Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Jesus, the stuff on here. You'd swear Smith went in two footed on him in training. He's relaying a message from the physios and medics which is outside his scope. We've some bloody good players so let's get behind them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never expected Europe this season's Nd all this notion that were looking at Gerrard to come in next season is very annoying and disrespectful to those in charge including Dean and the work they have done so far.

Media and those people talking all this nonsense because Europe may not be achieved this season, they should be ashamed.

Long live the Smith days so long as he does his job and he steadily takes us up there, I'm in no rush and a change in manager would be a shit show of disrespect towards Smith.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Apparently our accounts are expected to show that we've spent £155m since promotion on new players, so not quite as much as previously claimed in some quarters.

When you break that down per player, it really is crazy to say he should have built a squad good enough for Europe at this point. 

• Like 4

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

If I’m being honest I thought we’d be in another relegation battle. A less worrying one one though where we’d be safe for several games to play.  Similar to Brighton.

I expected pretty much the same. A battle above relegation but just out of the main relegation battle, we've achieved miles better than that and whoever is moaning should get a massive grip with themselves.

Personally regardless of all this media crap coming out before our Liverpool game (which includes an ex Liverpool player possibly coming to us), funny isn't it, I call bull crap on it all. I do actually think our Owners will be more than happy with what Smith has accomplished this season it's better than what was expected and not anyone can even dream of taking that away from Smith and Co on field or off field.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If I’m being honest I thought we’d be in another relegation battle. A less worrying one though where we’d be safe with several games to play.  Similar to Brighton. 

I expected similar pre season. 

After the first few games that changed to, great,  we'll be fine. Be interesting to see if we can make top half.

Then after a few more games it became  we could make Europe.

In hindsight,  Europe was never really achievable. But I did feel it was for a while.

An injury to a key player was always likely.  The lack of squad depth was always likely to hinder us at some point, and there was absolutely nothing we could have done about it. The money we've spent to assemble this squad, couldn't have gone any further.  In the short term, maybe we maybe could have signed a few players in their prime,  but we'd be restarting the old mistakes if we went down that route. And tbh, I think they'd have cost too much for us to buy anyway. 

Our owners are taking a sustainable approach, and anything achieved in the interim is a bonus. 

Let's hope the owners understand that Dean isn't the issue here. And he is openly admitting he is still learning. I see the benefits in keeping him at the helm for a long time,  and while the squad morale is so good,  and you have Douglas Luiz announcing how good the team spirit is, you know he's got everyone on board.  Our poor leadership off field was a cause of how shit we've been the last decade, long before the constant changing of mamager was then a further cause and symptom of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I expected similar pre season. 

After the first few games that changed to, great,  we'll be fine. Be interesting to see if we can make top half.

Then after a few more games it became  we could make Europe.

In hindsight,  Europe was never really achievable. But I did feel it was for a while.

An injury to a key player was always likely.  The lack of squad depth was always likely to hinder us at some point, and there was absolutely nothing we could have done about it. The money we've spent to assemble this squad, couldn't have gone any further.  In the short term, maybe we maybe could have signed a few players in their prime,  but we'd be restarting the old mistakes if we went down that route. And tbh, I think they'd have cost too much for us to buy anyway. 

Our owners are taking a sustainable approach, and anything achieved in the interim is a bonus. 

Let's hope the owners understand that Dean isn't the issue here. And he is openly admitting he is still learning. I see the benefits in keeping him at the helm for a long time,  and while the squad morale is so good,  and you have Douglas Luiz announcing how good the team spirit is, you know he's got everyone on board.  Our poor leadership off field was a cause of how shit we've been the last decade, long before the constant changing of mamager was then a further cause and symptom of it. 

Team spirit seems great. We also seem to have a lot of great personalities at the club. I can’t remember the last time we had this. Obviously the owners deserve a lot of credit but ultimately it’s the manager/head coach thats is the main man that keeps it all together. Yes he has a lot to learn but I can’t help but feel he is under appreciated  by a small minority of fans.  Not a dig at all, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just think it’s little bit unfair. 

Can't understand why he didn't bring Davis on, he really is limited as a manager.

I do wonder if our owners are going to keep patience with him, their ambitions are very high and I just don't see Dean Smith being that manager who can take us to that level.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Nonsensical subs. 

Barkley was a poor sub because he is a poor player

The other 2 re perfectly sensible based on how Liverpool play, TAA and Robertson are key players, the basis of their attack, so we have to keep wide men on

Davis instead of barkley fair enough but davis instead of the other 2 would have been a poor sub

Reality is, if we want to kick on to challenge the top 6-7 in this league - he isn’t good enough and needs replacing. 

Bielsa has a newly promoted Leeds side above us in the table without spaffing well over £150m. Nor do they have a player as good as Jack Grealish.

We have no discernible style of play and his game management is atrocious.

I’m not calling for him to be sacked - I just can’t see how people watch this football and think this man can actually take us further.

Edited by Cizzler

I can't understand Smith again.

Trez, Ramsey and KD turned us around last week.

So this week he brings on El Ghazi - who was pathetic last week and hasn't been much better this week - and Barkley - who has been pathetic for ages - and ignores KD.  The kid should be massively frustrated ... I know I am.

Â