Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Half of them are literally recovering from coronavirus ffs. 

And yet I thought there were only 2 or 3 of them that looked like that and 1 of them was Barkley who you would expect to look like that anyone with his injury recovery

We didn't look bad at all

City looked excellent 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Completely disagree

We weren't our usual attacking selves but we certainly weren't poor

What we did was set ourselves up to defend, we played incredibly deep, we let city have the ball in positions where they couldn't hurt us and then defended excellently in areas that they could

Its a tactic, its one that we don't use often and one that we've played badly before, tonight we chose to play a certain way and we played it well, the shame is that going forward we looked like a team who hadn't played for 3 weeks due to corona 

We didn't go toe to toe with city because we knew we couldn't 

I'd rather lose 4-0 and look like someone who is out there to play football, than lose 2-0 and look like something managed by BSA. 

But each to their own. It's okay to see things differently. 

One of the things I really like about Deano is that he always sets us up to go for it. He's even spoken about that several times. Today he didn't even try.  Not for me. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The interesting thing in his interview isn't the clown comment its the accusation that he's being treated differently to other managers

Expect the FA to want an explanation 

And I hope villa give them a very well thought out comprehensive one detailing how shit they all are 

Yes I picked up on this and wanted to know more. He clearly thinks we are not treated fairly but I’m surprised he thought it was personal to him.

Possibly because he comes across as such a nice guy, which I bet he is. So maybe this will turn out to be a good thing if the officials realise he is not such a pushover and will be noisier about decisions that don’t go our way. 

what happens to him re the red?

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely disagree there. We have played some fantastic football this season, but today we were poor methinks. We worked hard. Had a few great counters, but on another day City would be 5-6 up.

I am not sure whether we didn’t try to play football or City just outclassed us today.

We did little on the ball. Lots of hoofing. Key players contributed little. Grealish not on it. Barkley poor. McGinn misplacing passes all over the place.

Heroic defending and blocking at times, but that's about it.

Poor? Are you **** kidding?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd rather lose 4-0 and look like someone who is out there to play football, than lose 2-0 and look like something managed by BSA. 

One of the things I really like about Deano is that he always sets us up to go for it. He's even spoken about that several times. Today he didn't even try.  Not for me. 

I'd rather we could mix it up and play each game on its own merit

Battening down the hatches away vs the best team in the league then playing your stuff in your home games has basically won Mourinho league titles in 4 countries and 2 champions leagues 

We defend vs man City away and then we go all out at home to Newcastle, that's smart football, don't lose away, win at home and we came very close to that tonight 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Completely disagree

We weren't our usual attacking selves but we certainly weren't poor

What we did was set ourselves up to defend, we played incredibly deep, we let city have the ball in positions where they couldn't hurt us and then defended excellently in areas that they could

Its a tactic, its one that we don't use often and one that we've played badly before, tonight we chose to play a certain way and we played it well, the shame is that going forward we looked like a team who hadn't played for 3 weeks due to corona 

We didn't go toe to toe with city because we knew we couldn't 

We were very sloppy at times, AND I don't understand why we were trying to ping longballs to Jacks head at one point.

HOWEVER, I factor in the rustiness and the class and relentlessness of the opposition as well.

Our overall defensive performance was brilliant, our decision making on many occasions was not.

If we were a bit sharper and made better decisions we very much could have done a smash and grab.

A couple of terrible moments from Barkley in promising positions stand out to me.

Still positives to take though, we won't be playing opposition like that every week, and we are well capable of smashing most in this league.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

A precedent has been set then. Plan for Watkins when we come up a defence who likes to bring the ball down - tell him to lurk behind the line and wait for the defender to take a ‘deliberate touch’ then tackle him from behind or they’ll have to clear it.

It happens almost every single game. And the flag always always goes up and no one bats an eye.

It will go up against Watkins if we do this.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Disagree. The problem today was that we didn't pass the ball fast enough and we didn't work hard enough off the ball when in possession. For me it was purely a fitness issues and the fact Man City were in full flow. Apart from that thought the effort was fantastic. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We were very sloppy at times, AND I don't understand why we were trying to ping longballs to Jacks head at one point.

HOWEVER, I factor in the rustiness and the class and relentlessness of the opposition as well.

Our overall defensive performance was brilliant, our decision making on many occasions was not.

If we were a bit sharper and made better decisions we very much could have done a smash and grab.

A couple of terrible moments from Barkley in promising positions stand out to me.

Still positives to take though, we won't be playing opposition like that every week, and we are well capable of smashing most in this league.

Should probably also factor in the corona 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely disagree there. We have played some fantastic football this season, but today we were poor methinks. We worked hard. Had a few great counters, but on another day City would be 5-6 up.

I am not sure whether we didn’t try to play football or City just outclassed us today.

We did little on the ball. Lots of hoofing. Key players contributed little. Grealish not on it. Barkley poor. McGinn misplacing passes all over the place.

Heroic defending and blocking at times, but that's about it.

You told me you'd given up smoking that crack pipe!

• Haha 3

Just now, bobzy said:

We defended brilliantly

Completely agree. I just don't think that alone qualifies for a great performance, or a good performance for that matter. We have so much attacking talent out there and we didn't even try to make use of it. 

Or maybe City just is that much better than us. Not entirely impossible. 

That was a great performance.

It's hard against teams as good as City and to be honest it looks like we'd got away with enough to battle to a point.

Robbed.

I wouldn't want to be in Steve Bruce's shoes on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You told me you'd given up smoking that crack pipe!

No its just that a Leeds fan posing as a Villa fan had been hogging it for a few days. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Completely agree. I just don't think that alone qualifies for a great performance, or a good performance for that matter. We have so much attacking talent out there and we didn't even try to make use of it. 

Or maybe City just is that much better than us. Not entirely impossible. 

We had more shots against Man City tonight than any other side has managed against them this season.

I don’t know what game you watched. 

• Like 2

Jon Moss was the ref for the Fernandes lunge on Konsa which turned into a penalty, the Arsenal game when they beat us last season with some dodgy refereeing and also the Liverpool game when he didnt send off Mane

I think SMith might have a point about him

• Like 3

Â