Jump to content
Demitri_C

Dean Smith

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Top post. 

Unfortunately, there are a few clowns on here who think we have the best squad in the league and should be challenging for the title

In reality of course, we have a hugely imbalanced squad with a handful of players who shouldn’t still be playing football at this level.

Smith needs time to change this and im willing to give him it. He comes across extremely well in his interviews and I for one think he will be a success here. 

UTV.

Just as a side process issue, I’m wondering how helpful to constructive and temperate discussion it is to describe people you disagree with as “clowns”?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The squad is good enough for play off at least.

Unfortunately this clown of a manager is only used to dealing with players on the scrap heap and has no idea how to get his instructions across to decorated international footballers on big salary's.

He's a nobody going nowhere and he'll take Villa with him.

I laughed at his press conference last night when he said we played well.

We were utter utter tripe. We got back into the game by going against management instructions and going direct.

Instead of playing don't look back in anger at the final whistle the tannoy guy should have put on Slide Away.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have waited until the morning after to have time to reflect and calm down. 

Last nights game is becoming the norm. Villa Park is not the fortress we need it be. Its not cause of the fans, the fans are a reflection of whats happening on the pitch.

Villa arent a bad side. Were not really even unbalanced as the excuses were making are full of holes. Dean Smith has lost his top player but we should still compete and were not.

Last nights tactics or lack of were a duplication of the poor decisions at Wigan. We have no plan b. We dont change formation half way through a game.

Dean Smith albeit a villa fan. Time isnt going be your friend. What were seeing on the pitch is the result of the weeks coaching. Were not looking any better. Last night was a smash and grab we didnt deserve. 

 

Side note Mings was class. Even wern we were getting tonked 3 0.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merson08 said:

I have waited until the morning after to have time to reflect and calm down. 

Last nights game is becoming the norm. Villa Park is not the fortress we need it be. Its not cause of the fans, the fans are a reflection of whats happening on the pitch.

Villa arent a bad side. Were not really even unbalanced as the excuses were making are full of holes. Dean Smith has lost his top player but we should still compete and were not.

Last nights tactics or lack of were a duplication of the poor decisions at Wigan. We have no plan b. We dont change formation half way through a game.

Dean Smith albeit a villa fan. Time isnt going be your friend. What were seeing on the pitch is the result of the weeks coaching. Were not looking any better. Last night was a smash and grab we didnt deserve. 

 

Side note Mings was class. Even wern we were getting tonked 3 0.

You are correct Villa aren't a bad side and most of this league would love to have the squad we have.  The thing is Villa fans are currently divided into 2 camps,  camp 1 are big Smith fans and are totally closed to the idea that Smith can do any wrong, whilst the other camp (which i'm in)  are still on Smiths side but are open to the idea that he can get things wrong.

The problem is camp 1 were the ones that have been championing Smith for ages before he came here and were also the ones that were declaring our squad is the best in this league and that Smith would be able to do loads better with it.  But now that we are getting worse and worse they seem to have done a 180 and are declaring that our squad is rubbish in order to defends Smiths performances.

And i totally agree with your side note, Mings is class tall, strong, quick and vocal exactly the qualities you want in a defender.

Edited by Stuartc445
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To equal last seasons points tally would need 13 wins from our last 15 games - that shows how far we have slipped from last seasons points tally - the last 2 months have been really poor in the main after such a good start for smith -the failure to address the full back situation and a quality holding midfielder have left us too much to do to make the play offs in my opinion .

he will be given time but needs to get off to a decent start next season - should we be hovering in mid table come October I don’t think purslow would be quite so understanding 

Edited by Eastie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

To equal last seasons points tally would need 13 wins from our last 15 games - that shows how far we have slipped from last seasons points tally - the last 2 months have been really poor in the main after such a good start for smith -the failure to address the full back situation and a quality holding midfielder have left us too much to do to make the play offs in my opinion .

he will be given time but needs to get off to a decent start next season - should we be hovering in mid table come October I don’t think purslow would be quite so understanding 

Luckily we don't need as many points as last year in order to go up.  If we can get Jack and Axel back for most of the run in I still fancy our chances, as Smith's plan A did look decent and we have added Mings as well, which may allow Tuanzebe to go to DM or Mings can solve the left back situation.  If we are stuck in plan B Bruceball mode then we dont have a chance, because if the squad was at all suited to Bruceball then Bruce would still be manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Luckily we don't need as many points as last year in order to go up.  If we can get Jack and Axel back for most of the run in I still fancy our chances, as Smith's plan A did look decent and we have added Mings as well, which may allow Tuanzebe to go to DM or Mings can solve the left back situation.  If we are stuck in plan B Bruceball mode then we dont have a chance, because if the squad was at all suited to Bruceball then Bruce would still be manager.

I think the ship will have sailed by the time we get both back - as scores stand we would be 6 points adrift with the teams 456 placed all having games in hand . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, screwdriver said:

The squad is good enough for play off at least.

Unfortunately this clown of a manager is only used to dealing with players on the scrap heap and has no idea how to get his instructions across to decorated international footballers on big salary's.

He's a nobody going nowhere and he'll take Villa with him.

 

Are you fecking serious? Who are these decorated international footballers? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a team is able to score 3 goals in 8 mins to get a draw, I think its says more regards the initial tatics/system than it does about the players abilities.

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

If a team is able to score 3 goals in 8 mins to get a draw, I think its says more regards the initial tatics/system than it does about the players abilities.

I dunno, I think it probably says more about the opposition goalkeeper's lack of ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I dunno, I think it probably says more about the opposition goalkeeper's lack of ability. 

Why, did he suddenly become bad for 8 mins? What was he like for the other 86?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Why, did he suddenly become bad for 8 mins? What was he like for the other 86?

To be fair, he wasn't overly tested for 86 minutes. Good positioning for Hourihane's free kick but very little otherwise. For those 8 minutes we really tested him, he was dire. A better keeper and we don't get the point. 

In terms of our players, I thought we had moments of looking OK, but nothing more than fleeting moments. Whelan and Green changed the game and added more desire into the mix. If they don't start on Wednesday I'll be very surprised. 

I dunno. I watched 86 minutes of us looking like a league 2 team trying to perform a cup upset away from home. We were dire and most of that, in my opinion, was a lack of desire, pace and talent in midfield other than McGinn. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

For me he is setting the foundations for a good team.

Goalie....not sure yet

RB sorted for next season

LB to be sorted.

CD..2 fast,aggressive ,competative,comfortable on the ball defenders.....sorted

CDM.....needs to be sorted.

Competative ball playing midfielder....sorted

Footballing midfielder.......sorted

CF......sorted

2 wide players who can score and create......jurys out.

Overall I think his philosophy is becoming more noticeable and it needs more pace and energy, particularly in midfield, and better footballing FBs.

He's getting there, and you can't say it's not entertaining 

Im interested to know who these players are for next season that are sorted. 

2 CD’s - 2 best we have are on loan

Footballing midfielder - im pretty sure thats not sorted. 

CF - Our 20 goal CF is on loan so thats not sorted.

Way i see it, we have GK, RB and 1 MF sorted. Hardly a great foundation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can’t believe there are some people on here with such an anti Smith agenda.. What he’s done to deserve this level of animosity I’ll never know. The squad is ageing, unbalanced and totally unsuited to what he, and notably the board, are trying to achieve. One January window, after a summer during which we were almost bankrupted by the previous regime, isn’t enough time to do anything other than try to plug gaps.

Everyone knows that January is a difficult window to do business in and I don’t think the board were prepared to splash money on short term fixes. They are extremely ambitious, but also realistic. We finally have owners with a credible plan that are sensible enough to know that time will be needed to implement the radical changes that are essential for the future success of this club both on and off the pitch. They won’t be sentimental, Dean Smith will be given time and support to prove himself or not as the case may be, but they appointed him and won’t have done it on a whim. 

I know we live in a world of instant gratification, but that is generally only available on the internet, reality takes a little longer. Sorry to disappoint. 

weve won 1 game this year. ...and that was by a penalty against the bottom club.

I would hardly call expecting more indictive of instant gratification. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Im interested to know who these players are for next season that are sorted. 

2 CD’s - 2 best we have are on loan

Footballing midfielder - im pretty sure thats not sorted. 

CF - Our 20 goal CF is on loan so thats not sorted.

Way i see it, we have GK, RB and 1 MF sorted. Hardly a great foundation.

shhhhhhh. those excuses arent released until next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dean Smith win ratio:

Walsall: 32.31 %

Brentford: 39.86 %

Aston Villa: 36.84 %

How he were the standout choice by the board is beyond me. Nothing impressive by his managerial stats

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can’t believe there are some people on here with such an anti Smith agenda.. What he’s done to deserve this level of animosity I’ll never know. The squad is ageing, unbalanced and totally unsuited to what he, and notably the board, are trying to achieve. One January window, after a summer during which we were almost bankrupted by the previous regime, isn’t enough time to do anything other than try to plug gaps.

Everyone knows that January is a difficult window to do business in and I don’t think the board were prepared to splash money on short term fixes. They are extremely ambitious, but also realistic. We finally have owners with a credible plan that are sensible enough to know that time will be needed to implement the radical changes that are essential for the future success of this club both on and off the pitch. They won’t be sentimental, Dean Smith will be given time and support to prove himself or not as the case may be, but they appointed him and won’t have done it on a whim. 

I know we live in a world of instant gratification, but that is generally only available on the internet, reality takes a little longer. Sorry to disappoint. 

This is grossly unfair to a large fanbase. I want Dean Smith to do well, not because hes a Villa fan but because hes the Villa manager. I have zero thoughts of sentiment to the fact hes also a Villa fan. The crux of the matter is hes failing.

The reasons or excuses we give him cause everyone wants him to do well. I feel are more mythical than fact.

An unbalanced team but we have enough for all positions. If the seniors cant do it play a youth player. It just might work out and if it doesnt the villa fans will give our young kids more of a chance. It worked for Leeds and Norwich.

Losing our best player. Agree we have but the replacement isnt someone from the conference league though is it? Also WBA lost Barnes there doing ok better with him but they have championship level players to come in.

Poor ageing squad. Play the damn youth players then. 

Right now we are relegation form. Thats the tactics not the players.

Next season we have 3 teams relegated with a 70million parachute payment plus last seasons team that were relegated that will still be in the championship. 

There is no plan B. There is no tweaks to a formation mid game. The subs are all like for like. Albert Einstein definition of crazy. Are we waiting for it to click in some point month the rnext 18 months.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â