Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I can't see us finishing higher than 11th 

Even 11th will be some task to achieve. 

Say we finish on 40 points this season and 15th. Would Smith still be in the job? If yes then the club should have been more honest with us before the season and said this was a transitional season. Not selling us false hopes with claims of Europe 

No one has sold you false hopes. 

If we finish with 40 pts, I'd imagine Smith would be in danger of being replaced. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

No one has sold you false hopes. 

If we finish with 40 pts, I'd imagine Smith would be in danger of being replaced. 

Smith literally said the aim was Europe in his pre season interview. 

Wouldn't have said that if they believed that was a totally unrealistic target. It's probable that's what he's been told is the target by the owners. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith literally said the aim was Europe in his pre season interview. 

Wouldn't have said that if they believed that was a totally unrealistic target. It's probable that's what he's been told is the target by the owners. 

We keep going round in circles. Europe is the aim, not the minimum requirement. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Thinking about it, I would **** bite your arm off for 8th. I think people forget how tough a league this is. Hell, it was tough enough getting out of the Championship. To get promoted, stay up, finish 11th and then 8th is no easy feat. We also would have overtaken 5 or 6 teams who were established in this league long before we came back up in the process. 

We're not finishing anywhere near 8th. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But if it is a completely unreslistic target why even say it? 

Motivation, confidence, excitement, flirting with a potential transfer target... 

Host of reasons 

Him saying it doesn't mean that during his performance review meeting with purslow those 2 are saying it and using it as his measuring stick though 

Apply context at the end of the season or maybe even just wait until the end of the season and see what happens...

This aim or target or expectation of Europe stuff is utterly futile 3 games in 

We need to re-establish ourselves solidly for a few seasons before we can try getting top 6. Before that getting into the Europa League or that conference thingy will help us get there 

But winning the league cup or F.A cup and finishing 11th is a barnstormer of a season. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Thinking about it, I would **** bite your arm off for 8th. I think people forget how tough a league this is. Hell, it was tough enough getting out of the Championship. To get promoted, stay up, finish 11th and then 8th is no easy feat. We also would have overtaken 5 or 6 teams who were established in this league long before we came back up in the process. 

8th would be an incredible season. Can't see it. Looking forward to watch us try.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How can you say that before you've watched one game with our strongest team?

I think our strongest team last season was much better than our strongest team this season. I rate Traore, so building up more right wingers doesn't seem like a massive improvement to me. Grealish is nigh on irreplaceable and Watkins is great up front, appreciating the improvement it is that we now also have Ings too. How we fit Ings and Watkins in a team may surprise me, but I said it earlier, I've only seen one unconvincing change of formation in pre season as evidence on that front so far. I don't feel we have a coherent plan. Buendia and Young playing in 2/3 different positions so far doesn't convince me otherwise. 

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Didn't score as much when Grealish was out though did he? 

As mentioned he need service 

Are you ignoring the bit where we did actually spend £100m on 3 players to achieve exactly this? 

Whether it will work or not is still with the gods, but it definitely happened. I dunno, don't shoot the messenger but maybe we should wait and see how it transpires. 

Just now, Rolta said:

I think our strongest team last season was much better than our strongest team this season. I rate Traore, so building up more right wingers doesn't seem like a massive improvement to me. Grealish is nigh on irreplaceable and Watkins is great up front, appreciating the improvement it is that we now also have Ings too. How we fit Ings and Watkins in a team may surprise me, but I said it earlier, I've only seen one unconvincing change of formation in pre season as evidence on that front so far. I don't feel we have a coherent plan. Buendia and Young playing in 2/3 different positions so far doesn't convince me otherwise. 

Hey, you might be right. But surely the club deserve the chance to see if their plan post Grealish can work. 

I'm excited to see Watkins and Ings together. That's a partnership that can get us 30 goals. How many teams have that potential up top?

Bailey gives us something we've never had, even if he isn't a Jack. 

I just don't see how you can write it off without seeing it play once. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hey, you might be right. But surely the club deserve the chance to see if their plan post Grealish can work. 

I'm excited to see Watkins and Ings together. That's a partnership that can get us 30 goals. How many teams have that potential up top?

Ings and Watkins in a 2 striker system would leave an already weak midfield even more vulnerable. 

Games are won and lost in midfield. I firmly believe that, and we don't have strong enough midfielders to get away with a 2 man midfield. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hopefully we can incorporate Ings and Watkins into a Liverpool style front three with one of the others. I'd like that. I just worry it won't happen. Anyway, we do all just have to wait and see. I think fears and optimism have been logged on here. We all just want the best. 

Â