Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So now Grealish isn't good enough!?

The large bit in bold comes - believe it or not - where many posters had a mindset that we didn't need squad depth and were posting as if we would be immune to suspensions and injuries etc. this season like it wouldn't happen to us (tbf, we've been quite lucky up until now).

They wouldn't have it that we were light in all positions outside of our strongest XI and many posters were shot down for suggesting we needed further improvement.

(I am sure if you can be arsed to scroll through the hundreds of pages of threads you will eventually find these posts I mention).

It's okay saying we tried for a striker but then shrugging it off as acceptable that we didn't find one?

Listen, I give up with you as we are going round in circles due to you going off in different directions with each reply you're posting while seemingly putting words in my mouth, twisting my posts and making bullshit remarks of people crying and stamping their feet.

So we will leave it at that.

Very confused. I think you're just creating issues to get worked up over. And as I said, your expectations being out of control isn't Dean's problem. 

21 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

obviously a player who can perform Barkleys role.

At the moment I can do that - stroll around for a bit,  have a bit of a jog,  misplace a few passes. Where do I sign??

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think this is part of the problem though. We were one of the worst teams in the league for 4 or 5 years and spent 3 years in the championship and then survived on the final day once back up. 

There has to be some patience before we jump back to the entitled fan base we've been previously. 

Yes true

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ignored what DC? Ask me the question and ill happily answer

I was asking what other team in the top half have squad depth issues like ours? 

Would elmo play games for any of them? Would El Ghazi or Trez play multiple games for any of them? Would Davis even get on the bench for any other team in the top half?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes it doesn't matter, Lerner cut the purse strings, our sole ambition was to survive then get back to the top division. That is not good enough now. We need to continue progressing. 

Sorry to single you out Paul, but I’ve seen a lot of this lately on forums and social media.

Where has this “That is not good enough now” come from? We stayed up on the last day last season, now please correct me if I’m wrong but I think we’ve only fell out of the top half of the table for 1 game this season, and we’ve passed the 40 points mark - if offered that in July, you’d have given your right arm. I know I would have!

We are indeed a grand old name in the history and fabric of English football, but today in the PL it counts for very little, we have to be careful how we progress and in a way that we can maintain.

My big worry is the potential outrage should we finish 12th-14th, it’s going to be seen as failure by a lot of over expectant fans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tomav84 said:
  • we have no idea what the owners sold jack to get him to sign a new contract. for all we know this season's aim might have been top half, therefore 13th might mean jack's off. the drop to 13th from where we were might tell jack that we're a long way off where he wants to be and asks to leave anyway. 8th is knocking on the door of europe however, and much more chance of him staying
  • us, leeds, and wolves are likely to be shopping for similar calibre players. the higher we finish, the more attractive a proposition we become. players want to sign for a team with realistic chance of europe. 13th is a long way off european places. 8th is not.
  • based on the speculated £2m per league place, the difference is worth £10m to our FFP headroom

so there is quite a difference between 13th and 8th. good on you and others that aren't bothered with where we finish but some of us are, espcially seeing as we've been top half for the vast majority of the season. that's not 'freaking out', it's not lack of support for smith, but it's still valid concerns that people have. besides, we want to enjoy watching our team for the rest of the season. we want to see them TRY and finish as high as possible. i can't stand teams like palace that go to the beach as soon as they hit 40 points. it's a small time mentality of teams that are only here to make up the numbers. i dont want that to be us.

Haha come on. 

I mean full credit to sticking to your guns but this is brilliant. 

4 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Sorry to single you out Paul, but I’ve seen a lot of this lately on forums and social media.

Where has this “That is not good enough now” come from? We stayed up on the last day last season, now please correct me if I’m wrong but I think we’ve only fell out of the top half of the table for 1 game this season, and we’ve passed the 40 points mark - if offered that in July, you’d have given your right arm. I know I would have!

We are indeed a grand old name in the history and fabric of English football, but today in the PL it counts for very little, we have to be careful how we progress and in a way that we can maintain.

My big worry is the potential outrage should we finish 12th-14th, it’s going to be seen as failure by a lot of over expectant fans.

There will be outrage but come the summer when we sign another 3 or 4 first team calibre players and we manage to create a longer run of good form it will be back to 'thanks Dean, what a manager we are lucky to have, a true Villan' etc.  It will all be conveniently forgotten the various times they stuck the boot into him when things haven't gone so well, despite the stuff he has done for this club since taking over and the fact we are still midway through the project of getting up to top 6 contention again.  For what it's worth I think if Jack plays a meaningful amount of matches before the end of the season we will finish top 10 comfortably.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

No you are right this season even if we finish 15th thats ok by me but next season if end up being in a  relegation fight then questions have to be asked about the manager. I dont expect that to happen even if we sell Grealish.  

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

thank you

I kind of get the anger now. People just making up hypothetical doomsday scenarios if we don't finish in the top half. Others claiming top 6 could have been easy. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No you are right this season even if we finish 15th thats ok by me but next season if end up being in a  relegation fight then questions have to be asked about the manager. I dont expect that to happen even if we sell Grealish.  

If we drop back into a relegation battle next year then I'd imagine Dean will be sacked.

I will be very happy if we finish mid table; that will be progress.

Am I happy with recent performances; no, unacceptable; and the manager agrees, he has said so.

But he seems not to be able to do anything about it, considering it is now quite a lengthy poor run of performances. I get the feeling he is waiting for Grealish to return to make it all right.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:
  • we have no idea what the owners sold jack to get him to sign a new contract. for all we know this season's aim might have been top half, therefore 13th might mean jack's off. the drop to 13th from where we were might tell jack that we're a long way off where he wants to be and asks to leave anyway. 8th is knocking on the door of europe however, and much more chance of him staying
  • us, leeds, and wolves are likely to be shopping for similar calibre players. the higher we finish, the more attractive a proposition we become. players want to sign for a team with realistic chance of europe. 13th is a long way off european places. 8th is not.
  • based on the speculated £2m per league place, the difference is worth £10m to our FFP headroom

so there is quite a difference between 13th and 8th. good on you and others that aren't bothered with where we finish but some of us are, espcially seeing as we've been top half for the vast majority of the season. that's not 'freaking out', it's not lack of support for smith, but it's still valid concerns that people have. besides, we want to enjoy watching our team for the rest of the season. we want to see them TRY and finish as high as possible. i can't stand teams like palace that go to the beach as soon as they hit 40 points. it's a small time mentality of teams that are only here to make up the numbers. i dont want that to be us.

I don't think we're on the beach. We're missing 1 world class players and a lot of our players just look spent physically since the turn of the year. There's still a lot of football to be played, and there's every chance we'll come back refreshed after the international break (many of our players, including Jack won't be taking part).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I kind of get the anger now. People just making up hypothetical doomsday scenarios if we don't finish in the top half. Others claiming top 6 could have been easy. 

it's not really doomsday scenarios, but i do believe a top half finish makes us a more attractive prospect to possible signings. i'm not convinced finishing 13th would attract the calibre of player that takes us to the next level. i'd like us to aim for the likes of ward-prowse. would players like him leave for a side just a place or 2 above where he is now?

top 6 was a nice dream, but never realistic with the squad we had. those saying it would have been easy are deluded...we agree there.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

The thing is Woody, you can’t ignore the investment. We have spent heavily on new players. Our owners are not doing that to achieve an 18% win ratio when one man is injured. If that continues then Dean will get the sack. I am certain of that.

You also cannot ignore the total lack of flow to our game. We just do not look like a team that spends every day together on the training ground. We look like a team of total strangers!  I have calmed down now after last night but we cannot ignore what we have been seeing every week for weeks now. It is also utterly embarrassing that we have only managed to salvage one single point from a losing position all season. The manager has to accept the blame for that. 
I am still with Dean and hope he turns it around but it has to start soon. We are at a crossroads. A strong end to the season and its been a good season. Continue on our current path and I think he will quite rightly be under pressure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Ah, sorry Dubbs. You have to be able to kick water bottles as well.

B#####s! That sucks.  Guess I go back to my 9-5 then. 

Edited by dubbs

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I was asking what other team in the top half have squad depth issues like ours? 

Would elmo play games for any of them? Would El Ghazi or Trez play multiple games for any of them? Would Davis even get on the bench for any other team in the top half?

When you say depth issues what do you mean exactly? We have a big squad in fact a massive squad with ine injury.

Who chose to send guilbert on loan? For me elmo should have been the one to go. But even with that he could ahve given kesler a opportunity.

We have aeg traore and trez. Also JPB could be used if need be.

Up top wes has been injured for a while so cant use that as a excuse. He has barry and traore who can play up front. Furthermore he didnt think a striker was needed in jan to help ollie.

Look at cm options we have mcginn sanson barkely luiz nakamba Ramsey and thats excluding the injured grealish 

Â