Dean Smith

Demitri_C

One of those games...again. They score from a wayward shot that inadvertently becomes an assist and we do everything but score. Had the chances but didn't take them and even when we weren't creating chances we were doing the right things to do so only the quality was really lacking.

Wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see us bounce back and beat Wolves. We're one of those teams this season.

• Like 2

How do you address a problem like our chronic inconsistency? Is it a squad depth problem?

I don’t really blame Smith. Players were shite today. The continuing wastefulness is frustrating. Really need to add to the squad and add some other options. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Elmo was better than Guilbert last season. I don't think Guilbert wants to be back up, hence he's gone to another club. Just unfortunate we've lost Cash. 

Not for me he wasn't. I think Guilbert was involved in 7 out of our 9 wins last season despite only playing 25 games total, he must have had the highest win % in the squad. At times they all looked terrible before lockdown because we played like it was an NBA game, but with us being more solid now I think he'd slot in fine at RB as cover just by his pace and ability to get up and down the pitch.

He probably doesn't want to be backup, but he wasn't even that before Jan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, birdman said:

Not entirely as I would like to see Dean trying to instruct the players, shout at them and encourage them not just stand there looking grumpy! 

We’ve got an army of team coaches, coaches for every position, fitness coaches in their many guises, departments for data analysis, sports psychologists the list goes on but all we really need to do is a bit of shouting from the byline and smile. 

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well that backfired on me!

Maybe...  Sheffield did start brightly and we worked our way into the game thanks to the solidity. Had a penalty that wasn't given for no good reason. And when we were in control McGinn and Elmo lost the plot. Feel nakamba should have come off straight after the red card, not sure what we waited for. Minor things, we could have done to improve things,   but I think the starting team picked itself after last game.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it might be a step before that.  Without Jack we struggle to create chances.  For me Ollie is the second chance maker and really he should be on the end of it. Between McGinn and Targett just crossing into Ramsdale all night and nothing creative from Traore and Elmo, it’s concerning.

Yep and Ollie shouldn't be the second chance maker. I know hes great at running around with the ball left right and center but he's our main man and we need him up top in prime position to score goals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Not for me he wasn't. I think Guilbert was involved in 7 out of our 9 wins last season despite only playing 25 games total, he must have had the highest win % in the squad. At times they all looked terrible before lockdown because we played like it was an NBA game, but with us being more solid now I think he'd slot in fine at RB as cover just by his pace and ability to get up and down the pitch.

He probably doesn't want to be backup, but he wasn't even that before Jan.

I’d agree, I’m a bit baffled by Guilbert situation. He’s definitely a better right back than Elmo. 

• Thanks 1

just so bored of the Jeckyl and Hyde nature of our performances, would prefer we just got a few dour nil nil draws rather than playing amazingly one week and total shite the next.

Not blaming Smith purely, but still don't get how we are so inconsistent. Also we tend to win when we have less of the ball and less chances, baffles me.

25 minutes ago, birdman said:

What is killing us is our inability in front of goal. Even when Jack plays its the same. Somehow we need to get Ollie better service, to feet preferably!

I commented in the match thread.

I see the ball being either booted at Ollie too hard, too high, or too slow, then they wonder why sometimes he can't keep it.

One moment early in the game had me raging and summed it up for me.

He was on the right side up top by himself with the ball close to the touchline, 3 Sheffield players around him.

Not ONE player attempted to go over and recieve a pass, or offer him any support, and there was TIME as well!

Baffling.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Clearly isn't a top tier manager and will most likely never be.

As of now he is fine though. He is building the right foundations for a better manager to take us to the next level in a few years.

Yep, Allardyce will be available soon 

Get a flucking grip of yourself man

• Haha 1

Just now, VillanousOne said:

just so bored of the Jeckyl and Hyde nature of our performances, would prefer we just got a few dour nil nil draws rather than playing amazingly one week and total shite the next.

Not blaming Smith purely, but still don't get how we are so inconsistent. Also we tend to win when we have less of the ball and less chances, baffles me.

It’s probably true of a lot of teams this season. Outside Man City for the last 21 games and to some extent Man U, 

there hasn’t been a great deal of consistently anywhere much. It’s a strange season for all sorts of reasons, mainly none football ones. Still on the whole I’d take it. Certainly after last season. One thing that tonight did was remind us that we still have a long way to go. I don’t think that anyone within the club believes any different. 

1 minute ago, Villa 59 said:

Yep, Allardyce will be available soon 

Get a flucking grip of yourself man

Do you think he has the potential to become as tactically astute as a Pep, or a Wenger, or a Sir Alex? If not, he may just be paving the way for a better manager further down the line. Dean Smith ain't the Messiah.

40 minutes ago, Dale said:

Did more than enough to win the game. Can't spend too long stewing over a game we'd have won 99/100 times 

I don't think it was quite that. Closer to 50/50.

That first half wasn't too bad at all, the second was vile.

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't know what's going on but we're not even attractive to watch anymore. 

Our whole game seems to be to pump it forwards, we're more like prime 1988 Wimbledon than Manchester City. 

It was happening before Jack was injured too.  Our midfield is just nonexistent. 

I agree. Mentioned it a while ago weren't building through the middle much. I think it's a serious lack of mobility in the midfield that's the main issue. Seems McGinn could be permanently done from that ankle break, he simply cannot move. This is not the guy who got injured.

It's a mixture of the defence being really solid and Ollie being incredible at making something of hoofs. We've done a hell of a lot of lashing it or giving it to Jack and he does something.

• Like 2

We're a young team, and plenty of players having their first or second season in then PL. 

Expecting us the perform at the same high level every match isnt realistic. 

We've all ready taking huge strides compared to last season. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Do you think he has the potential to become as tactically astute as a Pep, or a Wenger, or a Sir Alex? If not, he may just be paving the way for a better manager further down the line. Dean Smith ain't the Messiah.

Well, he's shown that he has great potential! I can't think of any other manager that could have improved us so much in such a short period of time! Can you? 

I'll revisit this in a year's time before judging him further! For now, I'm more than happy with him!

Â