Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

He has not really achieved  anything other than promotion through play offs and mid table in pl with an open wallet. 

What credit do you expect him to get?We should celebrate mediocrity? 

How does he compare to Uncle Bielsa?

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

He has not really achieved  anything other than promotion through play offs and mid table in pl with an open wallet. 

What credit do you expect him to get?We should celebrate mediocrity? 

Jesus....open wallet ? we had 10 players left after loans and contracts ended so he had to buy in at an average of 10 m a player before then securing a comfortable finish the season after and bringing in the likes of Martinez and Watkins who will have both pretty much double in value

Bielsa spent 100m last summer, people seem to just pass that one by

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Jesus....open wallet ? we had 10 players left after loans and contracts ended so he had to buy in at an average of 10 m a player before then securing a comfortable finish the season after and bringing in the likes of Martinez and Watkins who will have both pretty much double in value

100m on a new bucket to take a dump on by the side of the pitch seems a bit steep

1 hour ago, cb_82 said:

You expect the media to have a hard on for Smith for finishing mid table? 

I'm confused. 

If there is any British managers who deserves more recognition for their work it's David moyes and Brendan Rodgers 

Edited by villalad21

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I know there was a comical edge to your post, but you raise an interesting point. I don't think Smith gets half the credit he deserves. I don't mean from us Villa fans, but from the wider media. 

If he was called Dieter Schmidt and he had joined Villa from a club in the 2.Bundesliga, he'd be feted by the media as a genius and the new Klopp or Tuchel. The fact he is English means he gets a lot less credit IMO 

The fact he's spent 300m gets him a lot less credit.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You expect the media to have a hard on for Smith for finishing mid table? 

I'm confused. 

If there is any British managers who deserves more recognition for their work it's David moyes and Brendan Rodgers 

highest ranking English manager last season, people rave about Potter and Howe and didnt finish near Smith. Howe didnt even have a job

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The fact he's spent 300m gets him a lot less credit.

So Pep gets no credit for what he did at man city? 

Do all clubs that spend money do well? Didn't work out for Fulham. Sheff U got worse the more they spent. 

Arsenal have spent a fortune to do **** all.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do all clubs that spend money do well? Didn't work out for Fulham. Sheff U got worse the more they spent. 

yep the only team in all of football that gets any credit is Athletic Bilbao, everybody else are nothing

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's not personal opinion,  it's what the media are seeing.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

on 25 players, whats that a player?

A cool 12m per player.

I understand opposition fans glossing this over, but we spent almost half of that 300m in our first season up having to replace our promotion winning squad and we had to do it on the cheap with players like Trez/Nakamba/Guilbert etc. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

A cool 12m per player.

I understand opposition fans glossing this over, but we spent almost half of that 300m in our first season up having to replace our promotion winning squad and we had to do it on the cheap with players like Trez/Nakamba/Guilbert etc. 

I do like how its gone up to 300 million as the stick to beat him with, 2 seasons back was we spent 100 million and in a relegation battle because we should have kept Whelan, Hutton, Adomah etc

• Haha 1

Just now, Zatman said:

I do like how its gone up to 300 million as the stick to beat him with, 2 seasons back was we spent 100 million and in a relegation battle because we should have kept Whelan, Hutton, Adomah etc

That argument kept getting more and more ridiculous as the players we let go started retiring 1 after the other :lol: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

12m a player which is nothing we didn’t have a squad when we came up he’s performed miracles tbf

Now I wouldn’t say he’s performed miracles but he has done a good job, good enough that he should have a bigger backing from our supporters than he currently has. He is still learning as a manager, it cannot be forgotten that this is the highest level that he has managed at.

We have moved forward under him every season, the problem is we have not moved forward enough in the eyes of some. Having lost JG he is facing his biggest challenge so far in continuing to take us forward despite losing our best player, we’ve got to wait and see if he can.

• Like 2

Â