Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I never actually said that 'Anyone who thinks we will finish midtable with Smith is naive ', so that's a lie, a misquote, and doesn't 'clariy my viewpoint' at all

I said anyone who thinks that we'll improve that much with just four new signings and keeping Smith is naive, but I also said we can improve by keeping Smith and signing more players of better quality than we already have, which is exactly what happened, so not sure what quoting that post is trying to prove.

Also bearing in mind that post was made on July 21s before we'd even made any signings, and was written in responce to people saying that we only needed four new players.

GIF by RealityTVGIFs

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, useless said:

It's not 'boom' or 'incredible work' because it's not what I actually said. 

Nah it is. Give it about half a year and you'll probably say you thought the same as well.

• Haha 2

We aren't going to go from a team that barely survived on 35 points to a comfortable midtable team by keeping things as they are and making a few signings, bearing in mind that not every signing works out and the other teams will be strengthening their teams as well.

We either needed to bring in a better coach to get better out of the players we already have with a few additions, or keep Smith and sign as many players as possible better than the ones we already have. I think people are being naive if they think we're going to improve that much with the same team, same manager, and only four additions, unless those four additions were genuine proven top quality, befitting of a club serious of challenging for a top half finish.

That's the quote

I never actually said

"Anyone who thinks we will finish midtable with Smith is naive"

or

"We wont become a midtable team without sacking him because other teams will strengthen too"

So again doesn't 'clarify my points' at all, in fact completely twists them and takes them out of context to make them say something completely different to what they actually say. A case of someone being desperate to find a post that contradicts another post and getting over excited seeing what they want to see. As I said the funny is you could have easily have found a contradictory post that I've written in the last few days, maybe today even without having to back to July and to post that doesn't even actually contradict what I wrote, in fact the post quoted is pretty much what has happened...

We kept Smith, signed more than four players, and some of them were genuine proven top quality and we have improved, I stand by my point that if we'd have only signed four players and if they weren't genuinte quality then we wouldn't have improved much, nothing outrageous about that, and nothing that has happened since has made that viewpoint look ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Would it have been to much to ask to get a win from Sheffield United with 10 men, Brighton, or even Burnley. Playing poor football lost us 12 points from those games, not a poor squad of players, same with Newcastle.

Everton lost both matches to Newcastle, lost at home to Fulham, and are currently on course to take one of six points against Burnley. Let me remind you they are ahead of us in the table. Sometimes it happens. We are a team who are in their second year back in the Premier League and clearly struggling for form/consistency after the covid outbreak. That latter part seems to be forgotten sometimes.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We aren't going to go from a team that barely survived on 35 points to a comfortable midtable team by keeping things as they are and making a few signings, bearing in mind that not every signing works out and the other teams will be strengthening their teams as well.

We either needed to bring in a better coach to get better out of the players we already have with a few additions, or keep Smith and sign as many players as possible better than the ones we already have. I think people are being naive if they think we're going to improve that much with the same team, same manager, and only four additions, unless those four additions were genuine proven top quality, befitting of a club serious of challenging for a top half finish.

That's the quote

I never actually said

"Anyone who thinks we will finish midtable with Smith is naive"

or

"We wont become a midtable team without sacking him because other teams will strengthen too"

So again doesn't 'clarify my points' at all, in fact completely twists them and takes them out of context to make them say something completely different to what they actually say. A case of someone being desperate to find a post that contradicts another post and getting over excited seeing what they want to see. As I said the funny is you could have easily have found a contradictory post that I've written in the last few days, maybe today even without having to back to July and to post that doesn't even actually contradict what I wrote, in fact the post quoted is pretty much what has happened...

We kept Smith, signed more than four players, and some of them were genuine proven top quality and we have improved, I stand by my point that if we'd have only signed four players and if they weren't genuinte quality then we wouldn't have improved much, nothing outrageous about that, and nothing that has happened since has made that viewpoint look ridiculous.

#MakeParaphrasingACapitalOffence

So which of our 5 signings were "genuine proven top quality"? Cash and Watkins who had never played in the top flight? Martinez who had half a season a few years short of 30? Barkley who got a move young and struggled to kick on? Or Traore who was out of form and favour at Lyon?

I have no doubt at all you have contradicted yourself in the last few days too, I just chucked a couple of words in the search and clicked on the 3rd result down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a-k said:

Everton lost both matches to Newcastle, lost at home to Fulham, and are currently on course to take one of six points against Burnley. Let me remind you they are ahead of us in the table. Sometimes it happens. We are a team who are in their second year back in the Premier League and clearly struggling for form/consistency after the covid outbreak. That latter part seems to be forgotten sometimes.

Don't be daft, Villa are the only team to struggle because Dean Smith doesn't use subs. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

#MakeParaphrasingACapitalOffence

So which of our 5 signings were "genuine proven top quality"? Cash and Watkins who had never played in the top flight? Martinez who had half a season a few years short of 30? Barkley who got a move young and struggled to kick on? Or Traore who was out of form and favour at Lyon?

I have no doubt at all you have contradicted yourself in the last few days too, I just chucked a couple of words in the search and clicked on the 3rd result down. 

hero GIF

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, a-k said:

We are also the youngest team in the league, inconsistency of results and/or performance can’t be a surprise

Well if you search my opinions of Cash and Watkins I'm sure you'll see that I said at the time that I thought that they were top quality and said I was as confident of them doing well in the premier league as I was about Mings, McGinn and Grealish doing well the season we went up, and yes despite his recent form Barkley does have proven top quality, Martinez was in brilliant form for Arsenal and most of their fans wanted to keep him as first choice and Chelsea were being linked with him as well, so again he was proven quality, Traore and and Sanson have both been regulars for champions league clubs, and both had excellent stats, so those two as well are top quality relative to the players that we already had.

Also you didn't 'paraphrase' me, you completey twisted what I said to say something different, i never said that  'we wont become a midtable team without sacking him because other teams will strengthen too'

I said we won't improve much if we keep the same manager and only sign four players and then went on to clarify in the same post unless those four players were proven quality. Well did sign more than four players and they were proven top quality.

'Anyone who thinks we will finish midtable with Smith is naive' also completely misquotes me as well and takes what I said out of context, I didn't say anything about midtable, nor did I say we would't be able to improve with Smith I only indicated that we needed to change the manager or buy better players to help Smith, which again is exactly what happened.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

I didn’t say we deserved to win, I said we should have won. As we were winning with 10 seconds left to play , I think that’s a reasonable assertion. We actually had more chances than Newcastle, and should have scored from two breakaways in the last 10 minutes. As I said before, we are still a work in progress and are heading in the right direction. We need to buy well and kick on next season. I’ve watched Villa for over 50 years, so there isn’t much I haven’t experienced with Villa. I’m still optimistic and have faith. After the last few years, I’ll take where we are now, and give Dean the time he’s more than earned to get us back to the top.

My apologies. You said that right after referring to Smith's interview, and I mistakenly thought that he had said it. My fault.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't wave your handbag about, I wasn't blaming your messiah🤣

Haha I feel sorry for you. 

Imagine supporting a club and not being able to enjoy the best season in a decade because of some petty feelings towards the manager delivering that best season. 

Chin up. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Smith actually said we shouldn’t have won or rather didn’t deserve to win over the whole game.

“We didn’t deserve to win the game over the 94 minutes. It wasn’t a game for the purists, it was a bit of an ugly game with not many completed passes and not many clear-cut chances.

“They probably had the better chances, but when you score a goal like we did in the 90th minute you should go and see it out.

My apologies. I quoted a post that I totally misread.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Well if you search my opinions of Cash and Watkins I'm sure you'll see that I said at the time that I thought that they were top quality and said I was as confident of them doing well in the premier league as I was about Mings, McGinn and Grealish doing well the season we went up, and yes despite his recent form Barkley does have proven top quality, Martinez was in brilliant form for Arsenal and most of their fans wanted to keep him as first choice and Chelsea were being linked with him as well, so again he was proven quality, Traore and and Sanson have both been regulars for champions league clubs, and both had excellent stats, so those two as well are top quality relative to the players that we already had.

Also you didn't 'paraphrase' me, you completey twisted what I said to say something different, i never said that  'we wont become a midtable team without sacking him because other teams will strengthen too'

I said we won't improve much if we keep the same manager and only sign four players and then went on to clarify in the same post unless those four players were proven quality. Well did sign more than four players and they were proven top quality.

'Anyone who thinks we will finish midtable with Smith is naive' also completely misquotes me as well and takes what I said out of context, I didn't say anything about midtable, nor did I say we would't be able to improve with Smith I only indicated that we needed to change the manager or buy better players to help Smith, which again is exactly what happened.

I really can't be bothered to do that.

You can moan about misquoting all you want, but there weren't quote marks around the supposed misquotes and there was a big grey box containing the exact words you wrote.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha I feel sorry for you. 

Imagine supporting a club and not being able to enjoy the best season in a decade because of some petty feelings towards the manager delivering that best season. 

Chin up. 

Shocking, are you sure your not Smith. 

I have not once said I have not enjoyed the season or blamed Smith for this loss of form. Although I will admit, from how we started, I am not really enjoying the football right now like many others on here, I wouldn't dare say that is Smith's fault, nothing to do with him whatsoever......................................happy!

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What a waste of time football must feel.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Shocking, are you sure your not Smith. 

I have not once said I have not enjoyed the season or blamed Smith for this loss of form. Although I will admit, from how we started, I am not really enjoying the football right now like many others on here, I wouldn't dare say that is Smith's fault, nothing to do with him whatsoever......................................happy!

All I've ever seen you do on here is moan, complain and have a dig at Smith in the match thread. If that's you being happy then fair enough. Smile on.

• Like 1

Â