Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

No, thanks for the “advice”, but I don’t think I missed anything at all.

If we finish above Leeds, we will have done better than them. If vice versa, the opposite.

There really isn’t any other objective measure.

Yes there is, a lot more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

And people saying "It doesn't matter if we don't finish above Leeds"

You might as well say it doesn't matter if we don't finish in the top half.

Of course it matters. Finishing in the top half would mean us being more attractive to players in the marked. It would mean more money in the pot. It's also a big confidence booster to the players.

Just letting the season fizzle out and finishing 11th-12th would be seriously frustrating after being in the top half for so long. Not just disappointing for the fans but it will be equally devestating to the players.

I just hate this fan mentality of "We're safe from relegation so who cares?" That's not me. Never will be.

That’s not what anyone is saying. You have to take all the evidence into consideration, not just what suits your narrative.

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you’re missing the point. Nobody is denying that Leeds have done better than us if they finish above us. They are just fed up of hearing that Leeds  or any other promoted team are a measure of Aston Villa’s progress.

Agreed. Let’s say next season, hypothetically -

Villa finish 7th (hurrah),

Leeds finish 14th (muted disappointment in some sections of VT)

But wait a second...look what else has happened in this made up example... Norwich have finished 6th!!!

Presumably that despite yet another theoretical progression, this would be a failure for some on here? Letting a promoted club finish ahead of us?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, blandy said:

There’s some peculiar takes in this thread. Mine is that Villa have progressed massively under Dean Smith. Long shot to go up. Done. Hard job to stay up. Done. Decent progress this season. Done.

as for next season’s aims for him. Well, over taking Man City? Not realistic. Man United then? Also not realistic. Chelsea? No. Liverpool? Also unrealistic. So top 4 demands would be daft. How about Leicester? They’re doing the same as Villa behind the scenes and are a way ahead. So really the pinnacle next year would be around 6th, but that’s a massive stretch. Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, Wolves and Leeds will all be aiming the same. We can’t all get there.

Improve the strength in depth, enhance the premiership nouse. Challenge for a cup and for Europe, bring through some youth and play good entertaining football.

Can this be pinned somewhere on the front page of VT? 

It would save a lot of the going round in circles arguments that appear in this thread. 

Great post. All we can do is focus on improving ourselves. We can't stop other teams having successful seasons.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It is frustrating that we are so slow om subbing...

We been overrunned in entire second half. Why did we not put in Nakamba for Luiz after 60 min?

Now we are using three steiners, and we Will have no service it seems like

Poor game, after the first 15 minutes it looked like we'd coast it.

Two back up players in defence didn't help. 

I don't know what they're seeing in Ramsay. 

Awful defending for the 2nd and 3rd goals. 

Oh well. Season over. Onto next. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

His game management is **** diabolical.

Only when we lose. 

What about the 10 game winning streak? The run to keep us up last season? 

The progress this year?

No one ever mentions it unless we lose. It's hilariously predictable. 

• Like 1

Â