The money that MON spent feels more in the context of the time and the fact that it wasn't a rebuild following promotion

Feels to me like MON had more than what Smith has had so far even though in actual pound notes he probably didn't, he had a better squad but didn't use it, wasted more money

I don't think Dean Smith would choose zat knight over Gary Cahill either, or start playing mcginn at RB 

• Like 2
  • VT Supporter

He has shown he has the capacity to change and will hopefully continue us to do so. He needs to continue to learn quickly as the Prem is a harsh environment to learn in where mistakes are punished.

I do wonder why we have not tried 3 at the back whilst Grealish has been out and Barkley out of form. Use the WB for width and a back 3 of konsa Mings and Engels. Then a midfield 3 of Luiz McGinn and Ramsey with Davis and Watkins up top. Or Traore or even El Ghazi behind Watkins. 

• VT Supporter
4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

He has shown he has the capacity to change and will hopefully continue us to do so. He needs to continue to learn quickly as the Prem is a harsh environment to learn in where mistakes are punished.

I do wonder why we have not tried 3 at the back whilst Grealish has been out and Barkley out of form. Use the WB for width and a back 3 of konsa Mings and Engels. Then a midfield 3 of Luiz McGinn and Ramsey with Davis and Watkins up top. Or Traore or even El Ghazi behind Watkins. 

I think our midfield is mostly too much the same right now, I'm hoping he gets some different players in in the closed season.

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Nice touch by William paying tribute to Dean’s dad today, that will have meant a lot to him. His association with the club does no harm at all. 

is the speech from william available anywhere? can't find it

32 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

is the speech from william available anywhere? can't find it

Think I found the comments on a Birmingham Live article (yeah, I went there..).

He also said a bit about what a great job Smith has done since 2018, so hopefully Purslow took that as the indirect threat of state violence it undoubtedly was. 

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually moaned about MON if i'm honest. ( Towards the latter stages )

MON was also heavily backed, signed the most high quality dross possible, and was tactics limited |IMO.

The counter attacking was brilliant when we were on it though

I think I might even put Gregory above MON. I reckon Oleary would have done an even better job ( than MON ) if he had more resources.

I dont know about o')leary.  He loved a row and blaming others not taking responsibility when he was cocking up.

We must remember where we were when DOL left, he almost relegated us. MON did have a big rebuild to do. I dont know MON managed to get the best out of average players like knight, harewood, shorey dunne and l young. Not the best players but they gave their all. Mons man management skills seem to be excelllent as they seemed to run through brick walls for him. All before the final season where he fell out with a lot of players and everyone was sending a bottle of champagne to each othee celebration when he got the axe (that 100%happened)

I still put him ahead of smith for now. But thag couls change next season depends how the season pans out

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thabucks said:

I'm all for switching it up more, but this would be a mistake I reckon. The space behind the wing backs, with a defensively ponderous midfield too. Jesus, no. The full backs are attacking enough already and they enjoy space because they have wingers making it.

On 04/05/2021 at 16:49, Mister_a said:

I wonder how many pages this thread would have grown had we lost to Everton. Jesus, this thread is so embarrassing.

So many people so entrenched in their positions, totally unwilling to look at the fairly average squad (Bar Grealish) we have that is currently sitting in the top half of the PL, and then criticizing the manager who got us there. 

I get that you all want Europe, but the teams above us have had a decade of PL money to cement their positions and their squads are so much stronger than ours, it's not even funny.

Perhaps, wait a few seasons, until we get over the FFP hump, and spend some money on the decent players we can now attract, being in the top half of the PL, rather than the hopefuls we had to buy due to the risk of becoming a yoyo club.

If, in a few seasons, we have spent a ton of cash and we are still in the bottom half of the PL, maybe then get the knives out, but for now, take a look at our squad and get a grip.

Le this

• Thanks 1
On 04/05/2021 at 15:49, Mister_a said:

I wonder how many pages this thread would have grown had we lost to Everton. Jesus, this thread is so embarrassing.

So many people so entrenched in their positions, totally unwilling to look at the fairly average squad (Bar Grealish) we have that is currently sitting in the top half of the PL, and then criticizing the manager who got us there. 

I get that you all want Europe, but the teams above us have had a decade of PL money to cement their positions and their squads are so much stronger than ours, it's not even funny.

Perhaps, wait a few seasons, until we get over the FFP hump, and spend some money on the decent players we can now attract, being in the top half of the PL, rather than the hopefuls we had to buy due to the risk of becoming a yoyo club.

If, in a few seasons, we have spent a ton of cash and we are still in the bottom half of the PL, maybe then get the knives out, but for now, take a look at our squad and get a grip.

As said by others,  this is spot on. 

You can add to this that our squad is the youngest first 11 in the PL, and that we've used the joint fewest number of players this season.

Improvement is coming, our owners are the real deal, and Smith has improved our position every year he's been with us. 

These are good times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 04/05/2021 at 18:30, Mister_a said:

I think our midfield is mostly too much the same right now, I'm hoping he gets some different players in in the closed season.

Agreed, the problem is, when everything clicks and we have a great performance, people tend to forget about the terrible ones.

Regardless, we need different types of QUALITY midfielders, to offer different dynamics in certain games or sequences.

Everton was an example of everything clicking, but we also need players who can drag a turgid performance and battle into a draw/win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

If we said back in October 2018, we are going to appoint a manager who will have us top half of the table by 2021's end, what would you of said back then?

What about, if we had said that en route to this standing in the Premier League, we will have to overcome a dramatically large turnover in player personnel in our first season back in the PL, of which no other team that season would experience the like of, where few playing personnel would have any experience playing in the PL, and the squad as a unit would have spent, for the most part, less than a season playing together, and the manager would also overcome the test of shifting his tactics and approach from a possession and short-passing based approach in the Championship to accommodate for the necessary changes that the PL would demand each and every week of our playing style once we had returned, what would you say?

What if we added some of our key signings and players succumb to injury and would be absent for extended periods?

So this manager would not be afforded much allowance for growing pains and cutting our teeth, as the pressures of our liabilities added, and our odds of success seemingly were stacked against us. 

Like I said in late 2018, I think we are on to a winner.

Now, as 2021's season reaches finality, I says to myself, I wonder what this man can achieve over the next three years? Considering that we will finally be given some respite, as our position should allow us a bit more leverage and clout moving forward.

Then there's the football side to look forward to..

Great post. It’s phenomenal progress really. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • VT Supporter
13 hours ago, A'Villan said:

If we said back in October 2018, we are going to appoint a manager who will have us top half of the table by 2021's end, what would you of said back then?

What about, if we had said that en route to this standing in the Premier League, we will have to overcome a dramatically large turnover in player personnel in our first season back in the PL, of which no other team that season would experience the like of, where few playing personnel would have any experience playing in the PL, and the squad as a unit would have spent, for the most part, less than a season playing together, and the manager would also overcome the test of shifting his tactics and approach from a possession and short-passing based approach in the Championship to accommodate for the necessary changes that the PL would demand each and every week of our playing style once we had returned, what would you say?

What if we added some of our key signings and players succumb to injury and would be absent for extended periods?

So this manager would not be afforded much allowance for growing pains and cutting our teeth, as the pressures of our liabilities added, and our odds of success seemingly were stacked against us. 

Like I said in late 2018, I think we are on to a winner.

Now, as 2021's season reaches finality, I says to myself, I wonder what this man can achieve over the next three years? Considering that we will finally be given some respite, as our position should allow us a bit more leverage and clout moving forward.

Then there's the football side to look forward to..

Yep, when he took over I don't think there's one of us on here who can realistically say they would have said being where we are now would be a disappointment. You'd have been insane to think then that we should have been pushing for Europe this year.yet there's a lot of people this season after the start we had acting like it's been a disaster us falling off the pace. 

• Like 4

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â