Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Love it towards the end when he talks about character being vital with the players we sign. You can completely see that in the way that the likes of Trez, Luiz, Keinan, Konsa and Targett have improved over the past year. Players who want to learn, want to improve and are part of a positive culture. After years of being ripped off by mercenaries this is the most refreshing thing for me. I have full faith in Dean and never wanted him sacked (not saying that to boast- I can understand why others had their doubts).

He just comes across as calm, measured, analytical and exactly what this club has needed for as long as i can remember.  I might be biased as I'm local to North Brum but I really feel that Dean gets it and is truly one of us - IMO whatever happens from here on in, he will be judged kindly in the history of this great club 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Trezeguet, the Egyptian winger, is the team’s unsung hero. As he’s one of only a few players not to have access to his own private garden, he was allowed to exercise alone on the practice pitches during the shutdown months when others trained at home. 

Rumour has it that he was training at home until @samjp26 complained to the front desk about the lunatic on the floor above doing box jumps 6 days a week

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Great article from the Athletic about the changes we've made - some really positive and exciting stuff here

That is a good article.

Very interesting to read about what goes on behind the scenes.

Tonight's a reality check.

What will seperate this season hopefully from our last decade is do we now go into our shells and feel sorry for ourselves for next two months as we've done for most seasons since 2010 or do we come back strong against Southampton who will press us in a similar style to Leeds and had our number in the two games last season.

A bad run will kill this promising season stone dead which I don't really want given how decent we've looked before tonight. What this season has shown is any team in this league is capable of a wretched 90 minutes but the best quickly bounce back. Man. United lost 6-1 at home to Spurs and within two weeks are beating PSG away. Man. City done o.k since losing 5-2 at home to Leicester so that's the type of mentality we need rather than collapsing like we tended to do whenever we were having a mini good run under Lambert.

Last season we were doing o.k and then Leicester knocked 4 past us at VP and we were in panic stations for next 3 months and probably would've gone down but for the stoppage.

Would imagine the 11 will be mixed up a bit next weekend, can see starts for Traore and Nakamba.

• Like 1

Game really hinged on that first goal, had either of Grealish's chances gone in it could've been a different game but once the momentum was with them it was game over.

A lot of Villa fans won't want to admit it but Leeds were brilliant tonight and that's the main reason we've lost.

• Like 1

Just now, Indigo said:

Game really hinged on that first goal, had either of Grealish's chances gone in it could've been a different game but once the momentum was with them it was game over.

A lot of Villa fans won't want to admit it but Leeds were brilliant tonight and that's the main reason we've lost.

They've absoluted dominated us to tonight , have to hold your hand up and say they've been much the better side, we've still got a lot to learn.

I'm not going to knock Smith, I'm have never been his biggest fan but I think that he should have took Trez off at half time and gave Traore a good 45 minutes, everything we have done has gone down the left all night, get Traore on and give them something to think about.

This has been a throw back to last season, lets hope that he can sort something out for the next match.

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Quite right Grealish nearly scored the goal of the season. Cant argue that didn't deserve to win though. 

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

We have been well beaten. Outfought for nearly the whole game. They've scythed through our poor midfield and murdered us down the flanks. 

Yes we've played badly but they have been very very good all over the pitch. 

I thought Dean & the coaching staff were poor tonight.  Did absolutely nothing to address the Leeds overload on the wings whatsoever which is quite bizarre and the reason Leeds won easily as has been correctly spotted by the commentators. Awful.

You could see from the off we were not at it tonight, sloppy, constantly giving the ball away needlessly, slow & laborious all over the pitch. I'm surprised Subs didn't come on sooner to shake it up a bit.

• Like 4

Â