Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

did the yellow, for JJ affect him?...did Dean see another yellow as a danger sign?

I don’t know as he got it very early. Perhaps Dean felt if he was going to take one out of the midfield to opt for the least experienced of the 3? 

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The reports on Football Insider and other clickbait rags make little sense. Saying he's under great pressure after 4 games is daft.

I think he has a lot of grace built up with the owners and he is well-liked and trusted. It would take a minimum of half a season of consistent struggle for him to come under the kind of pressure being speculated on in those reports.

FWIW I like Dean a lot and think he's probably the right man for us currently. I think he has his limitations but there isn't a laundry list of better managers who would want the job and who could come in straight away and improve us.

We all like Dean, but he will tell you himself its all about results.

So far, we have had one bad game and we all know which one it was....but we have to pick up wins too.

I think its far too early to be even talking about the managers position.....In terms of his standing at BMH, i have no idea, as I am not privvy to his workings.

However, I will say this.....I equally hope, we have moved away from the notion of waiting too long for the wheels to drop off, before we act, because that has caused us no end of problems in the past.....but its not worthy of concern in the current climate.

Right Now, Deans departure, is too far from my thoughts to be worthy of debate....He knows what he has to do, win a few games, and he will....and we will be back on track.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I don’t know as he got it very early. Perhaps Dean felt if he was going to take one out of the midfield to opt for the least experienced of the 3? 

I thought he had a smashing game.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Right Now, Deans departure, is too far from my thoughts to be worthy of debate....He knows what he has to do, win a few games, and he will....and we will be back on track.

I follow a few high stakes betting groups (I don't have the finances to compete). Few are considering lumping quite a sizeable amount of money on DS to be next out the door.

Next 6 games are tough.

Everton, Ronaldo FC, Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal, West Ham.

Let's say we only pick up 3 points from those 6 games (which is entirely plausible). 

10 Games in with 7 points, probably be in or near the relegation zone. As much as I hate it, I could see it happening.

3 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I follow a few high stakes betting groups (I don't have the finances to compete). Few are considering lumping quite a sizeable amount of money on DS to be next out the door.

Next 6 games are tough.

Let's say we only pick up 3 points from those 6 games (which is entirely plausible). 

10 Games in with 7 points, probably be in or near the relegation zone. As much as I hate it, I could see it happening.

This league will always be tough, listing all the teams, like that, can make it more daunting than it is.

We have to deal with each game as it comes.....and every one is winnable with a first eleven.

• Like 1

I think the owners are looking for a return on their huge investment.

You look at Rafa at Everton for example.

Inherited a mediocre squad, signed a few players on freebies and already sitting 4th in the table.

Dean Smith has had 3 seasons.. 100's of millions to spend and has to get a  European place sealed this season.

Deano does need to start cracking the whip before the owners do.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Inherited a mediocre squad, signed a few players on freebies and already sitting 4th in the table.

Dean Smith has had 3 seasons.. 100's of millions to spend and has to get a  European place sealed this season.

The table is a foetus and it depends on what games have been played.....Our first game was a duffer, but we can't keep harping on about that.

I think we have improved game on game despite the results.......its too early to even be debating the managers position, based on results.

I have every confidence these owners will act with calm and composure, to any situation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Not really worth discussing due to the source. There is not many people I could name realistically to come in and replace the job Smith is doing. I’ve been critical of him in the past but now isn’t the time to be change for change sake. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Next 6 games are tough.

There're no easy games in this league, they are all tough.

Last season Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea ,Spurs, Leeds, Everton, Leicester.....all fell to the Villa, on an occasion, when maybe we were fancied to lose.

I think the top 4 are very formidable, no doubt about that.....all the rest, we can beat.....We have to have a first 11, and be up for it and we can beat anyone.

just remember, they can only play 11 at any one time......" if you think you can, you can...if you think you can't, you can't"......We took 4 points off the European champions last season.....If we apply ourselves right, its untold, what we can achieve...We have to believe in oursleves.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

When you weigh it all up he HAS to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Next 6 games are tough.

I don't... Look at our games so far this season.

• Watford - Key members of the team weren't fit yet and they smashed us on the counter attack.
  • Newcastle - Players were still not fit and we didn't play well, but still beat Bruceball handedly.
  • Brentford - Were missing more key players to injury and COVID protocol and had to play Ashley Young as a central midfielder.  A huge trap game, and we got a vital point.
  • Chelsea - We were missing the best GK in the world right now and our record signing creative midfielder.  We still managed to take the game to them in the first half, their goalkeeper played a blinder, while we had a Championship keeper in our net.  The gulf in quality was evident, as Lukaku scored with both of his shots.  

We'll have a full strength and fully fit squad for the first time this season for the Everton match.  I can see us beating every one of those teams in our next 6 matches on the right day, but a haul of 9-12 points is not out of the question. 

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Not really worth discussing due to the source. There is not many people I could name realistically to come in and replace the job Smith is doing. I’ve been critical of him in the past but now isn’t the time to be change for change sake. 

Thankfully for us, we are a very well run club now and we do not have to worry about the right thing being done anymore.

I trust them to let Deano do his job, if it starts flattening out then we should only bring in a considerable upgrade. No more sideways or desperate moves from these guys.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Next 6 games are tough.

Watford Manager will be out the door soon, get them on that 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Everton's wage bill is 50% larger than ours. They have outspent us last 5 seasons by some £30 million. Finished above us every year since our promotion yet they have the mediocre squad?  What does that make ours then?  

Just compare the squad ages. Everton have the 6th oldest per transfermarket. Villa have the 4th youngest. I believe the owners know we are building something after a decade of mismanagement. Hopefully they are a but more rational than some on here. 

• Like 4

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not so much the squad - more about the manager that's getting a tune out of that squad.

So...  You're saying Deano needs to get us to Europe this season or be sacked, with a squad that has cost a lot less to build and are on significantly less wages than Everton, who couldn't even do that last season when they had a world class manager?

• Like 3

Â