Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

He put them out in the 3rd round last season vs Everton, he doesn't care for the domestic cups. Would ld prefer then abolished

Normally I would want us to give it a go but when you start against one of the world best teams and your players desperately need a rest it makes sense to chuck the second string out.

From what i can see, this is the 5th best start to a top flight season since the early 90s - - - omg thats 30 years.....where does the time go.  (Villa - played 15 games)

93/94 & 98/99 - 30 points after 15 games. (finished 10th & 6th)

95/96 & 07/08 - 27 points after 15 games. (finished 4th & 6th)

20/21 - 26 points after 15 games. (finish tbc ofc)

09/10 & 08/09 - 25 points after 15 games. (finished 6th & 6th)

01/02 - 24 points after 15 games (finished 8th)

06/07 - 23 points after 15 games (finished 11th)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

We’re already playing without fear, were trying to win every game , most teams would have sat back against utd yesterday we went for it and deserved a point tbf

I agree also I think teams that go out for the win end up losing more games than those who don’t but I also think they pick up more points over a season.

Its obviously more fun to watch as well.

11 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

We’re already playing without fear, were trying to win every game , most teams would have sat back against utd yesterday we went for it and deserved a point tbf

I agree we are playing without fear, we as fans are probably more nervous than the team. However there’s a difference between playing without fear and being naive and gung-ho. That’s what we were like in the early part of last season before fear and lack of confidence really got hold of us. After lockdown we played a more measured game and that’s what Dean has said, it’s a case of achieving the right balance between attack and defence. 

This season we have continued with this balanced approach but the players in the squad from last season have grown and lost some of the naivety and those coming into the team have brought quality and have the advantage of having settled players around them. I think we would have liked to sign one or two more last summer but a combination of ffp and not wanting to introduce too many players at once meant we held back a bit. Whether the type of players we want will be gettable this month or we’ll have to wait until the summer we’ll see soon enough. Either way we’ll be building from a much stronger base than the last few windows. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not really sure if it's that difficult.

What I'm saying is that in our tactic it will always be the midfields job to supply the majority of goals. That may be one man or all 5.

Which the stats show as well. You simply are incorrect.

Your original point was that Smiths tactics were designed that Ramsey is more likely to score than Watkins - this is clearly wrong

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Your original point was that Smiths tactics were designed that Ramsey is more likely to score than Watkins - this is clearly wrong

Once again you're wrong. As Ramsey wasn't specified and doesn't play. What I said was "midfielders". I'm unsure how many times I need to write that for you to grasp it. 

And yes it's true. Whether it's 451, 4231 or 4141, or a fluid mix of it, it's hugely unlikely the striker will outscore your midfield trident unless it's a very solid target man. And where we don't have that we don't have a lot of crosses going either. We are much more fluid and short in our passing. So our midfield IS more likely to score goals for us than a striker that's alone against 3-5 defenders. And that stats back it up. 

On 02/01/2021 at 12:33, Tayls said:

I’m a bit flat after the defeat yesterday. It just feels like an exact copy of the god knows how many years when it comes to playing Utd. I expected us to lose. We lost. 

I hope it’s not the beginning of a bad run, we have some tough games in a row in the league and could well end up with zero points come the end of the month. That will have a massive impact on confidence/morale etc. 

I don’t know what I was expecting really, maybe I was over confident we would get a result based on recent performances. But instead of feeling good about the fact we played well (we had more possession than them - when has that ever happened?!) , I just feel like we could end up getting ourselves back towards the wrong end of the table and scrapping for points again... 

Hope not. Lots of work to be done. 

We'd have to lose 10 in a row to be in serious danger of relegation. Simply not going to happen. I would expect points from Burnley and Everton games and think if we're on it defensively Spurs game will be a draw so no reason to panic at all imo although of course no way of knowing which games we'd lose Targett, Jack or SJM for given they're all on 4 yellows and that would impact on things.

Think Southampton away right at end of the month will be very interesting as they always give us major problems with how they play so interested what we do to counter that. A new signing or two by then would also help.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We'd have to lose 10 in a row to be in serious danger of relegation. Simply not going to happen. I would expect points from Burnley and Everton games and think if we're on it defensively Spurs game will be a draw so no reason to panic at all imo although of course no way of knowing which games we'd lose Targett, Jack or SJM for given they're all on 4 yellows and that would impact on things.

Think Southampton away right at end of the month will be very interesting as they always give us major problems with how they play so interested what we do to counter that. A new signing or two by then would also help.

If you now jinxed us I will travel to Brum and find you. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm honestly not too concerned. We're playing exceptionally well and we didn't fall into a rut after losing 4 out of 5 earlier in the season.

That's a really good point. People were starting to panic a bit after we lost at West Ham and a few were predicting us to start to fall towards bottom 6 but the squad kept their heads, saw how well they were playing generally in the games and we had a fantastic December.

It could well be a struggle for wins in January but we are playing most of the top teams in quick succession so most teams in the league would struggle playing them at all once. Loads of winnable fixtures in February and March.

Jose Mourinho, gives Dean Smith the stamp of approval. Apparently, Villa are his favourite team to watch. " They have some great players and are very well coached. " 

I think there's an honesty about us that is very endearing to the neutral. 

Judging by what Dean Smith said at half time to his players , assuming it to be correct reporting, we have nothing to worry about.

He knows exactly what he wants and he didn't get it first half and he let them know, in no uncertain terms.....and thats on the back of an overall, not bad performance.

Fair play Dean.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Jose Mourinho, gives Dean Smith the stamp of approval. Apparently, Villa are his favourite team to watch. " They have some great players and are very well coached. " 

I think there's an honesty about us that is very endearing to the neutral. 

We are also the next team Spurs face in the PL which of course makes the timing of his praise no coincidence 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

We are also the next team Spurs face in the PL which of course makes the timing of his praise no coincidence 

Surely not!?!? Are you suggesting that Mourinho is playing mind games??. Whatever next Scumchester United get dubious penalties?

• Haha 2

On 03/01/2021 at 05:20, paul514 said:

I agree also I think teams that go out for the win end up losing more games than those who don’t but I also think they pick up more points over a season.

Its obviously more fun to watch as well.

I think its knowing WHEN to attack and WHEN to defend.....The overall ethos can still be to go for the win, but its game management that dictates.

Dean always goes for the win, but his teams now have more Nous in relation to the above.....there is still room for improvement, he has already endorsed that.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2021 at 07:32, DaveAV1 said:

I agree we are playing without fear, we as fans are probably more nervous than the team. However there’s a difference between playing without fear and being naive and gung-ho. That’s what we were like in the early part of last season before fear and lack of confidence really got hold of us. After lockdown we played a more measured game and that’s what Dean has said, it’s a case of achieving the right balance between attack and defence. 

This season we have continued with this balanced approach but the players in the squad from last season have grown and lost some of the naivety and those coming into the team have brought quality and have the advantage of having settled players around them. I think we would have liked to sign one or two more last summer but a combination of ffp and not wanting to introduce too many players at once meant we held back a bit. Whether the type of players we want will be gettable this month or we’ll have to wait until the summer we’ll see soon enough. Either way we’ll be building from a much stronger base than the last few windows. 

I concur.

I would suspect, with the new Strain of Virus scuppering any plans for the return of fans, resulting c 20 mill loss alone.....with the Brexit affects on signing players from abroad.....I will be surprised if any marquee signings are likely.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

No worries, I had a dream that we went 7-0 up against them by half time. Dele Alli scored the last one for us so you can expect his signing to completed any day now. He refused to celebrate his goal though.

Edited by fightoffyour

Â