago, picicata said:

Not sure what your point is, the current defence has one player signed by Smith, one by Bruce, one by RDM and one by.. well honestly I can't remember who signed Hutton! Surely, if we take anything from that, its that we need to give a manager time to build a coherent defence?

Mcleish signed Hutton.

The point I was responding to was that "it will take several windows to clear the Bruce dross"  - I was just pointing our weakest area, the defence currently only has one player signed by him.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Mcleish signed Hutton.

The point I was responding to was that "it will take several windows to clear the Bruce dross"  - I was just pointing our weakest area, the defence currently only has one player signed by him.

Bruce agreed to extend his contract though. Anyways, Hutton is far from our biggest problem, even though his defending is questionable at times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Mcleish signed Hutton.

Defence is weak because Bruce neglected to sign defenders 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well we're not really losing games so we're only 1 goal off winning every game.  Hopefully Jack can help give us that one end or Mings (Tuanzebe) can stop us conceding one at the other.

I mean technically we beat Sheff Utd 3-2, so it's kind of working already 😉

49 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I love the idea that some genuinely believe Pep Guardiola himself could walk in, hit the ground running, and get Neil Taylor, Mile Jedinak and Alan bloody Hutton to play exciting expansive football. 

Yet Smith did actually do this for a few games...

As usual the reality is somewhere in the middle on VT.

Nobody should be calling for Smith's head or, to be honest, being overly critical of him at this point. It's too early.

But neither should anyone be totally, blindly oblivious to anything being wrong.

There are clearly some issues at the moment. Performances of late have been below par even despite the early stages of his tenure and the absence of Grealish. However, given his excellent start, and we're still in the early stages, he should be given the time to get things right.

Basically, it's ok to question Smith. It's not ok, imo, to want him out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yet Smith did actually do this for a few games...

With Jack Grealish and Axel Tuanzebe, two of our and the league's better players. Jack especially. How many goals were instigated or aided by him I wonder? I'm not talking about direct assists but his work with the ball, running past players and opening up space. How can we replace that in this squad? There's literally nobody.

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

It's a good question and the opposite is worth thinking about,  would Smith make Man City tick over if we swapped managers now ? 

20 hours ago, vreitti said:

What world do you live in I wonder? All I see are people questioning him, on here, on twitter, on facebook... everywhere. TBH don't think I've ever seen a manager/coach being questioned this heavily, so soon into his tenure before. It's both ridiculous and embarrassing, considering what he's had to work with...

Kinda proved my point chap 🤣

All these managers that only managed small clubs always fail here. Lambert, Bruce and now DS.

We need a big name manager like Leeds did that can handle the pressure which comes with this club. The fact that DS started Jedinak, which in no bloody way fits his style of play tells me he is scared to lose.

Edited by villalad21

Think it was Shankly who said "a football team is like a piano, you need 8 to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" well we have lost two of those that can play the damn thing in Grealish and Axel, and i would say that out of the other 8 there's only 4 man enough to do it.

Smith needs at least until Christmas before serious assessment 

Edited by baldivisvilla
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

The fans are going crazy because results aren't improving and the performances are getting worse with each passing game.

Sheffield United>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reading>>>>Ipswich.

Sheffield United have embarrassed us twice this season for 1 and 8/9ths of two games. They are where they are for a reason. They've impressed me.

For the sake of comparison to those who automatically dismiss Smith because of his previous record at smaller clubs—before managing United Wilder had spells with Alfreton Town, Halifax Town, Oxford United and Northampton Town. He did well with Northampton over three seasons. First, avoiding relegation, next a mid-table finish, and the third winning League 2. When he got United promoted, he joined them in May and had a full summer and so on to prepare.

It is too soon to be getting on the manager's back here. What's the point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Mcleish signed Hutton.

Jesus he has been here forever.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

All these managers that only managed small clubs always fail here. Lambert, Bruce and now DS.

We need a big name manager like Leeds did that can handle the pressure which comes with this club. The fact that DS started Jedinak, which in no bloody way fits his style of play tells me he is scared to lose.

You're just sad we got an equaliser. Truth is you'll always find something to justify your early hassling of the new manager. 'People who have managed smaller clubs always fail'—Gregory didn't do too bad. He did have investment though and bought too many old players. Never mind how Lambert was shafted by Lerner. I expect you'd double down even if our form picks up. If Grealish does make a difference coming back, I can already see it: 'A manager shouldn't rely on one player. Smith is lucky to have a £25million player.'

I've said it before, the point isn't that Dean Smith needs to be seen as untouchable, but that it's way too soon to judge him. With what he inherited nobody knows either way whether he's the right man, and nobody is going to know until about Octoberish this year.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 2

Â