Dean Smith

Demitri_C

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id aay this recent run has been as bad as last year to be honest. Its relegation form and we have played some poor sides recently. 

I want to see more from smith winning games and being able to play without grealish

Nope

8B2981A1-2D6F-4C1B-9730-E47DE8798FAF.jpeg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Again I’ll ask again, like what?

Well try dropping one of our none performing wingers for another target man like I suggested in the match thread yesterday and you said no to and then you admitted after that he impressed you.

How about trying that, if it doesn't work what have we lost?

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Why? In the last 10 years we have been one of the biggest jokes in English football. Just because we have a great name means nothing. Celtic, Hamburg and Nottingham Forest are great names too but it means nothing. We havent finished above Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Southampton or West Ham since 2013 

Leicester, PSG and Man CIty are lesser names and are a billion miles ahead of us

Yes it doesn't matter, Lerner cut the purse strings, our sole ambition was to survive then get back to the top division. That is not good enough now. We need to continue progressing. 

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well try dropping one of our none performing wingers for another target man like I suggested in the match thread yesterday and you said no to and then you admitted after that he impressed you.

How about trying that, if it doesn't work what have we lost?

He didn’t impress me, I said he did a few nice things

18 hours ago,  mykeyb said: 

So when I suggested in the match thread that he should come on and you said no point he is crap does that mean you were wrong?

Yes mate I was wrong.  I have no ego, when I’m wrong I’m wrong and I’ll admit it.

I still think he’s crap generally and should be sold or loaned out in the summer because he doesn’t have it.  He did a few nice things tonight but doesn’t change the long term about him.

Did he change the game? No....

Did he score? No...

He did a few nice things but did he do enough to warrant a start next game? No

but we are poor at the moment I don’t mind trying him up front with Ollie.  If this is your solution to our current woes, we may have fallen farer than I thought, even Smith doesn’t pick him.  

Our current wingers are playing poorly so I’ll try anything but I definitely don’t think this is the solution, kind of a last resort that I don’t think even Smith will try but let’s see.

It was utterly predictable when we had the good start that people's expectations would have shifted and when the inevitable slump came it would be used against Dean.  I swear some people on here don't have the right number of chromosomes.  Hopefully we get Jack back soon and start picking up a few results before the end of the season but to be honest wherever we end up finishing, it doesn't really alter what we will do in the summer.  We will spend some more money to build better depth so we can keep up our performances for longer than we did this season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He didn’t impress me, I said he did a few nice things

Did he change the game? No....

Did he score? No...

He did a few nice things but did he do enough to warrant a start next game? No

but we are poor at the moment I don’t mind trying him up front with Ollie.  If this is your solution to our current woes, we may have fallen farer than I thought, even Smith doesn’t pick him.  

Our current wingers are playing poorly so I’ll try anything but I definitely don’t think this is the solution, kind of a last resort that I don’t think even Smith will try but let’s see.

Look I have said we don't have massive options in the squad but I would like to see Dean try it, like I say what do we have to lose.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It was utterly predictable when we had the good start that people's expectations would have shifted and when the inevitable slump came it would be used against Dean.  I swear some people on here don't have the right number of chromosomes.  Hopefully we get Jack back soon and start picking up a few results before the end of the season but to be honest wherever we end up finishing, it doesn't really alter what we will do in the summer.  We will spend some more money to build better depth so we can keep up our performances for longer than we did this season.

So you weren't disappointed by the results against Sheff Utd, Brighton & Newcastle?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So you weren't disappointed by the results against Sheff Utd, Brighton & Newcastle?

I was but I'm generally able to put things into context beyond good results = good, bad results = bad and taking into account other factors that Dean has had to work under, what he can do about them right now, how much he has improved us since taking over, amongst other things.  I'm just more fed up in that I could see this reaction coming in October, Villa (probably football fans in general) are so predictable.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Over a season it gives us 6 point more than last season, so not far off.

My point is we should be doing better. Im not expecting us to be challenging for titles but expect passion creativity and giving a go to teams.

Since grealish got injured ive seen some worrying aspects to our game.  We cannot and shouldnt be playing like this with or without grealish.

Oue shots on target ratio has been poor and goal returns just as poor. A hell of a lot of work to do

We had a fantastic 2020 part of this season but we are currently averaging just above 1 point per game during the 2021 part of this season.

As disappointing as it is that we could not maintain the quality we had for the first 15 or so games surely most people must have seen it coming? 

We were relying extremely heavy on 7-8 players who in many cases are young and inexperienced. Considering how condensed this season is we were always going to run out of steam both physically and mentally. Our squad is very much a work in progress and it's still wafer thin. Considering the position we were in when the last season ended I think we did fantastic with our transfers. Sadly Barkley turned out a dud who only fired about 3 times which means the midfield is struggling. Never been a massive admirer of Traoré but he's probably the level of player a almost relegated club could attract. For next season we need better.

There are perhaps things regarding squad management that could have been handled in another way. Who knows, It might as well have lead to us gaining much fewer points and finding us in a precarious position. And we still might have picked up injuries. Again, the squad is thin as we've only had 4 windows to build it and been in a less than ideal position while doing it.

Find myself agreeing and disagreeing with both camps in here lately :)

• Like 2

Bolster that midfield and we will have a good season next season, unfortunately that might mean replacing McGinn on his form so far this season. 

Upgrades on Trez and El Ghazi, and obviously a player who can perform Barkleys role.

Edited by Tommo_b

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

So you won't name your side for Fulham if Jacks not fit?

Maybe the issue is the lack of performance. No attempts on target at home to Spurs with just missing our best player..................

Sorry, missed it. 

For me with Jack out I think I'd be playing Ross regardless of his flaws. 

Out wide, I'm not sure it makes much difference, El Ghazi and Traore have moments but neither are really clear chance making players. 

I'd personally drop Mcginn but can't see that happening and I wouldn't mind Davis playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

It really was. I and others called it earlier in the season. You just knew the same crowd would be out in force once things dropped off. Let's be honest, they didn't even wait. They were moaning when we beat Southampton. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

But we are Aston Villa and expectations are higher here than a lot of other clubs. I am very happy with Smith myself. think hes done a great job. Next season will be make or break. If we continue to make progress that will be great, if we slip back into a relegation battle that wont be tolerated

I think this is part of the problem though. We were one of the worst teams in the league for 4 or 5 years and spent 3 years in the championship and then survived on the final day once back up. 

There has to be some patience before we jump back to the entitled fan base we've been previously. 

Â