Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I actually don't blame Deano for this one at all.

My only suggestion is that, whilst Jack is out, we really should consider going 4 - 4 - 2 or having Davis on somehow, as his strength and hold up can create things.

As I said in the Match thread " That's performance gave me vibes of our worst under Bruce " but doesn't mean I blame Deano.

It's the constant, poor and aimless crosses and corners which made me think that.

We under estimate the drop from Cash to Elmo. Sending Guilbert out might have been a bad decision?

We also clearly need another creative player.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

Tbf it's not as if we looked that dangerous when it was 11 v 11 either. I don't think we suddenly become worse when we're against 11, we just struggle to break teams down when they park the bus.

I was actually o.k with how we played first half. Not great but McGinn should've scored early on and also Traore when he had that little run. They scored against the run of play from a very good move.

Second half though we hit the bar from Watkins header early on and then didn't do anything up to 85th minute. No flurry of corners like in injury time or decent one touch moves opening up space, was just lazy crosses out of play or into Ramsdale's hands so that part of the game was not well thought out at all well.

Whether that was manager or players on pitch not having enough about them to understand the situation we could argue about all night. It's a bad defeat whatever the opinion.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Glad Dean stayed with the same side, had a feeling he’d bring back in Ross and Luiz back in given the opposition but the team deserved a second game.

Well that backfired on me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We under estimate the drop from Cash to Elmo. Sending Guilbert out might have been a bad decision?

I can only think Guilbert wanted out. I don’t think Dean prefers Elmo over him.. or at least I hope that wasn’t the case.

• Like 1

Constantly underperforming against the division's lesser teams, when it happens this many times it's not bad luck, something is wrong, can ony think that it's a menality issue. Season pretty much over now, not getting relegated and not getting into Europe, might as well start giving some of the youngsters more of a chance.

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I can only think Guilbert wanted out. I don’t think Dean prefers Elmo over him.. or at least I hope that wasn’t the case.

Elmo played when Cash was suspended, another game we failed to score in v Burnley.

Freddy wasn't even making the bench some games. Baffling IMO, he's absolutely miles clear of Elmo, it's an insane decision. 

Just now, birdman said:

What is killing us is our inability in front of goal. Even when Jack plays its the same. Somehow we need to get Ollie better service, to feet preferably!

I think it might be a step before that.  Without Jack we struggle to create chances.  For me Ollie is the second chance maker and really he should be on the end of it. Between McGinn and Targett just crossing into Ramsdale all night and nothing creative from Traore and Elmo, it’s concerning.

• Like 1

Really poor tonight. I don't need to calm down either because I half expected it tbh. One serious criticism I have is the length of time he pisses about looking like he needs everyone's advise on what to do in game. Other than that meh! We are a toothless team without Jack. Any notion we can cash in or let him go anytime soon and be okay is foolhardy. We are great defensively but shit up top without the Messiah. Absolutely no creativity or decisiveness in the final third.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Doesn't look like we have much of a game plan without Jack. No ability to play through teams, long and wide every time. 

Yet, a "game plan" was exactly how we won away at Leeds. 

Look, tonight was not pretty. For me, the reason we didn't take advantage when playing against 10 men is simple - we didn't stretch them. They were happy to jump and head clear cross after cross. We needed to get to the byline more and cut the ball back - make them face their own goal. We just kept doing the same thing over and over. 

Let's not, as fans, start showing ourselves up by being over-critical. This squad beat the champions 7-2. We've won our fair share for where we are as a club. Let's be respectful and hope they learn from this. Deano is one of us. He'll let them all know that was not good enough. Jack and Shaky will remind them it is not good enough. 

What these performances show is what we are short of - someone with guile, other than Jack. Rashica (sorry to bring up that ghost of summer past) was rumoured and, had he signed, may well have made that difference in games like tonight. That is what we need to be looking at in the summer. Another player who can do something different and make things happen. 

Tonight, other than getting to the byline, I thought we could have done other things such as:

Make subs earlier.

Put Trez on and play Traore where Ramsey was. 

Bring Luiz on for Nakamba - I don't think that was the kind of game for a newbie although, I'm not willing to write Sanson's ability off when he hasn't even started a game. 

Lessons to be learned by all and, hopefully, it'll make us stronger. Just please all remember that we are doing better than expected this season. Night's like this won't define us, they'll only make us stronger. ❤️💪💙

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 3

We’re a better team when we don’t have the ball and teams have to break us down. We saw it against Leeds and Arsenal. You could argue Sheffield United did to us what we did to other teams: 

There’s still room for a lot of improvement. 

• Like 1

Just now, AndyM3000 said:

Elmo played when Cash was suspended, another game we failed to score in v Burnley.

Freddy wasn't even making the bench some games. Baffling IMO, he's absolutely miles clear of Elmo, it's an insane decision. 

Elmo was better than Guilbert last season. I don't think Guilbert wants to be back up, hence he's gone to another club. Just unfortunate we've lost Cash. 

I don't blame Smith for the performance at all. I think the game was done the moment they got a red card. They put every man in their box and there was just no breaking through that at all no matter what Smith did.

Our crosses and deliveries were poor but various times it felt like even if the Villa player somehow got to the ball he would be surrounded by so many Sheffield players that all he could do was rely on a bit of luck. 

They may be bottom of the table, but Sheffield exuded the air of a disciplined team. They defended very very well in that last 30 mins and earned that victory.

• Like 2

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't blame Smith for the performance at all. I think the game was done the moment they got a red card. They put every man in their box and there was just no breaking through that at all no matter what Smith did.

Our crosses and deliveries were poor but various times it felt like even if the Villa player somehow got to the ball he would be surrounded by so many Sheffield players that all he could do was rely on a bit of luck. 

They may be bottom of the table, but Sheffield exuded the air of a disciplined team. They defended very very well in that last 30 mins and earned that victory.

We were poor but sometimes you have to give the opposition credit. Even if they are bottom of the league. 

Â