Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s got nothing to do with what I said. What a weird comparison. 

You really think that if Bruce blew a 2 goal lead at halftime to lose 3-2 to Leeds that this site wouldn’t have gone crazy?

merry Christmas ☺️

Not sure if "crazy" suffices.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You really think that if Bruce blew a 2 goal lead at halftime to lose 3-2 to Leeds that this site wouldn’t have gone crazy?

merry Christmas ☺️

I dont see how blowing a 2 goal lead against the league leaders is worse than a 10 game losing/drawing streak. Site didnt go mental then so it shouldnt go mental now.

Dean Smith has been here just over 2 months. If he'd been here 2 years with 4 transfer windows and that happened - then I'd agree with you.

..and a happy new year 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Just how very dare you speak such common sense.

Sorry I'll tone it down in future. 

But for now I'll simply say: Dean Smith hasnt done anything remarkable yet, just like the person i was replying too 🤣

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Sorry I'll tone it down in future. 

But for now I'll simply say: Dean Smith hasnt done anything remarkable yet, just like the person i was replying too 🤣

Do you think he will do anything remarkable? I think he could, I think he has the players at his disposal, we need to find a system to fit them and be compact at the back too. I think he will get it right, it might not just happen overnight like everyone wants, he needs to sign players that he wants 

Merry Christmas, when Bruce came we were only marginally better until January.  But he lost me in his January decisions.  I was solidly but ocaisionally patiently, Bruce out after that 

When Smith came, I didn’t know enough to be confident, just happy that someone other than Bruce was in.  The change in attitude, aggression, fitness, and style have been dramatic, positive, and impressive.  

Bruce started by getting a poor roster to play more disciplined defensively.  But it turned out that was his only tactic.  Smith started by getting a poor roster to play with more aggression, and attacking discipline.  I don’t know what he plans for January.  

I don’t have the boundless faith that some do but I still have hope.  Working with another man’s poor roster, Smith has done better, but we’ll have a much better idea in a few weeks.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think he will do anything remarkable? I think he could, I think he has the players at his disposal, we need to find a system to fit them and be compact at the back too. I think he will get it right, it might not just happen overnight like everyone wants, he needs to sign players that he wants 

Oh I was messing around when I said I don't think he's done anything remarkable yet, I was simply repeating what someone else had said.

I actually think Smith has done a remarkablejob so far,  in coming in so fast,vetting players thinking again, physically fit again, moving on the ball, passing it better. Working as a unit or should I say most players are,I think there's a dozen or so exceptions where they are notifying in for one reason or another and we  need alot of new players that fit Smith's new build as I dont think some can fully get to grips with it. It's going to take time to say goodbye to some of the ones who don't fit Deano's build, I think a season or two from now,  we will be looking at many players who are different to the team that is villa now.

I think Smith can do something spectacular at villa,  not just get us promoted, I think he will pull the club's in premier apart by surprise. I also think we mite see silverware under Smith, whether its a cup run or a title win. I think all Smith has been waiting for is an owner who can support him financially with what weapons and defence systems he needs, he did very well at his last clubs,young manager where if we're to get rid at any point for a bad period I think it would be a big mistake and costly, think we have found our Alex Ferguson.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

I dont see how blowing a 2 goal lead against the league leaders is worse than a 10 game losing/drawing streak. Site didnt go mental then so it shouldnt go mental now.

Dean Smith has been here just over 2 months. If he'd been here 2 years with 4 transfer windows and that happened - then I'd agree with you.

..and a happy new year 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Well there you go and spoil it all - talking common sense and calling it right.

it will never do you know.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Merry Christmas, when Bruce came we were only marginally better until January.  But he lost me in his January decisions.  I was solidly but ocaisionally patiently, Bruce out after that 

When Smith came, I didn’t know enough to be confident, just happy that someone other than Bruce was in.  The change in attitude, aggression, fitness, and style have been dramatic, positive, and impressive.  

Bruce started by getting a poor roster to play more disciplined defensively.  But it turned out that was his only tactic.  Smith started by getting a poor roster to play with more aggression, and attacking discipline.  I don’t know what he plans for January.  

I don’t have the boundless faith that some do but I still have hope.  Working with another man’s poor roster, Smith has done better, but we’ll have a much better idea in a few weeks.  

Bruce's way out of a poor run of results is to spend his way out of it which in turn has created what in my head is at least half a squad of players who are now useless to us. Someone said in one of my posts that I was basically talking rubbish, maybe I am but I think alot of bruce players will be gone eventually, they fit a system that isn't happening no more but they don't fit a system that is happening rite now. The old regimes players are not working for the new regime,well nearly half the squad isn't anyway and thats ok becsuse we have the financial backing and a good few coaches who can change that. Thing is all our players are trying,  you can only try as far as your skill set allows , some are championship and premiere worthy, but i believe we have some that shouldnt even be in the championship,they are struggling in this league. How many signings has bronto bruce got rite,not many is it Mcginn being the main one for bruce who has been exceptional along with Tammy, Where Bolasie and ghazie have there on and off games, there are just many bruce players Smith can't fully rely on and he knows that.

I bet if I was to ask many of you who would you get shut of out of our squad an replace,  the number of exiting players would be around 8-12 players, more close to 12. We're seeing to many mistakes by players, some not even cutting it, not physically fit enough, cant break into the first team, undoing good hard work by the rest that are good enough to carry on in our new style. I think weve got to a stagewhere our expectations of our players have been  highered again, once apuna time for nearly two decades we got used to a low expectation and costly ones at that, now the football has changed, we now need players who can be fully relied on.

• Like 1

Much needed ugly 1-0 win under DS.

Reminds me of when we went to Boro after an indifferent run and won 1-0 in a terrible game this time last year.

We had a good winning streak after so here's hoping the penalty save will be something that changes the recent mindset.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Much needed ugly 1-0 win under DS.

Reminds me of when we went to Boro after an indifferent run and won 1-0 in a terrible game this time last year.

We had a good winning streak after so here's hoping the penalty save will be something that changes the recent mindset.

Absolutely this - just hope the Bruce had turned in this performance brigade will see this as a valuable 3 points and realise that Smith will not always oversee cavalier type performances - but neither will this be his default. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I just hope we replicate Fulham now and go on a 15 game winning streak. Sadly even that might not be enough for auto! 

I agree - I so hope that I am wrong but I honestly feel this ship has left port.

This said if we make the play off's I'm not sure anyone would fancy taking us on 

Â