Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They are also both German managers that came to a different country from a different league, I would expect them to need nearly two years to get to grips.

Dean Smith is an Aston Villa fan and should know this club through and through and knows this league very well having been in it years already now, So no, there is no premature anything in my book.

He needs to turn this around very quickly indeed.

Absolute nonsense.

You're saying a German manager gets a two year window to change a football club, Dean Smith gets no time at all because he was once an Aston Villa fan. The fact he knows this league is meaningless if he doesn't have the players he needs to suit his style of football.

We don't just automatically get instant success because we are Aston Villa. We are an average Championship team who have wasted a lot of money on some very average football players on high wages.

• Like 4

I think people forget that teams in this league are not **** .. We have come down because of all sorts and the Fan base is still expecting alot, more than what is manageable.

Someone said it on here the other day, eventually wigan would have to win and hope it wasn't against us, well it was and they out played us as well.

Look how close this season is, the gaps in points are not massive, not like last season and you have pundits, managers and ex managers and players calling this championship season one of the craziest.

The team are adapting in this league constantly, they are doing it to find a winning formulae to enter the promise land. They have come along way in this league the clubs have, learnt to play without miraculous amounts of money, used to out playing money rich teams with a team that cost a fraction of theirs.

I wouldn't say anyone of the team in this league are crap, just play differently and at anytime as has happened tonight a can of whoopass has been opened.

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They are also both German managers that came to a different country from a different league, I would expect them to need nearly two years to get to grips.

Dean Smith is an Aston Villa fan and should know this club through and through and knows this league very well having been in it years already now, So no, there is no premature anything in my book.

He needs to turn this around very quickly indeed.

I don’t think nationality has anything to do with it. You could argue that Smith has come from clubs with an entirely different, smaller mentality so that takes time to get to grips with.

Do you know the club through and through? I’m a fan and I certainly don’t. So why would Smith?

Im not saying he hasn’t made mistakes and that he can’t be criticisised. He has and rightly can. But sacking now or even soon, is premature and not a way to run the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

He's got to be given time to rebuild.

We can't just keep jumping from manager to manager. Building a team here to suit a style, sack the manager then start a new rebuild to suit a new style here.

This club is so broken, yet our fans keep demanding we go out and win every game with Barcelona style football. 

Sorry but if DS gets many more results like today - there will be no option but to 'jump to a new manager' 

I don't think anyone is actually demanding Barcelona type football....a scruffy 1-0 or 2-0 win v hull would appease most !

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Sorry but if DS gets many more results like today - there will be no option but to 'jump to a new manager' 

I don't think anyone is actually demanding Barcelona type football....a scruffy 1-0 or 2-0 win v hull would appease most !

You can't sack a manager at the start of a rebuilding project for a few poor results. The players were largely to blame today, along with the poor squad inherited from Bruce. The midfield was absolute garbage and we only had Whelan available to bring on.

If you sat in the Holte End over Christmas you would realise that some of our fans are deluded in where the football club are at this stage. They moan and groan when we knock the ball around at the back, they complain when we go sideways to retain possession. Our fanbase is demanding for more than we can currently give them at the moment. Understandably we aren't been given a lot to cheer about but there has to be a realisation of where we are at right now.

I watched Leeds on Friday night and they are a million miles away from where we are currently at.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Perhaps  it might be worth having two up to in a 352. It certainly isn't working with the current setup. 

while we are trying to keep the wheels on , not a bad shout.

against Hull the form team of the division, we need something, Bowen is on fire.

probably a bricklayer in goal

Edited by TRO

The problem as I see it, is we started off at a high level with Smith, like as soon as he was hired he turned it around and got the team firing. Now, if we started slow and saw very slow if any improvement, you could then say fairly the players are shite and we need a clear out. The fact that we have been winning games and scoring goals like they have gone out of fashion (15 in our first 4 I think it was) and then digress back into the team when Bruce managed us, is very concerning.

He looked under pressure in his interview today, pressures on, an I'm not sure at the moment he has the answers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I think Axel too, has been a bigger miss than we think.

both had presence and a will to win too.

I said this about the lad from last season.

He has been a subconcious asset so far and him being out is definitely a blow to us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

You can't sack a manager at the start of a rebuilding project for a few poor results. The players were largely to blame today, along with the poor squad inherited from Bruce. The midfield was absolute garbage and we only had Whelan available to bring on.

If you sat in the Holte End over Christmas you would realise that some of our fans are deluded in where the football club are at this stage. They moan and groan when we knock the ball around at the back, they complain when we go sideways to retain possession. Our fanbase is demanding for more than we can currently give them at the moment. Understandably we aren't been given a lot to cheer about but there has to be a realisation of where we are at right now.

I watched Leeds on Friday night and they are a million miles away from where we are currently at.

If we dont win games fans will moan and managers will get sacked. Not just villa thats anywhere.

a rebuilding project is like a silk collar as protection from a guillotine.

https://goo.gl/images/3yhxFH

What about the above formation 3-6-1 with wingbacks. Sufficient cover for the back 3 and a dominant midfield at all times whether its attacking or defending I feel our game is falling to bits because our defence and midfield are failing to link properly.

I give up tonight.

I thought the split in the fan base had healed after the Bruce debacle. Four months later and we are split again.

It's not going to happen overnight, and Smith needs time to sort out the mess he has inherited. Another manager isn't going to be able to fix this without at least two transfer windows under his belt.

I'm as disappointed in today as anyone but in Smith I think we have the right man for the job. His players have let him down massively today.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd rather take that and be a mid table pl side than to rot here in all eternity.

Id rather take a Villa side that learnt to play this league properly first, we go to the premiere like this were coming straight back to a laughing stock.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Id rather take a Villa side that learnt to play this league properly first, we go to the premiere like this were coming straight back to a laughing stock.

Agree on the first point - but there is no chance of us being in the PL next season.

...we might well be the laughing stock of the championship soon.

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I give up tonight.

I thought the split in the fan base had healed after the Bruce debacle. Four months later and we are split again.

It's not going to happen overnight, and Smith needs time to sort out the mess he has inherited. Another manager isn't going to be able to fix this without at least two transfer windows under his belt.

I'm as disappointed in today as anyone but in Smith I think we have the right man for the job. His players have let him down massively today.

Damn rite, until the majority of this squad is changed then the players have to be held accountable. They are playing on the field not Smith if there one touch is to slow, if theh cant keep posession, give the ball away, hoof or goof it, pass accuracy is pants and much more then i dont see how Smith is to blame and its annoying that certain people think that.

Smith may be to blame for the subs, but remember it's he and the other coaches who have set a game plan that as of late is not being followed. I would drop any of those first steamers who isn't following the plan and make an example of them by bringing the youth in.

I'd put a bet that the u23 team at this rate couldn't do any worse.

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Damn rite, until the majority of this squad is changed then the players have to be held accountable. They are playing on the field not Smith if there one touch is to slow, if theh cant keep posession, give the ball away, hoof or goof it, pass accuracy is pants and much more then i dont see how Smith is to blame and its annoying that certain people think that.

Smith may be to blame for the subs, but remember it's he and the other coaches who have set a game plan that as of late is not being followed. I would drop any of those first steamers who isn't following the plan and make an example of them by bringing the youth in.

I'd put a bet that the u23 team at this rate couldn't do any worse.

Smith coaches the players, decides the tactics and picks the team. 

Fair or not he is accountable for results. 

The most important part of a manager's job is to motivate his players and get the best out of them.

Proper man managing, DS fails at that at the moment, there is no denying it.

You can blame the players but what are you gonna do? Sell 15 first team players because they are under performing?

Edited by villalad21

Â