Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

If we had 2 more players of Traore's level, we'd be laughing - as it is, we have Trez and AEG who aren't consistent enough.

Sorry if we had two more players like Traore we'd be walked all over. Hes a talent but only shows it fleetingly. Its ok to have one in the side but we need more of that desire and passion that Trez showed when he came on the pitch. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sorry if we had two more players like Traore we'd be walked all over. Hes a talent but only shows it fleetingly. Its ok to have one in the side but we need more of that desire and passion that Trez showed when he came on the pitch. 

That's bollocks, Paul, sorry. He's a wing-forward and contributes goals and assists - the other 2 have 1 assist between them. Trez does more defensive work, sure, but if we were better with the ball and could keep it more due to having better attacking players, we wouldn't need to be scrabbling to get it back all the time.

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

That's bollocks, Paul, sorry. He's a wing-forward and contributes goals and assists - the other 2 have 1 assist between them. Trez does more defensive work, sure, but if we were better with the ball and could keep it more due to having better attacking players, we wouldn't need to be scrabbling to get it back all the time.

Fair enough, I just dont think you can afford two of them in the same side. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Fair enough, I just dont think you can afford two of them in the same side. 

Well when Jack plays, he contributes 0.5 more tackles and 0.1 more interceptions on average than Traore does. That's not that big a difference. 

You have two more players who can contribute a goal or assist every other game, we'd be better off than we are. 

Just now, lexicon said:

Well when Jack plays, he contributes 0.5 more tackles and 0.1 more interceptions on average than Traore does. That's not that big a difference. 

You have two more players who can contribute a goal or assist every other game, we'd be better off than we are. 

No but Jack is a lot more involved in games and doesn't go missing for long periods. But its still his first season and hes has a good tally of goals and assists and if he can build on that next season then we have a real player on our hands. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

If we had 2 more players of Traore's level, we'd be laughing - as it is, we have Trez and AEG who aren't consistent enough.

Neto would be a massive addition, but probably too expensive.

On 05/04/2021 at 20:06, TRO said:

Quite.

I think tactics are over rated, that is not me saying, they don't matter or dismissing them out of hand.....what happened yesterday was 3  fired up players, intent on making a impact...and boy they did.

and Bravo to them and Dean for Changing it.

4 fired up players, I've got to add Mings to that as well.

He was determined to put it right.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd love to this thread if Smith talked like this after a loss.

We have to work on winning all the stats first of course...

Wow! That was even painful to watch and we aren’t even Chelsea fans.  As you say if Dean said anything like that this site would be in meltdown.

Mentioned this a while back and it now got moved to the podcast, but Deano was interviewed by former teammate Robbie Mustoe (one of the lead PL analysts over here in the states) and is now on one of the most recent podcasts that he has (The 2 Robbies). Not sure if it is US only but thought it might be of interest to folks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Wow.  What utter bollocks. That's an impressive level of complete nonsense. Who are they even trying to attract clicks from with such claims. 

(N.b. I haven't clicked the link as refuse to give them any traffic, but going bases on the URL text)

I think its interesting how Ian Wright called us John Travolta from Saturday night fever for the first half of the season.

I reckon the second half of the season we have been Jabba the Hut from Star Wars!

This has also been stated in the last 20 pages or so.

It wouldn't suprise me to think the owners are maybe wanting more than what Dean Smith can deliver. (Especially on the money he's had to spend).

I don't think Gerrard is the answer but I would welcome a change if it meant getting a manager that can get us into the European places.

These owners strike me as two people that mean business and are not here to piss about.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This has also been stated in the last 20 pages or so.

It wouldn't suprise me to think the owners are maybe wanting more than what Dean Smith can deliver. (Especially on the money he's had to spend).

I don't think Gerrard is the answer but I would welcome a change if it meant getting a manager that can get us into the European places.

These owners strike me as two people that mean business and are not here to piss about.

It all depends if they think Dean can take us further or not and of course who they could replace him with. Virtually nobody is irreplaceable but we haven’t got a great history in manager choices over the years.

New regime now of course and I agree with you that our owners aren’t here to piss about. I also agree that it’s unlikely that Stevie G would be their choice, at the moment at least, to lead us to the promised land. 

• Like 1

I think Smith will get next season.  But sentiment wont come into it with owners like ours. 

Villa Fans love smith because he is one of our own and has got us back up off the floor.  This loyalty won’t last as long with the owners if he doesn’t push on next season 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I think Smith will get next season.  But sentiment wont come into it with owners like ours. 

Villa Fans love smith because he is one of our own and has got us back up off the floor.  This loyalty won’t last as long with the owners if he doesn’t push on next season 

If he stops moving the club forward, then yes, I'd imagine our owners will think about replacing him. 

But considering he's done nothing but move the club forward since coming here, I have no idea why this is such a major worry in our 2nd season back in the prem.

How many clubs can people point to that have progressed as much as us in the last 3 seasons?

• Like 3

Â