Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

So you say fans are entitled to opinions.

Then criticise fans for those opinions.

That is the point I was trying to make, it's fine to disagree but why attack others for having a different opinion?

Attack? 

Not sure it's that far. I can strongly disagree with people calling for the manager to be sacked. Not sure that's a major issue 

There's not much I don't like about Smith, but not making changes early enough is definitely one of them.

Every time Davis comes on he is a handful and makes things happen. he proved that massively tonight.

Fair enough if we're winning a game, keep the same team on. But when we're chasing a game like tonight I think we should change things earlier.

Other than that we were good in spells tonight and it was two really sloppy goals conceded that let us down. Another day we win that game 3-0

• Like 4

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

But at the very least it would demonstrate the team had been playing poorly so surely something to be concerned about?

I'm not so sure. I think we've just become used to the fate of our club being in serious danger. 

Smith failing to push on from midtable form isn't going to have major long term issues on the club.

• Thanks 1

Claiming we deserved to lose that game is crazy.  We had more chances, we had better chances, and we had a higher expected goals count (for however much you value that stat).

We maybe didn't deserve to win,  due to being so profligate with our chances,  but how Dean can be blamed for us missing chances is beyond me.

We have been poor of late, but this game was a step in the right direction of recovery.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

David Moyes struggled back of last season, even dropping points against relegation fodder like us.... 

They could have potentially went down on the last day of the season like ourselves

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

There's not much I don't like about Smith, but not making changes early enough is definitely one of them.

Every time Davis comes on he is a handful and makes things happen. he proved that massively tonight.

Fair enough if we're winning a game, keep the same team on. But when we're chasing a game like tonight I think we should change things earlier.

Other than that we were good in spells tonight and it was two really sloppy goals conceded that let us down. Another day we win that game 3-0

That sloppiness is a trait. We cut it out to stay up last year after the lockdown and in the second half of this season it has come back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

That sloppiness is a trait. We cut it out to stay up last year after the lockdown and in the second half of this season it has come back.

hell yeah cmt GIF by Redneck Island

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not everytime, just no. But he is heading in the right direction.

I'd actually said he wernt a goalscorer and won't score before the game on VT, he finally proved me right after 267894 times of saying it.

Credit where credits due, he came through when he was absolutely needed, but I expect it from him more now and he needs to know that. We can't be habing players not fulfilling there duties on the pitch and tonight Davis certainly deserved to be on the field.

I will say this though,we would not of come back against many other teams in the premier like we did tonight, I just don't think there are many that would of been as sloppy as West Brom were at the back.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly how I feel, and what's sad is that, there will be people waiting for Davis, or other subs to have a shit game, just so they can say " So happy the subs changed the game " sarcastically.

Beyond Davis, some of the sub selections do baffle me as well, I'm not sure why McGinn seems untouchable, is it an energy thing?

How many times have opposition managers been more proactive than us, when WE are the ones who need changes more?

So yeah, I like everything else about Dean, but some of his in game choices drive me absolutely nuts. He obviously has his reasons, but I'd hazard a guess even he would probably admit privately, that he has an apprehension to use subs for xxx reason. I mean, it's bleedingly obvious, and it can't always be the " poor options "  or " balance "moniker, because often time the players getting extended runs on the pitch have been attrocious ineffective or getting overrun.

I don't know why some people can't just admit it.

Even neutrals who watch games with me from time to time can observe the same thing, and they are not even Villa fans!

Our " trying something different " , is usually just starting another player in the same position.and shape. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

The penalty you could maybe put down to complacency or whatever, but it was extremely soft.

The second goal is a freak accident. You can't blame that on anybody. It was a slip from one of our best players. That's not a trait, it's just bad luck

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Claiming we deserved to lose that game is crazy.  We had more chances, we had better chances, and we had a higher expected goals count (for however much you value that stat).

We maybe didn't deserve to win,  due to being so profligate with our chances,  but how Dean can be blamed for us missing chances is beyond me.

We have been poor of late, but this game was a step in the right direction of recovery.

Agreed, I stated as much in the match thread. The Slip and the penalty were unfortunate.

However I'm annoyed, because I feel we could have won that game, if we had been more proactive.

The overall performance was definitely an improvement though.

We had some brilliant sequences of play.

McGinn broke down alot of them. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The penalty you could maybe put down to complacency or whatever, but it was extremely soft.

The second goal is a freak accident. You can't blame that on anybody. It was a slip from one of our best players. That's not a trait, it's just bad luck

Few players seemed to slip up tonight the surface must of been watered and greasy. At home we should be able to control this and prepare the correct footwear at least 

I do have serious concerns about Smith but the fact is, we've progress season on season. I guess you could argue that he may have hit his ceiling but then many of us (myself included) were saying similar things last season.

• Like 4

I would most likely give Smith a summer spend, it is probably the way to go about it and the right thing to do.it wouldn't stop me as an Owner though having someone lined up the moment things do start going wrong next season. Any new guy coming in would need as much time to start as he could get. I'm not saying get rid of Smith next season but being prepared in case you do is a wide move.

I would however expect us to now go after the best we possibly can, we can't keep doing this one man army thing any longer we need two or three signings who can hold there own. If Grealish is out we don't get this one man army tag against us and to get rid we need capable and quality players. With Grealish if we can have a total counting our main man of around 4 players who can do what the skipper does but in there own way, it would signal to us fans that things are still moving in the right direction, it would indeed be another hurdle we have overcome. We have to remove the barrier of who we signed summer gone and replace it with a new barrier with much more expensive players. If we don't buy much much better then we will most likely run into these problems were running into the same consistency as were doing now. We will miss Europe entirely next season as we have this season if we don't improve on who comes into the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Slagging, patronising it's all the same. You welcome to your opinion like all of us, but you are as good as saying your right were wrong everytime, an continue to label fans who disagree with you.

Whilst I disagree with you on Smith, I completely agree with this post!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's a developing tactical stubbornness - if we lose key players, we look for like for like, even if the quality isn't anything like the same rather than look to change the shape. I'd like to see him add a second method to his game, a plan B.

And what better time than now to try out a potential plan B? We're comfortably mid table and aren't fighting for european places. The season is basically finished for us.

Imo Smith should be trying different things now and make sure he's comfortable with implementing a plan B at some point next season (if needed).

Edited by LxYoungAVFC
  • Like 1

Â