Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mm Hutton and Taylor are worth 50p between them 

We dont have a great squad and most our players are worth **** all

Only reason overpriced is we paid stupid money for them

I give you Hutton, but Taylor being so bad, is that down to his ability or the team is playing.  Maybe it is both but there is no way he is as bad as he is showing is my point.  Other players in the same boat here as well.  Adomah was unbelievable for 2/3ds of the season last year.  He just didnt become an awful player over night.  Something else is going on and I think it is allot to do with our system (and trying to make Hourihane something he isnt)

8 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I give you Hutton, but Taylor being so bad, is that down to his ability or the team is playing.  Maybe it is both but there is no way he is as bad as he is showing is my point.  Other players in the same boat here as well.  Adomah was unbelievable for 2/3ds of the season last year.  He just didnt become an awful player over night.  Something else is going on and I think it is allot to do with our system (and trying to make Hourihane something he isnt)

Except for his 1st 5 games Taylor has been atrocious. Adomah had a little purple patch last season but has reverted back to form. Jedinak legs are gone same as Whelan and Kodjia with his injuries. Lansbury im not sure if he will ever be fit to play regularly again but wasnt special when he did play. Chester is a poor enough defender without his hand being held and Bjarnason has effort but thats it same for Elmo except the effort part

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

I'm guessing if anyone would've offered us even a million a piece for the likes of Hutton, Taylor, Hourihane, Whelan, Jedinak, Lansbury, Adomah, Elmo, Richards, Bjarnason, Gardner, etc., we'd have bitten their hands off in a heartbeat. 

Just how is he supposed to "change the system", with the players available to him? He's lucky to be able to field a semifit starting eleven ffs. Not to mention two of our best performers have also been injured for the past two months or so. 

Try 10 grand just to get them out of here, the Vauxhall conference would happily take these guys, it's what direction they are heading if they don't pull there socks up.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

PASSSHHHHUUUUUUNNNNN.

Our game against Wednesday should be exciting. ;)

Yes it should be interesting because when our players were adhering to Smith's style and winning I'd of put then against many a team for a victory. Now I'm worried unless when Tuanzebe and grealish comeback those are the missing cogs to pull the team properly back together for those victorys to come back.

Fans won't be pleased if we lose to Bruce, I am sure Smith can out play him tactics wise. Then again it's our players who are on the pitch and they especially need to make a statement against Bruce. Many players who were under Bruce on that day i hope they see theres alot at stake when they face his wednesday side.

Paying attention to some of our players recently and you soon notice how easy a fair amount lose concentration or have a lack of interest in doing it the Smith way. Some find it tough to carry out that one touch triangle football, not to mention keep it up for a full 90 mins. Hutton for example seems to isolate himself and no one comes in to try and collect the ball, that's a failure to link the defence with the midfield. I think it's as plane as day for the opposition to see because they know we are not working the system right aa of yet and know what to look out for and capitalise on.

18 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think one thing people are mainly missing is this season is absoloute crazy. some are blaming Smith, some are blaming players (that's me), but one thing that we have to see is that this season has had many crazy results. I expect more crazy results to happen yet, no one is running away with the league and no one is certain to be down and out as of yet.

I don't think the championship is as settled as it was back when wolves took control and went up. 

It's like McGrath said recently why don't our players go out and play that way for most of the game instead of having brief spells of bringing a game back from what was a certain defeat. If our players can snap a draw from the darkhorses of the league and stop sheffield utd from winning, then they can go out and win games and snatch victory straight away.

I think for a very long time we lacked that edge to drive a sword through a team and make them feel as though they have come to play against us for nothing. I feel it coming to be honest we are not losing, lost two games in fifteen. Anyone who gets on Smith's back for two losses in fifteen needs there heads seen to and I think they'd be doing it because they are so desperate for promotion, instead chill out more. I would rather us get our team right again than go up and possibly end up coming back down. I have said it before, I just don't think we would be able to play at a premiere level at this moment in time, teams from the championship were struggling against.

It's tough to pin point it all, to find out what's going wrong, then again nothing really is going wrong as of yet I don't think, If it were we would be losing. Like I said above I feel it coming, I reckon Grealish and Tuanzebe mite be the pieces to the puzzle, let's hope, if more is needed then summer is only round the corner and changes will be made.

We were unfortunate at sheff utd to not have won that game I think from either there second goal being disallowed or a possible penalty from Tyrone being bought down.

Yes that is another thing, the lousy officiating is that bad that crucial decisions are going against us. Could even say it's conspiracy like in the way that decisions often happen to the point it completely changes our game for the worst. At times our players can't seem to rise above it all and for one in a way I don't blame them because it's annoying as hell. 

2 losses in 15 is good but how many wins have there been, it's the draws that are killing us.  Where we Finished December meant that draws are worthless they are as good as a loss. I like what you did there though saying 2 losses in 15 as that makes it sound good but when you look harder it doesn't look so good.

6 hours ago, ViewFromT2 said:

This all day, every day and twice on Sundays!

Way too many fans (particularly on Twitter) are far too happy to just accept the dross being served up.....ooh he needs time, ooh they're not his players, ooh we're missing Jack.......all of the factors have an effect to some degree, but nothing excuses what is happening, we are going backwards, not improving. Something is just not right.....the chemistry isn't right. We don't even look like we're on the right path in my opinion. Can accept results (given the above excuses) if you can see improvement and a style emerging. I genuinely see no difference in our 'style' since the start of the season. Our home performance against Brentford was as good a footballing performance as anything we've seen since. 

I would challenge anyone to name a player that has improved since Dean Smith took over? What exactly does Richard O'Kelly do? What exactly does John Terry do? The longer we have between games (ie. more training sessions) the worse we tend to look.

Do we have to wait for every player in the squad to have been bought by Smith and all of them to be 100% fit for the whole season until we can expect him to get results? 

Not calling for his head but the blind faith shown is staggering....you simply cannot dare to question him.

Sorry to rant. Thoroughly and utterly pissed off with Villa!

They won't improve under any coach or manager because that's it some of them have really shown how uncoachable they truly are.

We go on a run and show some sweet one touch triangle football, looked like were improving. Then we have a game against a team and one goal shouldn't of been,  so it all goes to hell. We also lose our main man Jack which is another blow. Since all that those first teamers have shown what quality they are.

I would just like to ask why you think it is our Coach's fault more than it is the players. When a player walks out onto that field it's his job to play for his club and his fans, to take in what is being said to him and execute those plans and bring us to victory. We have an absoloute joke of a squad, who make the simplest of errors out on that pitch and fail to carry out a coaches plans.

I see Hutton doing things like running in from a flank and running across 4 opposition players before losing the ball. He was already isolated as is because no one supported him or tried to aid him and collect that ball. I see kodjia who when gets the ball, doesn't want to pass to someone else, it wouldn't bother me if he was on Tammys level but he is not. When you see Elmo, bree and Hutton often being ran around and losing sight of the ball, it makes you question are they even good enough at championship level. The only midfielders who can put in a veey good game are Grealish and Mcginn, as i said before they are a two man midfield crew, the other go missing or dont apply enough pressure. El Ghazi is not good enough on the wing, he diesnt cause no where near the problems from what we need on the flanks.

Us fans are seeing it all to regular for it not to be the players in questions and we have to many that we've collected over the year that were bought in and put together with no thought at all.

You only have to look at Mcginn and Mings he's only played two games, but they came in and play like its there last game in every game. It says something doesn't it when we've found a couple of players like Mcginn and Mings, who come in and show the rest of the players who can't seem to put in that performace how it's actually done.

Those who are saying it's an excuse to use the players who have been here for a while I'm sorry I just don't get why nobody doesn't see them as the problem. Everything else has been looked at and overhauled so why cant the squad itself be ripped apart if it's the cause of inconsistency. 

I don't think we have to wait till every player has been brought by Smith, but what if it has to come to that, it's certainly looking that way at the moment. We have collected a pile of rubbish over the years and it's about time we threw the rubbish out and remade our squad.

We will see anyway, the owners won't be sitting here like we are, I bet they already have there list of playwrs who won't be staying from the old lot. I bet they have been watching and analysing each game and seeing where the problems are and saying to Jesus, Smith and Purslow that things need to change as soon as we can. We won't even recognise our squad next season and beyond anyway. What are those who refused to blame the players for these results going to say when players who do take over there positions down the line change there tune. It's going to happen, change is inevitable, professionals are seeing who isn't pulling there weight. Those players have had there chance especially when there replacements like Mings has come in and is playing already at a higher standard than what the person who was in the role  was playing before. Tyrone Mings to hutton, bree, taylor, elmo there is a big difference and i dont mean in height or weight,  I'm talking about work rate, heart and the need to want our club to rise from the ashes. You can really see which players are here to change things and which want to go and move on becausebit hasnt worked for them over this season.

31 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

2 losses in 15 is good but how many wins have there been, it's the draws that are killing us.  Where we Finished December meant that draws are worthless they are as good as a loss. I like what you did there though saying 2 losses in 15 as that makes it sound good but when you look harder it doesn't look so good.

Really it is ok, were not in a relegation battle but for a team that is still in contention for promotion it isn't good enough.

I am sure when Smith took over that the owners stated that promotion happens if it happens, that we are not expecting it or shouldn't this season. Fans are going over crazy because were in spitting reach of a play off place, I can understand the behaviour, I would like us to go back up. I say I would like us to and when I say that I say it because I'd like us to operate properly as a football club on every level fully again before going up. I think If we were to go up that there is every chance that we wouldn't stay up with the squad we have. We need a much stronger squad, that is more consistent, more stable and plays much more smarter on and off the ball. True the fact that if we did go up we would end up with a few players who at the moment we could only dream of, we however would still have many of the old squad. 

Edited by Dave-R

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Really it is ok, were not in a relegation battle but for a team that is still in contention for promotion it isn't good enough.

I am sure when Smith took over that the owners stated that promotion happens if it happens, that we are not expecting it or shouldn't this season. Fans are going over crazy because were in spitting reach of a play off place, I can understand the behaviour, I would like us to go back up. I say I would like us to and when I say that I say it because I'd like us to operate properly as a football club on every level fully again before going up. I think If we were to go up that there is every chance that we wouldn't stay up with the squad we have. We need a much stronger squad, that is more consistent, more stable and plays much more smarter on and off the ball. True the fact that if we did go up we would end up with a few players who at the moment we could only dream of, we however would still have many of the old squad. 

The fans are going crazy because results aren't improving and the performances are getting worse with each passing game.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

The fans are going crazy because results aren't improving and the performances are getting worse with each passing game.

Yes but if those particular fans lower there expectations of wanting what is looking like an impossible success at the play offs, then those results are not so bad really.

Put the notion of premiere football out of it for a moment. You will soon see that the results since bruce left are more than acceptable for a team, that could of well been fighting for relegation, instead we have maintained a healthy position in the league.

Edited by Dave-R

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bruce was bringing us into a relegation battle. 1 win in 10 which was home vs mighty Rotherham who had chances to get a result and still persisting that Jedinak was better than Elphick or Axel 

Yep, That 2 wins in 10 we currently have, 1 of which was at home vs the mighty bottom of the table ipswich who had chances to get a result and now playing Jedinak instead of Whelan is much better....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Yes but if those particular fans lower there expectations of wanting what is looking like an impossible success at the play offs, then those results are not so bad really.

Put the notion of premiere football out of it for a moment. You will soon see that the results since bruce left are more than acceptable for a team, that could of well been fighting for relegation, instead we have maintained a healthy position in the league.

You want the fans to lower their expectations of wanting to see a team that tries to win a match.

I've heard it all now, do you really think fans should accept the last 12 games where we've had 1 win and played football worse than the season we got relegated? The answer to that question is there isn't a football fan out there that would accept that well with the exception of you it seems. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, That 2 wins in 10 we currently have, 1 of which was at home vs the mighty bottom of the table ipswich who had chances to get a result and now playing Jedinak instead of Whelan is much better....

You think Whelan can play 3 games in 8 days? 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You think Whelan can play 3 games in 8 days? 

Fri 8th - Sat 16th is 3 games in 9 days We have only played 1 midweek game this calendar year before this week and that was because it was a bank holiday on new years day. After Wednesday we will not play another until march 13th so not like everyone is knackered as we have only played 1 game a week for the past 6 weeks and will go back to the same schedule for the next 3/4 weeks

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Surely you're not suggesting we should have kept Bruce ? 

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Surely you're not suggesting we should have kept Bruce ? 

not at all, just that the current form is not really any better.

Given that people were hurling vegetables at Bruce for a similar run of results is it any wonder that some are less than convinced by what we are seeing at the moment.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

not at all, just that the current form is not really any better.

Given that people were hurling vegetables at Bruce for a similar run of results is it any wonder that some are less than convinced by what we are seeing at the moment.

It only took Bruce 2 years, 4 windows, 2 pressings, and his own roster to get to this lofty level.  Damn, Smith must be a genius !!!   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

You want the fans to lower their expectations of wanting to see a team that tries to win a match.

I've heard it all now, do you really think fans should accept the last 12 games where we've had 1 win and played football worse than the season we got relegated? The answer to that question is there isn't a football fan out there that would accept that well with the exception of you it seems. 

Firstly we are not playing football worse than the season we got relegated open your eyes. It maybe not be to the standards we would like and it should be alot better but it's not there, that was happening under bruce before Smith came in. If we was playing football worse we would be fighting a relegation battle again wouldnt we.

You took what I said about us lowering expectations and span it in your own way. I basically said if we're looking at what is an impossible approach to promotion this season, what is the point in keep on aiming for it. I don't expect Anyone to lower there expectation of us being promoted if promotion is a realistic thing. I don't think it is possible unless we dramatically improve so why keep chasing a dream this season that isn't going to happen when we can prepare for next season in other ways.

I never even said fans should lower expectations of trying to win matches either, very good on making rubbish up. I was talking in relation to if we wasn't seeing promotion there then us being in tenth place doesn't look so bad on results and it doesn't. Think of it this way if the owners are not thinking about promotion being a thing then they are not screwing over the thought of us being where we are in the slightest. In fact the owners might be thinking that the current run of results under Smith is and would of been a better run of results under Bruce so it's an improvement none the less.

Edited by Dave-R

7 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

LOL, just because four or five of you keep whinging on here, it doesnt mean the “fans are going crazy”.

Try going to a game, most sensible supporters realise the position we are in and have patience, may I suggest, they are even “supporting” their team including the manager

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

I agree, but if we were to progress as a club I think it was imperative we went away from stoneage hoofball. DS needs several transfer windows to remedy the neanderthal legacy Bruce left behind. We simply have a piss poor squad for modern football. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I agree, but if we were to progress as a club I think it was imperative we went away from stoneage hoofball. DS needs several transfer windows to remedy the neanderthal legacy Bruce left behind. We simply have a piss poor squad for modern football. 

No manager will get several windows.

You do realise the current defence has only 1 player signed by Bruce.

Â