Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree this is what may catch up with us but at the moment our players seem extremely fit.

I’ve noticed without the ball we’re becoming quite an intelligent team. We let the opposition  have the ball where they are not so dangerous. Whilst we try to press as a team it’s not done in a way that will tire a team during the season like a Biesla style would.   We’re also excellent on the break. 

I also noticed that as a team we have made the least tackles in the league. Yet we have the second best defence.  Not really sure what to make of that but found it interesting. 

We’re also second in the league for big chances missed with only City ahead of us. 29 in total although it’s probably subjective as to what counts as a big miss. But still it’s not as if we’ve been clinical. 

Can't remember who it was, but someone said "if you need to make a tackle, you made a mistake".

Was it Maldini???

Anyway, the low tackle numbers could be down to our improved pressing, compact play and letting teams have the ball in low percentage areas, then clearing the ball safely, or winning it back via press and oponent misplaced pass.

Remember all of those above do not involve a "tackle", but yes, very interesting stat and i also don't know exactly how we managed it, im just spit balling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree this is what may catch up with us but at the moment our players seem extremely fit.

I’ve noticed without the ball we’re becoming quite an intelligent team. We let the opposition  have the ball where they are not so dangerous. Whilst we try to press as a team it’s not done in a way that will tire a team during the season like a Biesla style would.   We’re also excellent on the break. 

I also noticed that as a team we have made the least tackles in the league. Yet we have the second best defence.  Not really sure what to make of that but found it interesting. 

We’re also second in the league for big chances missed with only City ahead of us. 29 in total although it’s probably subjective as to what counts as a big miss. But still it’s not as if we’ve been clinical. 

That is very interesting, I would have thought that suggested good positioning or perhaps good options for the outball from the clearances (balls out to the wide forwards)

14 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you’re wrong on this. It’s very hard to quantify the amount a coach contributes but there have been a lot of very talented players in many sports that for various reasons haven’t achieved their full potential. A change in coaching has brought big improvements in players no matter how talented they already were. 

I often think, why do world class tennis players or golfers change their coaches? Even why do they need a coach? What can you teach a Nadal or a Tiger Woods? However they all have them and often change them, so they must make a difference or why bother? 

Fair enough all about opinions, you are right it's very hard to quantify the amount a coach contributes but I'd say most golf and tennis players change coach because of a coaches reputation and they feel they can't progress with there current one, football is different most players don't have a choice. DS is not renowned for bringing through and developing young talent, dropping down to the Championship set Jack back a couple of years if he had moved on when we were relegated the England team would probably be built around him right now.  But glad he is where he is right now.

Was just seeing online a radio phone in and the question was asked to chris sutton name a better english manager than smith right now.

He was going to say lampard but then hesitated to say lamps. Smiths the best english manager in the country.  If you wanna open it up to british its between him and rodgers

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Was just seeing online a radio phone in and the question was asked to chris sutton name a better english manager than smith right now.

He was going to say lampard but then hesitated to say lamps. Smiths the best english manager in the country.  If you wanna open it up to british its between him and rodgers

Rodgers isn’t British he is from Ireland.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just looked at our stats. They make for interesting reading. We're 15th for clearances, 12th for saves and 18th for passes. We're really low down on the list for everything, yet we're so high up on the things that count.

I'd love to sit down with Smith, Shakespeare and Terry and ask them why we're doing so well.

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

You have shown you can do it away at the big clubs, especially as they must be having a wobble of confidence after their last few results.

Just saw this in the Chelsea thread. It's incredible really when you consider our record against teams in the top half last season, that we are now competing in every single game. 

It's another incredible achievement to add to Dean's list. 

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There was an article  about us some weeks ago about how were bucking the trend for being a team not to press as much as others to regain possession. It pretty much said that we allow the opposition to have there possession and that not many sides do that and while were making so few tackles compared to our opponents, we are also seeing an awful lot of the ball. It's strange really, as you dont usually see things go this good when you play like that, so Smith and co must of really sussed alot of field work out to be able to let opposition have there bit of play and not go after the ball.

It's well known these days that tackles usually lead to cards and weve had an awful lot, so I guess the trick is to just make as little tackles as possible and try limit those cards. We also seem to bottle neck teams where we want them to go, then we pounce when the time is right, that takes some real understanding and discipline of the game that does. It's all not easy to do when opposition is hell bent going down one way to then make them go down the way you want them to go, it's very smart.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

It used to be GB and Ireland, it was never part of GB.

The nationality for the UK is British. Northern Ireland is (obviously, ridiculously, still) a part of the UK. The UK's full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Brendan Rodgers is from Northern Ireland and is British, but—I think thanks to the Good Friday Agreement—also Irish if he wishes to be.

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have noticed the improvement too.

• Like 2

Â