Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Fully support the manager, he deserves the time and backing to try get us playing his style of football because in all honesty he's been left with a bunch of average to shit players. Hopefully theres a couple of signings in key areas this week.

4 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Fully support the manager, he deserves the time and backing to try get us playing his style of football because in all honesty he's been left with a bunch of average to shit players. Hopefully theres a couple of signings in key areas this week.

Average players that battered Derby and Boro away from home 3-0?

They are obviously underperforming and that is down to the manager, it's his job to get the best out of them.

It's exactly what Jose did when Man U played awful this season, playing down the team and players and look what happened when they sacked him. 

Edited by villalad21

Certainly a worrying set of recent results. We really can't write off the blow to the belief of the players that the WBA/Leeds games were. The hard work starts here. This squad should be making the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, villakram said:

Certainly a worrying set of recent results. We really can't write off the blow to the belief of the players that the WBA/Leeds games were. The hard work starts here. This squad should be making the playoffs.

I'm more worried about the performances than the results.

Yesterday looked like a manager that have lost the dressing room, i'm not saying he has, but it looked like it.

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

What has Smith done in his managerial career that suggests he will be a success here? Genuine question. His win % at his previous clubs is nothing to write home about and he hasn’t challenged for anything at either. 

Yes he plays attacking football but his teams also leak goals like a sieve.

We saw an upturn in results after he let the players off the leash but now we are seeing his tactical frailties come to the fore. For the last 4/5 games our opponents have exploited our flanks and Smith has not remedied this. I don’t believe it is because the players aren’t good enough, we have seen this season and last that they are. 

For me he is a poor mans Kevin Keegan and it seems the only thing he has going for him is outplaying Steve Bruce on a few occasions and he used to clean the bogs at Villa Park. 

I had my doubts about him and sadly they are coming to fruition. When we finish mid table in May we should move on. Pointless keeping him for the sake of stability. We will go nowhere under this manager. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The most important part of a manager's job is to motivate his players and get the best out of them.

Proper man managing, DS fails at that at the moment, there is no denying it.

You can blame the players but what are you gonna do? Sell 15 first team players because they are under performing?

Id sell the lot of them yes, they have proved over and over past few games that they can't help but rely on certain players.

ask yourself why is it that under bruce they put a performance in for a while then this season drop the ball for ages Smith comes in they start playing ace again, then all of a sudden screw it all up. They have lost there focus, lost there heads, lost there heart, basically lost anything that makes them footballers.

If two managers can't get them playing a third, fourth and fifth isn't going to, yes it's there fault no one else is playing for us apart from them.

They are proving themselves to be that of a league 2 or even league 3 side, no where near premiere standard and at this rate the championship is to good for them.

If Grealish comes back along with Tuanzebe and the wins pick back up then it shows that its the players.

It's not rocket science to see we go rid of xia, Wyness and co, bruce, for obvious reasons a fresh start. From the top down has been thrown out of villa and ritely so. For villa to move truly on from the past couple of decades  we should not stop there, the players need to go to, the lot of them if need be apart from a few noticeable ones.

I can say it anyway, I bet Smith, Purslow and Jesus are already in talks with who's being replaced as soon as possible, it's just a shame we can't replace them all straight away.

5 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

There is no conspiracy. It's maths. We lost our best player (and Tuanzebe afterwards). From that moment on we have looked nothing as good. It is literally maths. We cannot replace a £25 million player with Glen Whealan or BB. 

Jack is a big miss, but my suspicion is if he came back now...we would still struggle....such is the confidence drain.

We have too many players off form at the same time or too many not good enough and have allowed themselves to get into this mess.

58 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

https://goo.gl/images/3yhxFH

What about the above formation 3-6-1 with wingbacks. Sufficient cover for the back 3 and a dominant midfield at all times whether its attacking or defending I feel our game is falling to bits because our defence and midfield are failing to link properly.

Who would your wingbacks be in that formation?

I'm assuming the middle four would be Hourihane and McGinn in front of Bjarnason and Whelan.

Screenshot 2019-01-13 at 00.29.10.png

13 minutes ago, jim said:

What has Smith done in his managerial career that suggests he will be a success here? Genuine question. His win % at his previous clubs is nothing to write home about and he hasn’t challenged for anything at either. 

We saw an upturn in results after he let the players off the leash but now we are seeing his tactical frailties come to the fore. For the last 4/5 games our opponents have exploited our flanks and Smith has not remedied this. I don’t believe it is because the players aren’t good enough, we have seen this season and last that they are. 

For me he is a poor mans Kevin Keegan and it seems the only thing he has going for him is outplaying Steve Bruce on a few occasions and he used to clean the bogs at Villa Park. 

I had my doubts about him and sadly they are coming to fruition. When we finish mid table in May we should move on. Pointless keeping him for the sake of stability. We will go nowhere under this manager. 

Jim ....its the players not doing it, (its not tactics) we all have out theories why....but they are simply not doing it...too many poor performances bringing the rest down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jim said:

If I was a pub team manager facing a side containing Alan Hutton, Elmohamady and Neil Taylor I'd set my team up to exploit the flanks. 

And if was I a football genius with those prats in my side I doubt I'd be able to remedy it. 

They are not anywhere near good enough, when exactly have they shown this season that they are?

I feel for him - our midfield can't cope either as a two or a three - but he can't add additional bodies, because none of the bodies we have are good enough. 

It's catch 22 if you try to play as many of your best players as you can, you end up with a dreadful hole in the middle of the park; if you try to fill that hole in the middle of the park, you end up with a team of players that isn't good enough.

17 minutes ago, jim said:

Oh come on that is unfair to point it directly at Smith, this team was fractured before Smith came in from bruce. The only real blame I see is that its the players fault, Smith turned them around but yet again they have gone the opposite direction.

As I said in my last message, why should players be exempt from being tossed out this club. The owners have pretty much set fire to every other person of the old regime, i think some people love these players that much that they cant ever see the fault laying with them.

Sell them off and bring players in who really want to play football, who think about collecting wages last. were seeing so many sides in this championship tear us a new one that we looking at championship sides now and seeing them as the model We want to be, that tells me that we are lost and if not careful we will be playing football in this championship for a decade or two. We can't be relying on a few players to do a full teams work, not to mention we should be going after expensive players anymore.

If I was in the league down and I seen how villa were playing then I seen that we put many of our players up for sale, I would not want these lot coming to my club, that is how bad I see alot of our players and how they play.

I bet Tammy is regretting his choice in staying here, I bet Tuanzebe is thinking hurry up injury and bet Grealish is banging is head against a wall. The only player who stand out regular who is fit is Mcginn.

Our players are not playing like they were when we were all seeing and saying we notice the difference in such a short time under Smith.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

The problem as I see it, is we started off at a high level with Smith, like as soon as he was hired he turned it around and got the team firing. Now, if we started slow and saw very slow if any improvement, you could then say fairly the players are shite and we need a clear out. The fact that we have been winning games and scoring goals like they have gone out of fashion (15 in our first 4 I think it was) and then digress back into the team when Bruce managed us, is very concerning.

He looked under pressure in his interview today, pressures on, an I'm not sure at the moment he has the answers.

Spot on. 

You can't say the personnel is wrong as the players showed their potential in the first 8 games under smith.

For me, it is most likely one of two things - either the players are burnt out or they are no longer buying into DS's methods. There is a 3rd possible reason, but it is utterly ludicrous... Grealish is actually better then Messi and we can't function at all as a team without him. It would be a sorry state of affairs that we are a one man team. I hope it is burn out as the other two prospects are extremely concerning. 

• Like 1

Lot is said about us not losing many games , but not so much that we are not winning.It's one win in 7 now and but for a late pen save that would have been a draw. Whilst I think some players are not performing I think lack of confidence is creeping in also.The defence has been poor all season but we seem to change it every game at moment so its no wonder it looks so out of sorts ( however in general some just are not good enough - Elmo and Taylor) 

MF without Jack is hopeless , no matter what combo we use of whats available we still look poor fundamentally there is not enough pace or strength in the middle .If we have some players good enough on the ball we might be able to overcome that but we don't.

The one area of the team working is Tammy but teams are doing a number on the midfield and he is getting more and more isolated.

Another issue is we clearly don't have any one in the under 23s who can come into the side so once again we are back to going into the market to buy/loan players to an already large squad

The subs today worry me with Smith , his reasoning he is wanted to get us on the ball and in terms of Hause he felt a natural left footer would help us bring ball out of defence better I just can't understand that. Against a midfield closing us down , Whelan was never going to turn that around and Hause has not played in months and my god was that obvious he was miles off the pace.With Davies on Bench and Tammy on the pitch with 2 wingers IMO we had to try and go a bit more direct just to change things up . even moving Tammy slighty wider with Davies coming on central would have given them more to think about.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Who would your wingbacks be in that formation?

I'm assuming the middle four would be Hourihane and McGinn in front of Bjarnason and Whelan.

Screenshot 2019-01-13 at 00.29.10.png

That's the question isn't it who would be the wing backs, Tuanzebe if fit could be one, possibly Hause as he is sposed to be fast, can play on the left side as that is what would be needed rite??

Could bring Green back as he plays on the wing. See if we can pull a few teams apart by making them think well is he playing an attacking winger or a defensive winger, have him mix it up throughout the match. I think the wings need to be mixed up abit more as they are played in a game, the same runs and the opposition gets used to it.

Do we have any U23 WBs??

If we're to play it out from the back we have wing backs to link the defence to the midfield. If we're caught off guard lose possession I think counterattacks could be killed off quicker. Would be much harder for the opposition to work the flanks all while our defenders could tighten up in the center, we may see these goals stop, the leak dry up and in turn our attack start flowing properly because we can dominate our half and there half more.

Whoever the wing backs are they have to be prepared to run an awful lot, we need Mcginn type physicality players with lots of pace as they be up and down those sides all game. We would probably have to buy some unless we have U23s who we can place and even then would probably need to buy two as our actual wingers Bolasie and ghazi will no doubt be leaving this season and.

The crazy thing with that formation is I believe it can easily be mistaken for a 5-4-1 as well depending where the wing backs are. The whole formation is heavy on dominating defensively and heavy on keeping possession which  cause alot of problems as we would  have two defensive midfielder and two attacking midfielders.

Edited by Dave-R

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Spot on. 

You can't say the personnel is wrong as the players showed their potential in the first 8 games under smith.

For me, it is most likely one of two things - either the players are burnt out or they are no longer buying into DS's methods. There is a 3rd possible reason, but it is utterly ludicrous... Grealish is actually better then Messi and we can't function at all as a team without him. It would be a sorry state of affairs that we are a one man team. I hope it is burn out as the other two prospects are extremely concerning. 

It's Grealish and Tuanzebe ..the former can run with the ball and create space for others this we are missing this , the latter was good at bringing ball out of defence which supplemented midfield and allowed them to move further up and press.Not sure they are burnt out I think its more they are losing confidence by the game and getting more and more hesitant on the ball

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, av1 said:

If I was a pub team manager facing a side containing Alan Hutton, Elmohamady and Neil Taylor I'd set my team up to exploit the flanks. 

And if was I a football genius with those prats in my side I doubt I'd be able to remedy it. 

They are not anywhere near good enough, when exactly have they shown this season that they are?

& yet strangely when hutton & elmo were playing we were not getting beat 3-0 every week and were also scoring goals. Since Bree & Taylor have replaced them we are absolutely shit, Neither of them can defend and we have lost all of the forward attacking threat that elmo & hutton offer

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothing's stopping you.

Sadly that isn’t true. You support who you support and you can’t change that as it’s “in your blood”. I’m not sure I even enjoy it anymore though. Nothing good ever seems to happen to this club. 

9 hours ago, Eastie said:

Maybe the players don’t respect him ? Maybe they look as his achievements as a player and just don’t listen to him ?

His assistant is John Terry one of most respected players in English football

Â