Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

While we were shit for 80 minutes, you can't attribute poor refereeing decisions to the manager and the fact the squad he's inherited is simply not good enough and well past it's sell by date.

Before that joke of a second goal was given, we were well on top and it made us lose any momentum we had.

but they were good enough to score 3 goals in 10 minutes........

Just now, holteend1982 said:

Why? 

We were 3 nil down at home, played utter crap for 82 minutes, we've won 3 in 13 matches. He's still doing a poor job. 

He's doing a crap job. Those saying he needs to be given a load of time, someone even said three seasons... why? What has Smith done to deserve that kind of leeway? What do you base your trust on him upon? Smith's CV is nothing special, and I see no improvement in 3 months after the initial bounce, we're going backwards all the time.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

So...  Now that we salvaged a point, had a stonewall penalty turned down, and have gotten screwed over by the ref for their 2nd goal, is everyone still Smith Out????  haha

I’m not Smith out. Far from it but refereeing decisions shouldn’t be affecting the outcome all that much. We shouldn’t be in a position where we have to fight back from 3-0 down. The window is over now and hopefully with a couple of important players - arguably two of our best from the first half of the season in grealish and tuanzebe to return things will settle and we will pick up more points. 

If not let’s just sit back and enjoy the 3-3s, 5-5s etc.!!

The more games we play, the less I think he's up to the job to be honest. I still stand by giving him until the end of next season mind, but I'm continually dismayed at his selection, tactics and inability to seemingly motivate this lot properly. It's a fairly poor side, yes he needs more of his own players, yes he needs a pre-season to properly build up fitness levels, but I'm not particularly impressed on the 'idea's' front, he just doesn't seem to have any, same old 4-5-1 which isn't delivering.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

He's doing a crap job. Those saying he needs to be given a load of time, someone even said three seasons... why? What has Smith done to deserve that kind of leeway? What do you base your trust on him upon? Smith's CV is nothing special, and I see no improvement in 3 months after the initial bounce, we're going backwards all the time.

I think they’ve said he needs time because we’ve been a shambles for a long time now. Very rarely anything any manager can do. He’s a manager who likes to play a good style of football has done decent work up until now with previous clubs so let’s see what he does if he’s given a bigger club with more resources. Then maybe with proper structures in place and trying to play good football this club might progress again. 

Who knows? It’s all guesswork. Sacking him might be the best way out but it wouldn’t be my choice. We then could then sack the next lad too after 7-8 games to ensure we constantly have that new manager bounce. That might be the way forward....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The more games we play, the less I think he's up to the job to be honest. I still stand by giving him until the end of next season mind, but I'm continually dismayed at his selection, tactics and inability to seemingly motivate this lot properly. It's a fairly poor side, yes he needs more of his own players, yes he needs a pre-season to properly build up fitness levels, but I'm not particularly impressed on the 'idea's' front, he just doesn't seem to have any, same old 4-5-1 which isn't delivering.

I can't see us lining up any other way unfortunately.

All our woes are because the full backs and centre midfield options at the club are abysmal.

Were practically forced into 4 - 5 - 1 because the central midfield is dire and McGinn can't carry old man Jedinak or Whelan in a 2 man midfield for 90 minutes which rules us out playing 4 - 4 - 2.

The full backs being shite mean we can't go 4 - 3 - 3 as they will be too exposed as they are shit defensively and we can't go 3 - 5 - 2 as they are shit going forward as well.

I'm convinced with some astute signings in the right areas in summer we will be far better than we are now.

I think a poor January window has condemned our playoff hopes unfortunately and this season is a write off.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

I can't see us lining up any other way unfortunately.

All our woes are because the full backs and centre midfield options at the club are abysmal.

Were practically forced into 4 - 5 - 1 because the central midfield is dire and McGinn can't carry old man Jedinak or Whelan in a 2 man midfield for 90 minutes which rules us out playing 4 - 4 - 2.

The full backs being shite mean we can't go 4 - 3 - 3 as they will be too exposed as they are shit defensively and we can't go 3 - 5 - 2 as they are shit going forward as well.

I'm convinced with some astute signings in the right areas in summer we will be far better than we are now.

I think a poor January window has condemned our playoff hopes unfortunately.

I don't really agree but fair enough. The fact is, 4-5-1 doesn't deliver without Grealish, he's paid a lot of money to find solutions, he doesn't appear to be trying anything different. Not seeing any evidence of the 'innovation' he was vaunted for at Brentford.

Why do people think our players are so bad? I have not seen a better GK, centre half (mings), centre mid (mcginn), number 10, centre forward in this league than ours. The rest are not that bad either! We should easily be top 6 and with a fair wind pushing too 2. Do people really think that Sheff U have significantly better players than us? They have Enda Stevens and Billy Sharp playing for them!!!! I would love to see the reaction on here if we had tried to sign either of them in the transfer window 😂😂😂😂

If we had the Leeds manager we would be top 2. We have been totally hamstrung by 2 inept managers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because like it or not, he was brought in to build something. This isn't a steve bruce short term gamble.

That is the plan with loaning players out I feel  no pressure and get them and others in for next year.

We are just going to ride out the season with these words removed, let them take the brunt and **** them off. We just hsve to put up with it. Smith included.

I hope there is no mistakes and we offer even.one of them a 12 monther.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Half the team is garbage though, what can he really do? It don't really matter much whatever formation he chooses, it won't make Taylor or Jedinak a better footballer. He's made the correct move in bringing back both Elphick and Green. Also Mings looks a good signing. All the other youngsters been loaned out gain valuable experience. We're missing Grealish, big time.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 2

I'm not giving him any credit for getting out of that one. Sure, he made the changes but it was just one of those mad ones where they crumbled at the back under a bit of manic pressure after the Mings goal. Got to admit it was really dreadful stuff until 82 minutes and after their third goal went in I was envisaging a 5-0 hammering. 

I hate mentioning Grealish all the time but without him the creativity going forward is painfully non existent. That we scored three goals in the last 10 minutes is just ridiculous. I didn't think we were gonna score if we played til midnight. 

If we can build on this and go to Brentford and win, the Baggies game at Villa Park will be juicy. 

16 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Because I question whether the man in charge is good enough?  Okay. 

He’s barely been in charge. 

I absoutely detest the short term nature of modern football. “Win now or you’re shit!”  

• Like 4

Â