Jump to content

Dean Smith


Demitri_C
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I am not slagging Dean off BUT i do have a question. Do you think that another manager might be far more vocal in pressurising the board to bring more players in . Dean says he is happy with the balance of the squad but is that a weakness of his ?  Does his lower league experience and lack of experience fighting at the top of the premier league for European places mean that he is always more likely to bow to the board rather than challenge them . Other managers know exactly what is needed whereas Dean doesnt ?  Which is why he thinks we are 18 months behind a schedule that would have meant we could have kept Mike Lubb ? 

 

Jurgen Klopp hasnt called out his board and they **** him over in the last 2 seasons 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mainly, yes. 

But also because of a poor midfield. 

Understand the Grealish part but the midfield is unchanged, other than losing Barkley who by all accounts wasn't great.

If you take into account his injuries, I hope the strengthening of the forward line can replace the Grealish impact.

I'm not seeing strong sides below us some remain optimistic for at least 11th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Understand the Grealish part but the midfield is unchanged, other than losing Barkley who by all accounts wasn't great.

If you take into account his injuries, I hope the strengthening of the forward line can replace the Grealish impact.

I'm not seeing strong sides below us some remain optimistic for at least 11th.

I've said this a few times. Everyone hated Barkley and he's the only change to the midfield. We'll have Sanson for the whole season (if fit) and Chuk coming into the first team. Luiz is also a year older and should keep progressing. 

Our midfield is better than last year. 

I'm also convinced the work rate of Buendia, pace of Bailey and intelligence of Ings will also help out. 

Edited by DCJonah
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I've said this a few times. Everyone hated Barkley and he's the only change to the midfield. We'll have Sanson for the whole season (if fit) and Chuk coming into the first team. Luiz is also a year older and should keep progressing. 

Our midfield is better than last year. 

I'm also convinced the work rate of Buendia, pace of Bailey and intelligence of Ings will also help out. 

I don't think it's enough for Europe but we've added:

Cover at full back, Cover at centre half, increase competition for Watkins, improvement on Traore, improvement on AEG.

Chuck in Ramsey being a year older and Sanson part of the squad. That all indicates to me a year on year improvement.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't think it's enough for Europe but we've added:

Cover at full back, Cover at centre half, increase competition for Watkins, improvement on Traore, improvement on AEG.

Chuck in Ramsey being a year older and Sanson part of the squad. That all indicates to me a year on year improvement.

 

 

 

Don't forget to include losing our best player for decades! We haven't really improved on AEG when he's started the last three games. He couldn't even get into the squad for the first few months of last season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Don't forget to include losing our best player for decades! We haven't really improved on AEG when he's started the last three games. He couldn't even get into the squad for the first few months of last season.

So we just ignore that players are out injured ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
27 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Don't forget to include losing our best player for decades! We haven't really improved on AEG when he's started the last three games. He couldn't even get into the squad for the first few months of last season.

Watkins, Bailey, Traore, JPB is youngster finding his feet - 4 players who will probably be ahead of AEG once the season progresses. 3 have been unavailable due to fitness and JPB as I've said is a youngster.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So we just ignore that players are out injured ?

No we should be starting these injured players. Im disappointed Trezeguet didnt continue playing after his injury

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So we just ignore that players are out injured ?

Well, Cheltenham Villa missed out losing Jack, which was my main point. But you're right—let's hope Bailey is OK with playing on the left, and he would hopefully be an improvement on AEG. Still, the injuries at the moment are not encouraging in themselves. Then losing the Emis for a game—maybe more in the future (I don't know the situation here). It's not our fault, but it's there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Understand the Grealish part but the midfield is unchanged, other than losing Barkley who by all accounts wasn't great.

If you take into account his injuries, I hope the strengthening of the forward line can replace the Grealish impact.

I'm not seeing strong sides below us some remain optimistic for at least 11th.

We had one lucky season when we stayed up on the last day. If not for Covid we would be relegated.

2nd season all the top teams struggled, and we took full advantage of it, and I command that but it's about keeping up the consistency and we failed to do that. West Ham shouldn't have leaped past us like they did. Complete bottle job. We are likely never to get a better opportunity reaching Europe than last season.

I see the same issues. Players and manager not quick enough to react, fitness issues, very sloppy passing (I though Smith was supposed to make us a fluid footballing side when he took charge), always shouldered off the ball, we look very powderpuff at times. Still not good enough at set pieces.

I get we had no pre season, and that there are some new players who needs to gel but that is not exclusive to us. Many teams had a difficult pre season, and I don't feel like we should be struggling this season. Not to the extent that we should be involved in a relegation scrap.

Still at the only win Smith said we didn't play great, and we still haven't corrected any mistakes. No matter who we sign Everton and West Ham seem to be absolute miles ahead of us.

I hope these potential new coaches can turn things around. Losing JT I think was disastrous.

Edited by villalad21
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

We could very feasibly get less points than last season and finish 2/3 places higher.  Would that be seen as progress?

The 55 points we amassed last season was the record for a bottom half team.

Of course it would - nobody cares about the points if you finish higher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We had one lucky season when we stayed up on the last day. If not for Covid we would be relegated.

2nd season all the top teams struggled, and we took full advantage of it, and I command that but it's about keeping up the consistency and we failed to do that. West Ham shouldn't have leaped past us like they did. Complete bottle job. We are likely never to get a better opportunity reaching Europe than last season.

I see the same issues. Players and manager not quick enough to react, fitness issues, very sloppy passing (I though Smith was supposed to make us a fluid footballing side when he took charge), always shouldered off the ball, we look very powderpuff at times. Still not good enough at set pieces.

I get we had no pre season, and that there are some new players who needs to gel but that is not exclusive to us. Many teams had a difficult pre season, and I don't feel like we should be struggling this season. Not to the extent that we should be involved in a relegation scrap.

Still at the only win Smith said we didn't play great, and we still haven't corrected any mistakes. No matter who we sign Everton and West Ham seem to be absolute miles ahead of us.

I hope these potential new coaches can turn things around. Losing JT I think was disastrous.

It makes sense but I'm still not sure why any of those things stop us finishing 11th. Agree on Everton and West Ham and agree on the poor pre season. I just think the shape of the squad is better, now down to whether the management team can get them to gel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, cb_82 said:

I think until we employee some hipster manager off the continent who then goes and spends money on players we haven't heard of but show up well on @davesscouting then some will just never be happy

I know there was a comical edge to your post, but you raise an interesting point. I don't think Smith gets half the credit he deserves. I don't mean from us Villa fans, but from the wider media. 

If he was called Dieter Schmidt and he had joined Villa from a club in the 2.Bundesliga, he'd be feted by the media as a genius and the new Klopp or Tuchel. The fact he is English means he gets a lot less credit IMO 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know there was a comical edge to your post, but you raise an interesting point. I don't think Smith gets half the credit he deserves. I don't mean from us Villa fans, but from the wider media. 

If he was called Dieter Schmidt and he had joined Villa from a club in the 2.Bundesliga, he'd be feted by the media as a genius and the new Klopp or Tuchel. The fact he is English means he gets a lot less credit IMO 

He has not really achieved  anything other than promotion through play offs and mid table in pl with an open wallet. 

What credit do you expect him to get?We should celebrate mediocrity? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â