Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

And how long were they in the championship?  You mean keep changing until we stumble on the right blend.

Again, you have been against Smith since the start so I feel your view is prejudiced

what I meant was leeds changed manager mid season. it didnt work so they swiftly got rid. ....thats what happened.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are right.

Good players....but good players without the ball are questionable.

We have to go back to basics, and tighten up.... they are too much of a luxury right now as much as I like both.

It seems this has been being said for soooo long now though.

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Maybe the players don’t respect him ? Maybe they look as his achievements as a player and just don’t listen to him ?

I wonder DS is teaching JT how to organise a defence.......

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Terry, Johnstone, Snodgrass...all strong Characters and in charge of their own game.

Agreed and you can add Jedinak (who was solid as a defensive midfielder and useful for set pieces) and Grabban as a regular goalscorer to the list above.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

The bollocking was given at HT ...when were 2-0 up. 

and the pitch craft was poo...that why we were heading for a defeat and we got exactly that.

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

It seems this has been being said for soooo long now though.

but not acted upon.

so we have to keep saying it.....until the penny drops.

Edited by TRO

Smith had us playing some great football. The best I’ve seen us play for years. I’m at a loss how bad we are at the moment. This has been going on for the last how many games now? We seem to be getting worse. I still believe on paper our attacking line up is play off material. It’s just the keeper and defence where we are so weak. The problem is, we look blunt as **** going forward at the moment, which is a massive problem, as we can’t defend for shit. I’m getting vibes off here, that people are already starting to question Dean Smith. The bloke needs time, but I will admit, I can’t get my head around why we are so bad at the moment. One thing I will say is that, if he don’t get a hold of things here, this job will chew him up and spit him out. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

DS deserves a pre season, but at the same time if he keep making subs like he did today it's hard for me to get behind him.

I never understand this preseaon nonsense that gets trotted out to excuse players and managers. What do people think happens in pre season that can't be done at any other time of the year???

Serious questions for Smith now and he needs to find an answer. He can't rely on grealish to carry the team. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

Lack of effort in football is the ultimate sin and it should be rooted out....when you say it isn't just down to personnel, I think a huge part of it is.

I don't profess to know the answer to our woes, but the dramatic shift in performances and results is worrying.

I agree a lack of effort is unforgivable and regardless of ability or the managers tactics a lack of effort is always on the player.

Would us putting more of a shift in today have got us a result though I am not so sure as our issues run deeper than that. Whilst since the WBA we no longer show the same intensity, no longer press as high up the pitch, no longer close teams down which can all be in some way be put down to putting a shift in when in possession we are failing to look after the ball, look clueless and often slow and pondered playing the ball side ways and backwards. We are also leaving gaping holes in wide areas, our fullbacks playing way too narrow and a lack of tracking back from our wide midfielders.

This day and night in terms of our performances started the second we lost Grealish and whilst it all can't be put down to his loss I think he is a big reason. He sets the whole tempo of the way we play. Him being in the team means the opposition sit deeper as they are wary of what he can do, when he has the ball he attracts two players and when he picks up the ball deep he will drive forward with it and everybody feeds of him and his movement. He basically makes us tick and it is not until he isn't in the team that you realise how much he does.

The money we have spent though and in fairness the players we have relative to a lot of the teams we face at this level should mean we are able to cope without him but we are failing miserably. We have to ensure going into next season we aren't as reliant as we have been the last two seasons on two or three players performing otherwise the whole thing crumbles. Last season it was Jack, John Terry and maybe Snodgrass. This season it is Jack and Tammy. 

• Like 1

My worry about Smith was always that he wouldn’t be up to the job. (Not sure who is though.) 

I was very impressed with his early results, especially the Middlesbrough game and convinced myself I was completely wrong.

However it’s now looking a lot more dicey for him. I’m now learning that he needs time, needs a preseason and needs to buy his own players. We hear this about every new manager and they all seem to fail in the end. 

What I’m seeing is him losing influence over the way his team plays. He needs to get that back quickly because a manager who can’t affect the way his squad is playing is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I was very impressed with his early results, especially the Middlesbrough game and convinced myself I was completely wrong.

Yea the honeymoon period was a great time, but we're back home and back to work now, it's time he shows what he is made of as a coach.

It's very common to have that new manager effect but it wears out eventually.

At the moment DS is ticking every wrong box to me.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Smith has now been hit hard by the instant change in fortunes when he took over. We went from playing desperately abject football under Bruce to bossing games with energetic, high pressing, possession based football. It's now becoming clear that it was a new manager bounce as well as the overhaul in tactics that helped produce those perfomance's. Tuanzebe and Grealish obviously helped immensely.

We've now fallen back into the performances we were being subjected to under Bruce and suddenly people are getting on Smith's back. We have to remember this is still Bruce's squad, a depleted squad from last season. We have some very good players, but they are mixed in with some past it players, some individually good players, and some very average/poor players. Unfortunately we have more of the latter than the former.

We have to get behind Smith and give him the chance to implement his style of football and bring in the players to help him do this. It's not going to happen overnight and it most likely won't happen this season. Promotion was an outside chance this season, and whilst it's disappointing that we will lose players like Grealish and Abraham, the long term goal of Aston Villa rebuilt and playing football to be proud of is the overall goal. 

I don't remember us ever bossing any games. We just scored more goals than the other team.

At the end of the day we have no other option than to back Smith and hope that it works, but it looks like this will take 2 seasons at least.

If it doesn't and he leaves I fail to see how Villa will look that attractive to any other  manager given that the parachute payments will be gone and the fact that even a promising young local manager could not  turn it around.

Â