Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Leicester was a once in a lifetime occurrence. Hardly a yardstick.

I suppose they will say that about our European cup win.

its irrelevant.....they did it and so did we.

its not a yardstick, its a tangible example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’d be challenging for the title if they weren’t.

I agree we are not as good as some people thought. But we are much better than season so there is clear progression.  That’s the main thing for me. 

After 8 games?....a bit premature that.

The errors at the back have been sloppy, recently and resulted in dropping points...thats what i am saying.

I don't think its a valid argument to suggest we could have been at the top, had we not conceded them, (because the errors were school boy)...of course we could, that has been the contrast of our attacking play to our defensive play over the last 3 home games.

Its interesting in the disparity with home and away defensive attitudes.....its clear to me that it is discipline and concentration in the main.

I think Mings thinks, he is  a centre forward at home.....slight exageration of course.

 

Edited by TRO
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. I do find it strange that after the last two years, the same crowd want to dissect every mistake whenever we don't win a game. 

 

Would you rather we wait until we go on a losing run and it becomes more obvious and less defendable.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but "a stitch in time saves nine"

The defensive mistakes were horrid and unprofessional.....I am less concerned with the misses as brighton blocked really well and we are scoring goals in most of our games any way.

so its ok to mention some of the fabulous football we have played so far, but when we **** up I'm not allowed to mention it....or illustrate it.

it seems when we want to wax lyrical, we have the floor......when we want to make  dark observations, we are confined to the dungeon.......pretty balanced that don't you think?

 

Edited by TRO
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TRO said:

I suppose they will say that about our European cup win.

its irrelevant.....they did it and so did we.

its not a yardstick, its a tangible example.

your example is not great since we won the league the season before our European Cup win

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a strange one because  we have shown in games that we can defend like against Arsenal and Leicester and we did win 4 in a row. We have lost 3 at home in a row since that incredible victory against the champions. But the only game I would say we were totally outplayed was Leeds. I'm not yet convinced we have major issues in the defensive side of our game.  We are still a work in progress though and we will have lots of ups and downs. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Its a strange one because  we have shown in games that we can defend like against Arsenal and Leicester and we did win 4 in a row. We have lost 3 at home in a row since that incredible victory against the champions. But the only game I would say we were totally outplayed was Leeds. I'm not yet convinced we have major issues in the defensive side of our game.  We are still a work in progress though and we will have lots of ups and downs. 

Agreed. We have missed a shitload of chances in the games we have lost. Even against Leeds we had chances to win the game. We could easily be played 8 won 8 if we take said chances. Excellent start to the season.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Its a strange one because  we have shown in games that we can defend like against Arsenal and Leicester and we did win 4 in a row. We have lost 3 at home in a row since that incredible victory against the champions. But the only game I would say we were totally outplayed was Leeds. I'm not yet convinced we have major issues in the defensive side of our game.  We are still a work in progress though and we will have lots of ups and downs. 

Leeds yes, but Southampton also slaughtered us. That score line flattered us imho. Could have been 4-0.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Southampton fans have  spent the last evening bickering amongst themselves as to why they've given up the most amount of points from winning positions for the last couple of years considering their league position against where it was last year. Or if they just appreciate the journey they are on under the manager.

And, also, when you consider that stat. And the fact we almost pegged them back and only started playing when they allowed us too (apparently) , wether there is something a bit deeper there in the mentality. Are they calling all this into question and questioning the manager (they're not, for clarification). 

Hassenhuttl deserves some credit and some slack, as does Smith. Hassenhuttl and saints have been praised to high heaven on here... Smith is picked apart every time we don't win. We are 3 points behind them with a game in hand. 🤔

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like this "You score 4 we'll score 5" type approach Smith has gone with against the lesser sides at home.

Need to be more pragmatic and stay in a shape. So easy to get behind the defence.

We have forward players who can do the business. There is no reason for everyone to be bombing forward. I even saw Tyrone sprinting forward at one stage against Brighton. Madness.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TRO said:

After 8 games?....a bit premature that.

The errors at the back have been sloppy, recently and resulted in dropping points...thats what i am saying.

I don't think its a valid argument to suggest we could have been at the top, had we not conceded them, (because the errors were school boy)...of course we could, that has been the contrast of our attacking play to our defensive play over the last 3 home games.

Its interesting in the disparity with home and away defensive attitudes.....its clear to me that it is discipline and concentration in the main.

I think Mings thinks, he is  a centre forward at home.....slight exageration of course.

 

It's not premature to say that at all - it's clear to see and the table backs that up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We still have the third best defence in the league, if we had managed to cut out a few dodgy errors we'd be in a very healthy position.

It's frustrating I suppose as yes it is a good start but we could be better; that is life a constant striving for perfection.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it’s one win in four. This is the challenge for Smith. There is too much of a gap between the good and bad with Villa and he needs to find a solution. He also needs to find a way to use the squad more.

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We still have the third best defence in the league, if we had managed to cut out a few dodgy errors we'd be in a very healthy position.

It's frustrating I suppose as yes it is a good start but we could be better; that is life a constant striving for perfection.

The errors wouldn't be as costly if we didn't play such a high line.

I don't get it. We ain't Barcelona. We won't get away playing this way most weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Give me a break mate, he came on after 2 minutes. 

That was a positive for me.

Traore was the weak link second half (I thought he had a good first half) and was the obvious sub to make.

I'd hate to think Smith would sub someone else just because Traore had already been subbed on so didn't want to take him off.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's not premature to say that at all - it's clear to see and the table backs that up. 

The table is at Foetus stage....of course its premature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thejoker said:

I think 4-0 flattered Southampton massively at the time. They scored 3 worldies and pretty much scored with every shot they had. We weren’t great, especially 1st half but on chances created we should have taken a point at least.

Massive claret and blue specs, I think.

We went in 3-0 down at half time. Could have been even worse, they were 1-0 up after 2 mins but had a goal VAR’d out of existence by a whisker. And Cash could have seen red for the hand-ball, imho it was denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity. They must have had a dozen corners.

We didn’t exactly peg them back after 3-0 after half-time, as they got a fourth on the hour. Four nil, with half an hour to go. Even when the clock struck 90 it was 4-1. Yes we had played far better for those last 30 mins and yes we got two goals in injury time, but come on 4-1 after 90 minutes is not a match you’re unlucky to lose. We were well beaten.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We still have the third best defence in the league, if we had managed to cut out a few dodgy errors we'd be in a very healthy position.

It's frustrating I suppose as yes it is a good start but we could be better; that is life a constant striving for perfection.

If my auntie had balls she would be my uncle.....its the dodgy errors that deem us a defensively suspect side.

These errors are tossed around like bad luck......In some cases the players are simply " donuts".

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â