Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

After the summer we need to see Deano keep kick on. That'll be 3 transfer windows prolly totalling £300 Million +

I actually like the guy despite what people think. He is a likable down to earth character and players obviously like him and plays for him, but if he can't take us where we belong i think even Smith himself will eventually step down for the good of the club.

I hope he can do it but i can't see him ever breaking into that top 6. That is based on a lack of a tactical nouse when plan A isn't working. Zero wins from losing positions is very telling and alarming. This is the reason Wolves is starting to lose their best players. They hit the ceiling with Nuno and players would prefer to move because they can't progress more under him. This is how you lose your best players. You can't stop progressing. Gareth Barry even admitted to this being the reason to why he left Villa. He would love to stay but we constantly bottled top 4 and we didn't win any trophies so he fel he had to leave to achieve that.

Our squad needs to be not so relient on Jack too. We've made some steps towards that this season with some cracking signings but it's alarming how flat we look without him. Nobody can replace Jack Grealish but a decent squad should be able to consistently get results even without him.

In that sense we are very similar to Man Utd in being overly relient on one individual. 

You dare to criticise me over Davis and you come out with nonsense constantly about Smith over his tenure.

”lack of tactical nouse”

”step down for the good of the club”

”can’t see him breaking into the top six”

Now whose being tiresome....(and wrong!)

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You dare to criticise me over Davis and you come out with nonsense constantly about Smith over his tenure.

”lack of tactical nouse”

”step down for the good of the club”

”can’t see him breaking into the top six”

Now whose being tiresome....(and wrong!)

Just put him on ignore like everyone else does. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Just put him on ignore like everyone else does. 

He’s still peeved that we beat his beloved Bielsa and Leeds so he’s going after Smith again.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Hi hoooooooooo silverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............................When he joined there were those that questioned whether he could get a team promoted after only managing Walsall and Brentford, last season there were doubts that he'd keep us up, this season there were again doubts that he'd keep us up or be good enough as a manager to take us to the next level, he's done all those things, so I'd be reluctant to doubt that with better players he can take us a stage further next season.

He's met or out performed all expectations since he's been here. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

There is no such thing as a managerial ‘ceiling’, what a dumb concept.

Well when  Di Matteo rocked up  I always thought his managerial ceiling was winning the champions league. 1 win in 10 for Villa was a bit of a come down.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, lexicon said:

Do you expect the manager of Aston Villa to be one of, if not the best in the world? 

Such a **** weird criticism. 

Its just one aspect, I am talking about....trying to make an overall comparison to pep , is ridiculous. I was just highlighting thats what the best does, reacts to the play.

The reactions from Pep is an endorsement of what players have been told, good or bad.....you don't have to do that, to be the best in the world, but it gives us spectators an inkling that they are doing what they are told.....as his passion reflects that.

our bench last night was just silent....so If the players were not playing to instructions, do you not think the manager would be frustrated and if he was frustrated, do you not think that might have shown.

I am merely making an observation, up for debate...........not a criticism....rest easy...Dean is safe with me.

18 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Surely @TRO you understand that preparation is the most fundamental path to victory. As said by Miyamoto Musashi and written into the Bushido principles, "Do not think dishonestly, the way is in training." Pep can be as passionately animated as he likes whilst delivering sideline instructions, but riddle me this, if his players had not prepared with any instructions prior to KO, would they, or would they not, spend the entire 90minutes focused on Pep's antics and guidance, rather than focused on the game unfolding before their very eyes, should they pay attention to Pep's intense gesturing and commentary during play?

“Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” - Bruce Lee

I am not saying any of that, because I agree with your points.

I think the point is being missed, maybe I never presented it well enough.

I am saying if instructions ar not being followed or a catalogue of errors are on display....its hard not to be animated, if you disapprove of it....when the camera's settle on our coaches they look shtum....no gesticulations, no finger pointing, no dicussions....just seems strange to me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, nick76 said:

Money isn’t everything but there is a world of difference between what Pep and his players should do compared to the rest of the world.  It should certainly be our aim but comparison is hard when Pep himself is allegedly earning 15-20m a year himself and his players cost a fortune, just his defence cost silly money....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12789663/pep-guardiola-man-city-spending/

D95578F4-4130-4FB8-A9AE-E60EDC7406EF.jpeg

but I am not making an overall comparison with Pep.....That is a false narrative.....That is what has been gleaned from making one observation of what we do and what Pep does, in relation to his reactions to whats happening during a game.

That is just one aspect, I am comparing, thats all.

i think its interesting to look at comparable results from last season.

In like for like fixtures we are 14 points better off than last season (39 points vs 25 points), but are 15 points better off at this point of the season versus last (25 games).

Something that raises a slight eyebrow, is that in our first 13 games this season, we did better in 6 games, the same in 4 games, and worse in 3 games compared to last season, this 13 game stint returned an average PPG of 1.92.

However in our last 12 games, we have only done better in 3 games, the same in 6 games, and worse in 3 games (ie: our last 12 games are very similar to our form last season), giving us an average of 1.16 points per game over those 12 games.

Basically our form for the last half of this season so far, is effectively a 44 point season, where as the first half of the season was champions league qualification level, big discrepancies between two halves of the season so far.

Basically, if we continue with the form of our last 12 games, we will finish on roughly 54 points.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

In like for like fixtures we are 14 points better off than last season (39 points vs 25 points), but are 15 points better off at this point of the season versus last (25 games).

Something that raises a slight eyebrow, is that in our first 13 games this season, we did better in 6 games, the same in 4 games, and worse in 3 games compared to last season, this 13 game stint returned an average PPG of 1.92.

However in our last 12 games, we have only done better in 3 games, the same in 6 games, and worse in 3 games (ie: our last 12 games are very similar to our form last season), giving us an average of 1.16 points per game over those 12 games.

Basically our form for the last half of this season so far, is effectively a 44 point season, where as the first half of the season was champions league qualification level, big discrepancies between two halves of the season so far.

Basically, if we continue with the form of our last 12 games, we will finish on roughly 54 points.

While i see your point and its fair enough bit I think our season will be a tale of 2 halves. Before the covid break we were playing great stuff and looked a good shout for a top 6 spot 

The unforced break we have looked sluggish at times and energy levels seem lower all around. Thankfully we are grinding out results which we didnt do last season 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not saying any of that, because I agree with your points.

I think the point is being missed, maybe I never presented it well enough.

I am saying if instructions ar not being followed or a catalogue of errors are on display....its hard not to be animated, if you disapprove of it....when the camera's settle on our coaches they look shtum....no gesticulations, no finger pointing, not dicussions....just seems strange to me.

I think this is an odd criticism having sat behind Dean and just watching the television, I can hear Dean instructing. 

He chooses to be less high/low and gives a general consistency in his approach which I don't think we can criticise too much given the results. And from people I work with I'd sooner calm and collected than hot headed (and publicly admonishing me). 

Think there's several ways to get your point across.... Otherwise Neil Warnock/Tim Sherwood would have a host of trophies in the cabinet. 

Edited by Dale

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

While i see your point and its fair enough bit I think our season will be a tale of 2 halves. Before the covid break we were playing great stuff and looked a good shout for a top 6 spot 

The unforced break we have looked sluggish at times and energy levels seem lower all around. Thankfully we are grinding out results which we didnt do last season 

i dunno m8, im not sold on the post covid break excuse, im on the fence but i almost think its not an excuse for our poor form over the last 12 games or so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

In a nutshell, I think tightening up at the back ( Our defence on the whole is smashing) but it has adversely affected our ability to score.

by an large 3/4  goals for have become 1-0's......now, I do like 1-0, so I am not complaining, but the fluidity up front has dissipated to a degree.

In general, I think our movement off the ball has deteriorated and our passing has become hap hazard, we give the ball away far too easily and the defence with Emi has become the star act.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dunno m8, im not sold on the post covid break excuse, im on the fence but i almost think its not an excuse for our poor form over the last 12 games or so.

We had 26 points in 15 games before Covid break and last 5 or 6 played great football. 29 goals in them games

13 points in 10 since Covid only one that we played  good attacking football which ironically we lost, only got 9 goals in the ten games since

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He's met or out performed all expectations since he's been here. 

He has done what has been expected of him, his done his job. With the money we have spent and one of the best players in the Premier League I would have expected midtable, especially how shite many teams have been this season and that's where we will finish. My frustration is, it looked like we was gonna have a stormer, it's now tailed off, with no real sense of the quality we started with, coming back.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dale said:

I think this is an odd criticism having sat behind Dean and just watching the television, I can hear Dean instructing. 

He chooses to be less high/low and gives a general consistency in his approach which I don't think we can criticise too much given the results. And from people I work with I'd sooner calm and collected than hot headed (and publicly admonishing me). 

Think there's several ways to get your point across.... Otherwise Neil Warnock/Tim Sherwood would have a host of trophies in the cabinet. 

Maybe, its just me missing the bits you see.

but are you saying Pep is hot headed and not calm and collected and admonishing.....when he put some time in to G Jesus the last match which they won 4-1

but, I think you too are missing my point.

I am not expecting our coaches to be like Tim Sherwood or Neil Warnock.....I would prefer, if good habits are to be emulated, maybe Pep is the one.....If Pep feels fit to animate his feelings towards events in a game, who am I to think he is wrong...I just get the notion ,they are not doing things to his liking.....I am merely saying, when Dean fronts the camera's in the after match interview, His comments are usually, Honest, explicit and transparent.......my point is, I don't quite see all that from him,when the game is on.

Maybe its a nondescript point, but it just seems a bit passive to me.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Hi hoooooooooo silverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............................When he joined there were those that questioned whether he could get a team promoted after only managing Walsall and Brentford, last season there were doubts that he'd keep us up, this season there were again doubts that he'd keep us up or be good enough as a manager to take us to the next level, he's done all those things, so I'd be reluctant to doubt that with better players he can take us a stage further next season.

I just don’t think Dean Smith is the man to make us win back-to-back Champions Leagues. He’s average at best, and should step down.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He has done what has been expected of him, his done his job. With the money we have spent and one of the best players in the Premier League I would have expected midtable, especially how shite many teams have been this season and that's where we will finish. My frustration is, it looked like we was gonna have a stormer, it's now tailed off, with no real sense of the quality we started with, coming back.

But all teams go through poor form even Man City at the start of the season were poor for them.  We are in our period of poor form.  

I said when we were flying that at some point we would go through poor form because everybody does, even the best.  

We were never going to keep that form and results, and just in the same point we’ll come out of this poor form that we are in at the moment.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

There will always be doubters its Human Nature.....just like there were those that thought Paul Lambert was the second coming....they went quiet too.

but its a forum, what is wrong with asking questions without the narrative turning so quickly to wanting him out.

None of us really know what goes on/happens at BMH and it is probably as less reported, than its ever been.....some stuff, is probably better that we don't know.......but being inquisitive, is natural.......we care.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

Â