Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, villa4europe said:

Shit result, some awful performances and yet we should have won, we had a lot of chances 

Blame the players rather than Smith 

His team selection for poor for this game.

Just now, villa4europe said:

Shit result, some awful performances and yet we should have won, we had a lot of chances 

Blame the players rather than Smith 

Yeah, no idea how you can blame the manager for this one. We had the chances and they did **** all. One moment of elmo losing his man and some awful finishing and crossing. 

• Like 1

Thought Dean did what he could. We were unlucky not to score, outrageously unlucky not to have a penalty,  and the lads on the pitch should have had enough to win.  Not his fault. Refereeing and lack of quality on the pitch was the issue.

• Like 3

It was one of them.

I actually didn't think we were that bad first half but second half we certainly were and we basically wasted 10 minutes just deciding whether to get on Barkley (who was preparing to come on just before the red card) for some reason.

Would love to know if we actually ever go 11 v 10 drills in training as sadly past a co-incidence now we're always so bad whenever opposition get someone sent off. Only game where that didn't happen was West Brom and we were already 1 up so task was easier.

We only showed proper composure getting some decent moves together in the 89th minute and that's not good enough especially against the standard of opposition.

Not really sure what happens to us on Wednesday evenings but our record has been abysmal so far in 2021.

Edited by VillaChris

Just now, Mantis said:

We seem to have become quite toothless again which is very concerning, and it was a problem even before Grealish got injured.

I think we created much more tonight than we did in previous games. Is a concern that our quality in the final 3rd was so low. 

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Restricted them to next to nothing and we had more than enough chances to score, changes were good and not too late imo. Don’t really see what he got wrong tbh.

As has been said this is on the players.

Wasted a half of football with an overly defensive midfield. That's on Dean. 

This doesn't excuse the individual performances, mind you 

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Restricted them to next to nothing and we had more than enough chances to score, changes were good and not too late imo. Don’t really see what he got wrong tbh.

Not entirely as I would like to see Dean trying to instruct the players, shout at them and encourage them not just stand there looking grumpy! 

Playing bottom of the table who was down to 10 men, didn’t even look like scoring, his subs again was baffling why not take elmohamady off as they wasn’t attacking but no takes off a winger for Davis so then have no one on the right 

I don't know what's going on but we're not even attractive to watch anymore. 

Our whole game seems to be to pump it forwards, we're more like prime 1988 Wimbledon than Manchester City. 

It was happening before Jack was injured too.  Our midfield is just nonexistent. 

Just now, VillaChris said:

It was one of them.

I actually didn't think we were that bad first half but second half we certainly were and we basically wasted 10 minutes just deciding whether to get on Barkley (who was preparing to come on just before the red card) for some reason.

Would love to know if we actually ever go 11 v 10 drills in training as sadly past a co-incidence now we're always so bad whenever opposition get someone sent off. Only game where that didn't happen was West Brom and we were already 1 up so task was easier.

We only showed proper composure getting some decent moves together in the 89th minute and that's not good enough especially against the standard of opposition.

Tbf it's not as if we looked that dangerous when it was 11 v 11 either. I don't think we suddenly become worse when we're against 11, we just struggle to break teams down when they park the bus.

Just now, jasoncb said:

His team selection for poor for this game.

Was it? 

The only thing I didn't like was Nakamba who I don't rate in games where we have more possession, should have been Luiz who maybe isn't 100% and we just don't know it

Should have played Barkley... We all know what the current opinion of him is, the suggestion of him changing that game is using hindsight to create an argument

Sanson didn't look ready so his limited minutes look like Smith has been doing the right thing all along

Maybe Kesler for elmo but that's hindsight too

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Davis should’ve come atleast after 70 minutes. 

Â