Dean Smith

Demitri_C

'I really can't be bothered to do that' I knew that you would all too predictably say that, despite the fact that you've already been bothered to search my posts.

I'm moaning about the misquotes because they totally misquote what I'd actually written so they didn't 'clarify my points' at all, they turned them into something different.

Probably should also be pointed out that people are allowed to change their expectations as the situation changes, so even if I'd have said what you claimed to 'clarify' what I'd said, which I did not, it wouldn't actually prove anything, other than nine months later someone has changed their mind, and that's presuming that the post today was written in all seriousness, a look at pretty much all my other posts would probably suggest that wasn't, but that's not the point.

This all coming from a poster that was talking about us replacing Smith in the summer with Pochenttino, and I'm sure pretty much every poster on here as said one thing at one time and then changed their opinion later.

Back in July anything other than relegation battle would have been good season, now from where we were a month or so back anything other than a top half finish would feel disappointing, albeit not the end of the world.

The only annoying thing about Smith, has nothing to do with Smith himself, but the cult like way some people jump on anyone who says anything that might be deemed even slightly negative, not talking about myself here, as I've hardly said anything negative about him so haven't become a target, but the way some posters are treated on here verges on being bullied just for sometimes having a different opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

'I really can't be bothered to do that' I knew that you would all too predictably say that, despite the fact that you've already been bothered to search my posts.

I'm moaning about the misquotes because they totally misquote what I'd actually written so they didn't 'clarify my points' at all, they turned them into something different.

Probably should also be pointed out that people are allowed to change their expectations as the situation changes, so even if I'd have said what you claimed to 'clarify' what I'd said, which I did not, it wouldn't actually prove anything, other than nine months later someone has changed their mind, and that's presuming that the post today was written in all seriousness, a look at pretty much all my other posts would probably suggest that wasn't, but that's not the point.

This all coming from a poster that was talking about us replacing Smith in the summer with Pochenttino, and I'm sure pretty much every poster on here as said one thing at one time and then changed their opinion later.

Back in July anything other than relegation battle would have been good season, now from where we were a month or so back anything other than a top half finish would feel disappointing, albeit not the end of the world.

I'll try one more time.

THEY WEREN'T QUOTES HENCE NO QUOTEMARKS

It took me seconds to find that post, hence the reply being a couple of minutes after your post. I'm not going to spend ages trawling through your opinions on every summer signing, however much you want me to.

I don't think the one time I ever mentioned Pochettino is the slamdunk you think it is

On 15/09/2020 at 13:51, Sam-AVFC said:

Neither am I convinced that he'll necessarily be able to do it. That's a perfectly valid opinion. I've even had a guilty thought that if he wont it's better he **** the start of the season up so we go all out to get someone like Pochettino. I also think there is a good chance he could improve lots as a manager as he clearly reflects on his faults and seems the type to constantly try and learn. Just need to hope it's in time to keep his job.

See how I said I had a guilty thought he could fail so we could get a top class manager in? See how I also said he has clearly shown improvement and I hope he continues to? Spoiler: he has.

I wouldn't have even bothered replying to you if you hadn't acted like a child saying "I see Smith's little pets are out in force again"***

* This is a quote

** This is a quote

*** This is a quote

Edited by Sam-AVFC

It doesn't matter that they weren't quotes, you claimed that you were 'clarifying my points' you did no such thing, you also didn't paraphrase me either, paraphrasing isn't completey twisiting what someone has said to suit your own agenda.

And I purposely mentioned Pochettino because I knew the way you would react would rather make my point for me, see you don't like it when someone takes something you've said out of context.

Also "I see Smith's little pets are out in force again" was obviously meant to be purposely over the top, to signify that what I was about to write might not be meant in all seriousness.

And I'm not bothered whether you search my posts or not, you're the one that started it by doing exactly that in the first place.

Edited by useless

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

All I've ever seen you do on here is moan, complain and have a dig at Smith in the match thread. If that's you being happy then fair enough. Smile on.

An all I ever see you do is get all over defensive if someone says anything against Smith, no one else does it. Just give it up chap, I'm sorry my love towards Smith does not match yours, there is no need to become a hater, everyone is entitled to there opinion, weather you agree or disagree I really don't care.

First season in charge we finished 5th in the Championship then promoted. 

Second season 17th in the Prem, climbing 8 league places. 

If we finish 9th this season he’s climbed another 8 places. 

Runners up 21/22 season... 

more seriously, I think he should have a lot in the bank with the fan base by now. Not above criticism, but worthy of our trust. 

• Like 4

I pray one day this forum can even somewhat go back to being able to debate things on their merits rather than crying about agendas or claims of not being allowed to have an opinion just because someone had the cheek to disagree with you. It's absolutely nauseating at the moment from match threads to here.

• Like 3

Just now, useless said:

I know I've made a very good point when Nick76 replies with one of laughing faces, happens every time, especially in the Keinan Davis thread.

I know, at least I’m consistent though and stand by my views 😉

Tell me where I've changed my view, I said we could improve with Smith as manager if we sign four quality player, and that's exactly what happened. I indicated that if we kept Smith and only signed four players, and they weren't top quality then people would be naive to think we'd improve much, there's no way of proving whether that view was wrong or not, but I think most can agree if they're being honest that if we'd have kept the same team and signed four players that weren't of top quality, then we would have struggled this season.

14 minutes ago, TheFirstMan said:

bunch of miserable gits on here.

Anyone would think we was 20th in the league with Lerner and Garde at the helm, with Richards and Lescott at the back, Guzan in goal and Flabby Agbonlahor up top. 

We've moved on from then and so have our expectations

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Tell me where I've changed my view

On a website called Villatalk where fans talk about an English football club called Aston Villa.  

Occasionally fans get called out by other fans and that happened by a poster today with supporting evidence and the offender dug and dug trying to get out of it.  

I was just here for the laughs and giggles for once instead of being in the back and forth.

I enjoyed my popcorn...hope the bruises heal quickly from the beating you got.

bill hader popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

An all I ever see you do is get all over defensive if someone says anything against Smith, no one else does it. Just give it up chap, I'm sorry my love towards Smith does not match yours, there is no need to become a hater, everyone is entitled to there opinion, weather you agree or disagree I really don't care.

Lots of people make very valid points. I just like to call out the bullshit moaning from the same group since he got here. 

• Like 1

Except no one has 'called me out with supportin evidence' this is what I wrote today, and which obviously wasn't said in all seriousness:

I see Smith's little pets are out in force again, Smith has hardly performed a miracle, had one of the strongest squads ever in the championship, and has spent £200m plus since promotion and in addition to that already had in Grealish a £100m plus player to work with. And yet despite the money spent we're still just not very good without captain Grealish, which whether people like or not the stats bear out.

And this what someone went back to July of last year to try and counter it with, as if to somehow catch me out, they themself use the term 'slamdunk':

We aren't going to go from a team that barely survived on 35 points to a comfortable midtable team by keeping things as they are and making a few signings, bearing in mind that not every signing works out and the other teams will be strengthening their teams as well.

We either needed to bring in a better coach to get better out of the players we already have with a few additions, or keep Smith and sign as many players as possible better than the ones we already have. I think people are being naive if they think we're going to improve that much with the same team, same manager, and only four additions, unless those four additions were genuine proven top quality, befitting of a club serious of challenging for a top half finish.

How the second post relates to anything I said in the first post I'm not sure, and I certainly can't see where I've changed my opinion, not that that isn't allowed, especially nine months later, after six new signings, and various other chanes made. And again nowhere did I say that people are naive to think we could finish midtable with Smith, nor did I say that we wouldn't become a midtable team without sacking him. And I've never said that finishing midtable was impossible, nor am I 'furious'.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Except no one has 'called me out with supportin evidence' this is what I wrote today, and which obviously wasn't said in all seriousness:

And this what someone went back to July of last year to try and counter it with, as if to somehow catch me out, they themself use the term 'slamdunk':

How the second post relates to anything I said in the first post I'm not sure, and I certainly can't see where I've changed my opinion, not that that isn't allowed, especially nine months later, after six new signings, and various other chanes made. And again nowhere did I say that people are naive to think we could finish midtable with Smith, nor did I say that we wouldn't become a midtable team without sacking him. And I've never said that finishing midtable was impossible, nor am I 'furious'.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

If anything what I said in the quoted post proves that I was right, we kept Smith and made some top quality signings and improved, so I'm far from bruised. The reaction to the quoted post does tell us something about the way people react to headlines, or in the case bullet points, without reading what is actually written, probably why football journalists use clickbait tactics, because that's basically what that post is that supposedly 'calls me out with supporting evidence' is, the bullet points claiming to clarify what I said, aren't what I said at all, not sure why that can't be admitted, it's not as if it's not there in front of people's eyes.

These are the bullet points claiming to clarity what I said:

• Smith had one of the strongest squads ever in the championship
  • We wont become a midtable team without sacking him because other teams will strengthen too
  • Anyone who thinks we will finish midtable with Smith is naive
  • We're now top half, despite you not believing it possible and...you're furious?

First one I did say he did have one of the strongest squads in the championship, second one I didn't say, I said we aren't going to improve keeping things as they are, I said we either need a new manager or to sign better quality players, I doubt anyone would have actually disagreed with that back in July, and signing better quality players is exacty what we did. Third one is pretty much the same as the second one, I never said that either, never mind a misquote saying that I said that is basically a lie, fourth point, well I've stated on here numerous times that a top half finish would be a good achievement, and never said anything about being furious.

Not that I want one, or expect one, but by rights I am probably owed an apology, claiming people have said things that they haven't said is pretty serious.

Â