Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Well done Deano. First Villa manager to win one since O’Neill. Well deserved. 👏 

Has it seriously been that long?

I guess Deano must have won it in the championship during the 10 game winning streak, but in the prem no one? Just further shows how dull have the previous 10 years have been 

On 15/01/2021 at 18:51, Junxs said:

Has it seriously been that long?

I guess Deano must have won it in the championship during the 10 game winning streak, but in the prem no one? Just further shows how dull have the previous 10 years have been 

I think Remi Garde come close...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jbvilla909 said:

After his comments in the last interview, I wonder who will actually be available to play Wednesday, doesn't sound like the whole squad will be back in time 

It has come to a point where we just have to get on with it now.

If we have to leave out 5-6 first teamers then so be it.

We aren't in any relegation trouble and we are unlikely finishing in the top 6 anyways.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We aren't in any relegation trouble and we are unlikely finishing in the top 6 anyways.

We do for sure, we have a lot of league games to fill in 

We have a chance of top six tho, it's still very tight, just needs us to go on a decent run 

• Like 1

Correct, not yet you're not.

But only 13pts clear of Fulham and played a game more.

Besides, I don't know what gave you the impression you would finish top half this season anyway?

🤪

Yes and No.  

We are only playing Man City this Wednesday because we agreed to delay the 12th September fixture because they came back late because of last seasons champions league run.

Feels like we delayed because they were ‘tired’ versus we will play, without some players due to a global pandemic and our players suffering from it so can’t play, against their full first team squad who are ok.  

Feels a little unfair!  

All because we have to get on with it, yet we didn’t have to just get on with it on the 12th September for them but we do for us for now....hmmm...

Will be hard to take if we just lose and then miss out on European football (unlikely I know) by 1 point.  Unlikely to get anywhere near European places but in terms of Man City, we have beaten Liverpool and Arsenal, and drawn against Chelsea so who knows.  Obviously won’t happen with potentially 5 or 6 missing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Cant agree, Our position and current world circumstances and the fact that we could qualify to europe, I say play all the bloody strings we can and hold of games if there are loop holes.

If we end up with a ton of games to play all at once for weeks on end I'd rather us field a first strong eleven against these teams and gain some victory.

On the other hand if we do as you suggest, we screw up our chances of europe, the only good thing that comes with just going for it with what we have is that we see more youth play, which is fantastic.

As a club though at the moment we need to move forward up that ladder and only way to do that is to do what other clubs have done after there covid scare and wait for our best to be back. We dont have the luxury of fielding an excellent second eleven like UTD, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Pool. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

i think the prem rules dictate you have to play with 14 fit players, i think the only reason the everton game was postphoned was the training ground had been closed and the players had no time together. We'll definitely just be getting on with it wednesday.

18 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i think the prem rules dictate you have to play with 14 fit players, i think the only reason the everton game was postphoned was the training ground had been closed and the players had no time together. We'll definitely just be getting on with it wednesday.

Sorry, i read your post hastily, i thought you said 14 ft players.....in which case we would all have a bit of a problem.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

The last time Dean had a covid break to things over Villa came out very improved. 🤞 He has worked a couple new wrinkles while in quarantine. 

Yeah you can bet the coaching staff haven’t  been standing still in this 2 week enforced break. I expect a lot of planning and analysis has been happening to get us the best possible shape for this run of games. 

17 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yes and No.  

We are only playing Man City this Wednesday because we agreed to delay the 12th September fixture because they came back late because of last seasons champions league run.

Feels like we delayed because they were ‘tired’ versus we will play, without some players due to a global pandemic and our players suffering from it so can’t play, against their full first team squad who are ok.  

Feels a little unfair!  

All because we have to get on with it, yet we didn’t have to just get on with it on the 12th September for them but we do for us for now....hmmm...

Will be hard to take if we just lose and then miss out on European football (unlikely I know) by 1 point.  Unlikely to get anywhere near European places but in terms of Man City, we have beaten Liverpool and Arsenal, and drawn against Chelsea so who knows.  Obviously won’t happen with potentially 5 or 6 missing.

I think it was better that we haven’t played City by then. Our 4 wins start might not have come if we began with a loss. 
For me, City is in another level than other teams. They go into bad runs because of their focus, tactics...etc. But in their day I fear them the most. 
I used to tell my friends that I don’t mind playing any of the top 6 (last season) apart from City. 
They’ll likely score more than one which makes it hard to get back. 
I know some of their games this season with the failing to score a lot, but they’ve improved a lot defensively.

Saying all of that, I think with the right tactics and some of luck with us to score early on. We could get out of it with something. These seem to be Watkins games!

Â