Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I love Deano but, tonight, I thought his first sub was wrong. Yes, take off Traore but, I would have moved Watkins wide right and put Davis on up front. It wasn't the right game to see Ramsey come on and it showed. We ended up rectifying it by having to take off El Ghazi and by doing that he took off both of the guys who have been scoring for us lately. 

Disappointing not to come away with at least a point but yet again we've been more than a match for one of the top sides. We can give everyone a game in this league. 

What's seriously going to hurt us is our complete lack of squad depth. The only options Smith has really are Ramsey and Davis. 

• Like 1

We need some better players to bring on that can affect games.

The game was good, but I really got the impression we were our own worst enemy and the only way Man utd was going to score was through us gifting it them, very annoying.

They didnt deserve that but I suppose there quality speaks against ours that they made the most out of nothing, while we carried on struggling to put the ball in the net apart from the Traore goal.

I am gutted and not because we played bad because we played better than them for most of the game, just so happens I'm gutted because of two very poor decisions that cost us two goals.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

This guy deserves so much praise. We’ve just gone toe to toe with utd and feel unlucky drawing. We keep on improving under his stewardship, yes he can be late with subs, but that’s more down to quality of bench than him.

We will be blasted in the media now for a bit in a game we could of won if quality had of shown. We was only done by ourselves and it can happen to anyone.

I think UTD were very lucky to be fair, that shouldn't of been the scoreline tonight but as usual the goals went against us in a perfect way for them from a couple of bad choices.

We put them on so much pressure and if we had of scored a few of the many chances we had l, this whole affair with utd tonight wouldn't be leaving me frustrated, because I feel very frustrated.

Great performance overall though and while I say a couple of bad choices let us down, we really deserved something from that and all the lads and Smith did wonderful overall.

18 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We need some better players to bring on that can affect games.

The game was good, but I really got the impression we were our own worst enemy and the only way Man utd was going to score was through us gifting it them, very annoying.

They didnt deserve that but I suppose there quality speaks against ours that they made the most out of nothing, while we carried on struggling to put the ball in the net apart from the Traore goal.

I am gutted and not because we played bad because we played better than them for most of the game, just so happens I'm gutted because of two very poor decisions that cost us two goals.

I had this feeling also. We have good players but they are better in and around the penalty area.

Just cleaner and more clinical.

I think it will come though....wether we buy experience or gain it,I’m sure we are on our way back.

It's absolutely crazy how much we've kicked on this season. Honestly wouldn't have minded being edged out by a goal of a side with United's quality given how good the game was, just stings that a nonsense penalty like that is what did us in.

Only thing we're lacking is depth, obviously. Brilliant performance on the whole but when you're blowing late in a game and Ramsey and Davis are the players Smith had to turn to that's when you see where the limitations are. Barkley, Trez, possibly Wesley returning will obviously aid that but if there's one or two targets that we could get through the door this month then we really can aim high at this rate.

• Like 4

4 points over christmas was certainly acceptable with Chelsea and United away and Palace with 10 men. Near the end the players were shatttered but thats not on Smith, they fought to the end and a credit to the management 

• Like 2

He's an absolute credit to the club and show's what sticking with your manager through the tough times can provide.

We've lost the game this evening but we went toe to toe tonight with one of the most potent attacking line-ups in European football and pushed them all the way. 

Dean, you're a credit to this club and thank you to the owners for sticking with you when many of us (myself included) thought we'd lost our way and were doomed. 

This guy has demonstrated how over time he can organise and set up a team to function effectively against others with arguably more talent. More transfer windows and the time to work with top talent to his instructions will this club pushing where we all want to be. The guy is humble despite how evidently talented he is. 

Should we suffer bad form, let's not despair and remember how much he can turn average players into gold over a longer period of time.

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

We will be blasted in the media now for a bit in a game we could of won if quality had of shown. We was only done by ourselves and it can happen to anyone.

I think UTD were very lucky to be fair, that shouldn't of been the scoreline tonight but as usual the goals went against us in a perfect way for them from a couple of bad choices.

We put them on so much pressure and if we had of scored a few of the many chances we had l, this whole affair with utd tonight wouldn't be leaving me frustrated, because I feel very frustrated.

Great performance overall though and while I say a couple of bad choices let us down, we really deserved something from that and all the lads and Smith did wonderful overall.

Your right, but it's one step at a time. We are 3-4 quality players away from a very good team.

5 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I love Deano but, tonight, I thought his first sub was wrong. Yes, take off Traore but, I would have moved Watkins wide right and put Davis on up front. It wasn't the right game to see Ramsey come on and it showed. We ended up rectifying it by having to take off El Ghazi and by doing that he took off both of the guys who have been scoring for us lately. 

Looking for a goal and you move our striker to the wing and put in his place a guy that can’t score.....no chance.  I think given the options, Dean made the right choice.  Our problem is lack of options on the bench.

• Like 2

Â